Reaction score
Okay, so like many other people, I'm also experiencing the battery issues with my transmitter. I'm out of warranty so decided to try some things. Before I get to that here is my specific problem. See this thread (Thanks for your help and comments there!)

It does appear that after firmware update I started having this issue as well, however I'm not sure as I did leave the controller at 80% for many months. *Oops* took care of the phantom's batteries, but forgot the controller.
- Press power button, 4 blinking lights
- Start up sequence, normal, shows 3 lights as the charge. App states around 70%
- Let it drain (happens extremely fast maybe within an hour in RTH mode)
- Charge controller, will charge to 2 blinking lights then shut off
- Check battery levels, 40%
- Let it drain again (again, happens fast)
- Let it sit, check batter levels. Noticed % was 0% up to 13% without charging it. This would happen many many times.
- Repeat the attempted charge process (I have let it sit for days) to no avail

Thing's I've done since then:
- Taken apart controller and checked battery Voltage. When it had stopped charging on its own, battery was at 8.2V. Okay, thats a full charge, but lights indicate at 3.
- Let it drain for an hour until app reports 0%
- Check voltage again, 7.8V. Okay so that's still above the nominal voltage, it's charged.
- Hooked up to charger, LEDs indicating charging, check voltage. 8.3V, okay so it is charging appropriately.
- Removed battery and thanks to a few Youtube videos, specifically the one where the guy disassembles his battery pack (I do NOT recommend to anyone but LiPo experts) the two red and two black leads from the battery are actually soldered together.
- I have removed 1 back and 1 red wire from the JST connector and hooked up to my Thunder AC6 battery charger/discharger
- At this point it is also reading 8.2V (I had let it charge for 24 hours prior to this point)

So I suspect the actual battery pack is the fault here, and possibly I do have a bad cell from letting it sit at 80% for months, as I've observed some interesting things while discharging the battery. First, the battery cells are connected to a circuit board, likely controlling each cell for balance, charging, discharging, and possibly even a voltage regulator. As previously stated, I had connected the battery with it having 8.2V, however I did run the controller in RTH mode for an hour and the lights and app reported it being at <10%. As soon as I started the discharge mode (.5 amp) the voltage steadily dropped to 7.93V then continued downward from there at a steady rate. To this point I have roughly discharged 3500mah worth of the battery taking umpteen hours and the Voltage is 7.34. Great! Possibly the board was just uncalibrated. This is still in process, but I haven't seen or read anywhere of anyone else doing this so I thought I'd put my two cents in while the battery continues to drain. I'm monitoring estimated mah discharge because if the battery is voltage regulated, then it's possible that even with the battery at 15% charge, the regulator will push as much voltage as it can safely until it's very dead and I could also damage the cells that way.

*Just a note about the regulator comment. I'm not certain on this. I'm not an electrical engineer, and don't know the circuitry very well, nor am I about to take apart my lipo pack to inspect it. I'm not sure of the discharge capacity (ie. 5C or 25C) of each cell, which would be necessary to calculate the voltage as the battery levels drop.

I will update this with info as things play out. It will take days, as I am not leaving the battery connected while I'm not home. Then I would like to fully charge it (at least 8 hours, ideally 24) in the controller once I'm finished discharging, then of course testing battery life and attempt to recharge again.

Reactions: jogforfitness
After 9 additional flights, I've given in a purchased a new controller. I want to get the Phantom 4 Pro, but it's not enough of an upgrade for me (aside from the mechanical shutter)

Here's what happened since the first post.
I managed to discharge the battery to 6V then re-installed in the controller and put the controller back together. No power to the controller when attempting to turn on, good. After, I left it to charge for 24 hours. After 4 hours, the controller was still charging with the indication of >75%. Next day after 24 hours, indicator lights were off. Checked battery level, 3 solid, 4th flashing. Went for a test flight and noticed battery level was 80% in the App. Fair enough, maybe I lost 20% capacity by not tending to it while it was in storage. After 3 flights (I have 3 batteries), the controller was beeping. UGH! Bought it back charged the batteries then the controller and again left the controller for 24 hours. Next flight, battery level was already down to 65% right off the charger. Okay, well let me wear out the battery through the controller again. Repeated the whole process to no avail. I can barely get through 3 batteries before the controller dies. I will check out what the voltage is reporting later on when the controller reports 0%. Until then, new controller.

