Phantom 4 malfunction and loss

I totally agree with you during a catastrophic event. that's not the point I was trying to make. I was speaking more in terms of Joe blow flying his phantom 401 feet in the air. I highly doubt that information's going to make it back to the FAA.

The last thing in the world DJI wants is more government regulations that will hurt sales

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
Agreed. However, flying in Atti mode circumvents all NFZ and Geofencing, as I understand it, which is why Big Brother will be "monitoring" all such Atti activity. Don't underestimate DJI's willingness to please the FAA at the expense of their existing customers. They have already established that they are willing to sell at or below cost to build market share and kill off the competition. We reap the benefits of those prices! They intend to do whatever is necessary to stay on top, and keeping the FAA happy is integral to that mission. DJI has the staying power and is in this for the long haul, even if they lose money, along the way, getting there.

Actually flying in ATTI mode does not circumvent squat. The NFZ are still there and you can't fly in them. Go ahead. Try it.

Agreed. However, flying in Atti mode circumvents all NFZ and Geofencing, as I understand it, which is why Big Brother will be "monitoring" all such Atti activity. Don't underestimate DJI's willingness to please the FAA at the expense of their existing customers. They have already established that they are willing to sell at or below cost to build market share and kill off the competition. We reap the benefits of those prices! They intend to do whatever is necessary to stay on top, and keeping the FAA happy is integral to that mission. DJI has the staying power and is in this for the long haul, even if they lose money, along the way, getting there.

...and NFZ's and GeoFencing won't cripple your flight, if they can't find you, because you aren't using GPS...:cool:

Not sure I understand.

Who told you Atti bypasses GPS based safety restrictions?
This was never the case ever since they were introduced.

Exactly. This is the type of nonsense that people will throw out when it is patently false.

This was never the case ever since they were introduced.[/QUOTE]

Actually flying in ATTI mode does not circumvent squat. The NFZ are still there and you can't fly in them. Go ahead. Try it.
Thank you for the correction. I have never needed to bypass NFZ's, so I have never tested it.

What about with a tin foil hat to prevent GPS location, and turning of all location services on the tablet and flying in Atti then? I thought I had read there were ways to circumvent NFZ's, using Atti mode, instead of P-GPS.

There must be some reason that DJI requires agreement to tracking all telemetry on their servers when flying in Atti mode...

Last edited:
Exactly. This is the type of nonsense that people will throw out when it is patently false.

This was never the case ever since they were introduced.
I stated that was my understanding, not that it was a fact. Thank you for the correction! :cool:

If you actually read through the thread you would see where the moderator explained he changed it. Also a fly away is a little different than battery life and range issues.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
Still think it was wrong to change the thread title.
If I was Ralph and lost my P4, whether user error or DJI's error, and read the responses directed at me, I don't think I'd bother responding or returning to the list. This could be what is happening here.

If however, Ralph was trolling us - his silence would eventually speak for itself, without ever having to change the thread title, or have the moderator make a disparaging post directed at him.
I guess now it will just have to remain a mystery.
And if a second P4 owner has a "flyaway" after reading this, he might be inclined to seek advice on one of the friendlier DJI forums.
So it could be a while before we hear of any more - if they actually happen.

I have to chuckle though, there was a certain moderator here who posted some insulting responses to the first few forum members who were having problems with cracks in their frames, as he told them there was no such problem with the P3s. Now we all pretty much accept the fact that there were plenty of P3's with brittle frames that cracked and were replaced by DJI.

I think it is entirely possible that a P4 here and there might have a problem.

Reactions: Toph
Can't say I blame the guy for stepping out, I would have done the same if I got called a liar almost instantly.

Can you even get flight data if you don't have the drone in your possession hooked up to the app or a computer??
Yup, exactly how I would have dealt with the responses if I was new to the forum.
I'd think that this was not a place to seek advice or help and simply move on.

Agreed. Not saying they aren't good machines, but they are just machines

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Conducted my 2nd flight today with my P4. All firmware updated, IMUs & compass calibrated. No "GPS Not Available" issues, with a total flight time of about 21 minutes (running it down to 29%). Sorry Ralph.

Still think it was wrong to change the thread title.
If I was Ralph and lost my P4, whether user error or DJI's error, and read the responses directed at me, I don't think I'd bother responding or returning to the list. This could be what is happening here.

If however, Ralph was trolling us - his silence would eventually speak for itself, without ever having to change the thread title, or have the moderator make a disparaging post directed at him.
I guess now it will just have to remain a mystery.
And if a second P4 owner has a "flyaway" after reading this, he might be inclined to seek advice on one of the friendlier DJI forums.
So it could be a while before we hear of any more - if they actually happen.

I have to chuckle though, there was a certain moderator here who posted some insulting responses to the first few forum members who were having problems with cracks in their frames, as he told them there was no such problem with the P3s. Now we all pretty much accept the fact that there were plenty of P3's with brittle frames that cracked and were replaced by DJI.

I think it is entirely possible that a P4 here and there might have a problem.

- GoodnNUff, i can see an IF in your post. You still wondering IF that was a troll? A man on a flying horse could see that.
- If you would be Ralph, you would post your logs. And answer questions in detail
- If you were Virgin Mary, you would submit much more details about the incident.
- If someone's mindset is so out of whack not to understand how such incidents are investigated, one shouldn't fly at all
- Actually, that person shouldn't be let on streets alone, cause it poses danger to all other forms of life
- A second lost P4 owner with an IQ bit above an average house mouse will read Ralph's trolling thread start to end and realize how he should post such event unless he wants to join the troll hall of fame.

Moderators, please make a BIG BALD FAT sticky on the front page stating the rules of reporting flight incidents.
Hereby I refer to things such as:
-
AIRCRAFT TYPE
-MILEAGE, age, which props, last inspected when?
-PREVIOUS DAMAGES YES/NO
-FW aircraft, Batt, RC, Mobile APP, IOS Android
-Charge status of RC, tablet, phone
- RC calibrated or not, if yes, when ?
- Which app used during flight
-BATTERIES AGE, CHARGE CYCLES NO, STATUS AT TAKE OFF
-AIR TEMP AT FLIGHT TIME
-HUMIDITY, PRECIP, KP INDEX
- EXACT RANGE OF WIND SPEED/DRIFT AT GROUND LEVEL
- FLIGHT ALTITUDE
- IF UNKNOWN, exact time and place of flight
- LOGS uploaded to X or Y viewer
- compass calibrated last time when, where?
- IMU calibrated when, where, how?
- flight surroundings - tall buildings, power lines, flatlands, mountains?
- props, which, tightened how, inspected for damage last when?
- any other remarks, noises, sounds, strange behaviour recently?
- Any flights in dusty environments, landings on such surfaces?

For this list can go on, but i am too tired, and have to go to sleep. now. Sorry. Please contribute. Input from seasoned airplane pilots welcome.
All those submitting incidents without proper data are kindly requested by moderators to provide data in order to appear on forum

PS GoodnNuff, I completely support you in your judgement of the moderators reactions to frame crack problems

Lol! Promise I won't be a Ralph!
Not my video. Just something I came across watching vids today. No input on its merit or lack thereof
This was a phantom 2..... no comparison phantom 2 is a peasants drone now! lol I was wondering what was wrong with the camera...

Guys I have found the problem...

btQ07mv.jpg

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor