Phantom 4 compass calibration

Reaction score
I got a phantom 4, for Christmas. First time having a drone with GPS and all the fancy bells and whistles. All my previous drones where the $50 variety with no sophistication at all. I read the manual and it said compass calibration only needs to be done when the DJI app calls for it. However a few sentences down it says calibrate the compass for every flight. So do I need to calibrate the compass or not? I'm reading as much as I can trying to get familiar with this just don't want to make a mistake thank you Jason

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

You will need to calibrate the compass the very first time you set up. If you then fly from a new location somewhere else then you will need to re calibrate again. Several flights from the same location will only need one calibration unless the app calls for a new calibration. Hope this helps. Happy flying

Check out the compass calibration guide for the best advice on when to calibrate the compass.
Some of that is out of date for the P4 and P4P. The way the compass operates is different than the previous P3 and earlier models. :)

For example, this is no longer true:

DO Calibrate
  • Location change (greater than ~100 miles).
  • Significant change in terrain (e.g. to / from mountains).

You will need to calibrate the compass the very first time you set up. If you then fly from a new location somewhere else then you will need to re calibrate again.
This is incorrect. With the phantom 4 and P4Pro, you should only calibrate compass if the app tells you to, or if to troubleshoot some kind of issue where the craft is not flying correctly (such as turning slowly while hovering, etc).

This is incorrect. With the phantom 4 and P4Pro, you should only calibrate compass if the app tells you to, or if to troubleshoot some kind of issue where the craft is not flying correctly (such as turning slowly while hovering, etc).

That's what I read in my manual, I have not calibrated it. I have flown it four times about 25 minutes each time with zero issues

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: F3honda4me
The only time I have re-calibrated my compass is at new locations. I now have many hours of flight time with the p4 with no issues so fare apart from some slight drift on one occasion where I have checked and re-calibrated the IMU.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31