Last edited:
Can we buy new batteries for controllers if didn't store properly? Left mine stored for 9 months. Completely dead and trying to recharge all again.

Controller Won't Charge

Posted a fix here that worked for me

Hi, can you post link to the fix? I have had four or five radios all with the same problem within the last month or two. Never had even one before that. Not sure if it is related to any recent firmware updates but I can add that I have tried swapping out batteries and the problem persists. I have tried a half dozen working batteries and same results. The problem appears to be in the charge circuit not in the cable, charger or battery. I would really like to know about how you resolved it, thank you in advance.

Hi, can you post link to the fix? I have had four or five radios all with the same problem within the last month or two. Never had even one before that. Not sure if it is related to any recent firmware updates but I can add that I have tried swapping out batteries and the problem persists. I have tried a half dozen working batteries and same results. The problem appears to be in the charge circuit not in the cable, charger or battery. I would really like to know about how you resolved it, thank you in advance.
Click on “Controller Won’t Charge” in the post immediately above your post (that’s the link). Scroll down to post #7 in that thread.

Reactions: pcon
What Pharm said

Reactions: Pharm
Click on “Controller Won’t Charge” in the post immediately above your post (that’s the link). Scroll down to post #7 in that thread.

He is basically removing the balancing circuit from the battery. Is yours holding up ok?

My P4 is a refurbished model from kogan just under $1000 when i charge the controller it wont stay on all night only for 15 mins then stops now the controller wont charge at all and stoill waiting for the seller to return an email any ideas anyone and where is the battery in the controller

My P4 is a refurbished model from kogan just under $1000 when i charge the controller it wont stay on all night only for 15 mins then stops now the controller wont charge at all and stoill waiting for the seller to return an email any ideas anyone and where is the battery in the controller

My P4 RC wouldn't fully charge. After each firmware update it got worse. I sent it in to dji (California). It took slightly less than a month. They sent me a new RC.

I had a similar problem with my P4 standard. I took it to an authorized repair shop in South Florida (one of only 2 or 3 in the US auth by DJI) They said the battery control circuit board was malfunctioning and that even a battery replacement would not work. So I took a great leap of faith and called DJI. After 2 weeks of back and forth about firmware updates and other diversions from them they agreed to take it back. (Under warranty from an April 2017 purchase). Once I got that agreement they sent a case number and a UPS return label immediately. They logged the shipment of my old controller in California on Sept 26. After weekly calls to them about the status (their on line status page is a waste of time) they said it was approved but they were waiting to get more into inventory. Bottom line, they received it on Sept 26 and I got a new controller on Nov 6. All in all, not too bad.

If your rc is not fully charging and turning off try this, pressing on/off button on the controller together with the home landing button, keep pressing until the rc starts beeping then it should start charging.

If your rc is not fully charging and turning off try this, pressing on/off button on the controller together with the home landing button, keep pressing until the rc starts beeping then it should start charging.

This sounds like an amazingly simple fix. Unfortunately my remote is back to DJI for dealing with this issue. Has anybody tested this method with success?

Mine also. Repairs organised with DJI online. Collection by UPS on Monday, arrived at DJI repair centre in Holland yesterday, got an email from DJI today, it is on its way back to me, repaired FOC. The unit was out of warranty by 8 months. I don't know if it has been repaired or a new unit, or if they simply did a reset as suggested above, but at this moment have no complaints at the service received.

A

I sent my controller to DJI which was out of warranty and got it back in about 4 weeks. Works well with the 1.9.3 firmware.

My P4 controller wouldn't charge after only about 5 flights. I hadn't used it for about 6 months and when i tried charging it it wouldn't get past the 1st LED light. I sent it in to my local DJI repair center (which is only about 12 miles away) and it hasn't even been a week yet and its already on its was back fixed!
I bought it Nov 2016 and wasn't charged a dime to have it repaired! Thats pretty good on DJI to cover it under warranty. Thanks!
I am not sure if they are sending me a new controller or just fixed the battery issue which i believe was a balancing issue.
If you are having the same issue and your P4 is out of warranty, i would still contact DJI and see if they'll cover the issue under warranty.

Mine was months out of warranty and exhibited the same behavior; would not charge. Contacted DJI online, sent it back to them, they fixed/replaced it and sent it back to me. Works great. Very good service.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers