Phantom 4 Flips Mid-Air

Hi All

My second phantom 4 just flipped mid-air and crashed... Both times it finished a mission and on its way back they just decided to flip and fall to the ground. Has anyone ever experienced this before? There hasn't been any warning or anything that appeared.

Hi All

My second phantom 4 just flipped mid-air and crashed... Both times it finished a mission and on its way back they just decided to flip and fall to the ground. Has anyone ever experienced this before? There hasn't been any warning or anything that appeared.
Upload the flight logs to DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help
Instructions at the link if you need them.

Share the link to the flight back here if you would like people to have a crack at determining what happened.

Flipping is rare. @wa5tef had an unexplained P4 flipping issue a while back.

Cons, yes!!! Phantom 4’s can flip upside down snd crash but DJI customer service will not recognize this as a problem. In my case from January of 2017 they denied my claim saying it was pilot error and rough landing! I tried all of February to just explain how this happened but all they did was lie, hang up on me, or transfer me to someone who knew nothing about my claim.

Good luck in finding out what happened and please post it here.

Jim
WA5TEF

msinger

Approved Vendor
Website
www.PhantomHelp.com
My second phantom 4 just flipped mid-air and crashed... Both times it finished a mission and on its way back they just decided to flip and fall to the ground. Has anyone ever experienced this before?
Common causes include a lost prop or disconnected battery. Your flight log will show if either of those was the case.

Both times it finished a mission and on its way back they just decided to flip and fall to the ground.
Another possibility would be a bird strike, which would not be unusual. Assuming you did not lose signal at the time of the incident, the logs should give hints to the cause.

msinger

Approved Vendor
Website
www.PhantomHelp.com
Another possibility would be a bird strike, which would not be unusual
Ever see a confirmed bird strike? Lots of people mention this, but it never seems to be the case.

A bird strike might knock the drone around but just try to manually grab a hovering Phantom and turn it over. See how much force it requires! Even if inverted and released it will immediately right itself back to its original position. A bird strike would have to inflict internal damage to the drone to mess up its stability and I don’t think that is very likely.

We’re you able to recover your flight logs?
Good luck
Jim
WA5TEF

Further on a bird strike: if a bird did hit one or more props the drone would tumble until it shut down and not fall down inverted. However DJI won’t accept this theory.

Thanks
Jim
WA5TEF

Upload the flight logs to DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help
Instructions at the link if you need them.

Share the link to the flight back here if you would like people to have a crack at determining what happened.

Flipping is rare. @wa5tef had an unexplained P4 flipping issue a while back.
What this event really needs to diagnose it properly is the aircraft and/or mobile device DAT file:

Aircraft V3 DAT file: How to retrieve a V3 .DAT File from the AC

Mobile device DAT file: How to retrieve a V3.DAT from the tablet

It is the first and only one I think I've seen though
Most times when that is mentioned, there is no video evidence for whatever reason, eithe not recording at the time, unrecoverable aircraft or other reasons. Like yourself it is the most definitive one I have seen.

My old P3 was taken down by a Raven... I was at about 175 ft up and 70 yards away. I saw the bird approach from the left and hit the side of the P3.... The P3 rolled over many times before landing on the landing gear (gear bronken and housing had cracks, gimbal destroyed)... all props were still intact and battery was still installed. So yes... a bird strike is a possibility. I was in P mode at the time and it did not correct it's self...

Last edited:

msinger

Approved Vendor
Website
www.PhantomHelp.com
Hi All

You had two P4s flipped over midflight? When you say "finished a mission" what app were you using, just curious. And yes please post the log.

Common causes include a lost prop or disconnected battery. Your flight log will show if either of those was the case.
Ok- so what might be the chance the OP could have two lost prop or battery disconnect issues on the same AC in quick succession? Not very common I wouldn't think. Probably won't be either of these.

Another possibility would be a bird strike, which would not be unusual. Assuming you did not lose signal at the time of the incident, the logs should give hints to the cause.
Im sure you meant would be unusual re the bird strike. Exceptionally unlikely in this case given the same problem has occurred twice. Two bird strikes with same AC = probably not...

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aliciaswan