Phantom 4 Help!

Reaction score
I’m buying my first drone on Craigslist. Everything seems fine with it, never flown according to the owner.

So my question is

1. What should I️ look for to see if it’s in good condition
2. Any tests I️ need to do to make sure it works properly
3. Do I️ need a license to fly it? I️ live in CT.
4. What else would I️ need to fly it legally?

Thank you!

Hi, I’m pretty new with this as I’ve only had my phantom 4 for a few weeks now but I’ll give you my advice. I bought mine off eBay so I was honestly sweating bullets until it arrived and I was able to get it in the air for a test flight. There are so many Ebay horror stories out there! But it came as it was listed and the battery only had 10 charges on it when I got it. I would much rather be in your shoes where you will get to actually see it before you buy. If you have an iPhone, go to the App Store and download the dji go app for the phantom 4. Make you a dji account. You do this on their website if I remember correct. Make sure to take a charging cord with you. This is what connects your Phone to your controller. Have the seller make sure that the drone and controller are fully charged, maybe even ask if they will do any updates if needed. You can possibly do the updates yourself when you meet him if you need to and have decent cell reception. When you meet the seller ask if he’s ok with you starting it up to check that everything is good. Put your Phone in the holder and attach it with your lightning cord. To power on controller hit the power button once and the lights will light up showing how much charge there is, then immediately press it again and hold till all the lights light up and then release. Repeat these steps on the quad itself. The button is located on the battery. After both the controller and quad are powered up, open up the dji go app to access settings. I havent looked into it but I think there is a flight log that you can view to see if it really has never been flown. In the battery settings it will also tell you how many times your battery has been fully charged. Also watch some first flight videos so that you can learn a little about how to fly it. If you have any experience at all this one will be way easier to fly. I started out on a Syma X8HW. If you don’t have any experience, I prob wouldn’t get to crazy flying it Incase something were to go wrong. Also watch some unboxing videos so that you know what all pieces come with the drone. Mine was listed as all original accessories included but when it arrived it had no sd card in it. Seller is suppose to send one but I’m not holding my breath. Honestly though, youtube is your friend. You could always ask seller to fly it to show you it works, but that’s only if they got experience. If all else fails, start it up and do the auto take off and auto land just to be sure it will get off the ground. Like I said in the beginning, I’m fairly new so keep that in mind. Hopefully this book I just wrote can help you out a little

Also, according to the FAA as long as you’re recreational flying you do not have to take part in 107 certification. There is however a ton of guidelines that you have to abide by so you will def wanna do your homework to be sure you’re compliant.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94