Phantom 4 Channel Mod and Range Information.

With some of the reports going around I have been having a think and have some suggestions for folks to try if your suffering from poor range. Whilst there have been many changes to the power outputs cross all of DJI craft none of these would result in large differences in flight distance some people are seeing, in fact the Phantom 4 has more output than the last revision of the Phantom 3 so this rules out it being related to that, also what is often forgotten is that the CE region output is about 75% less power than FCC and we are still able to achieve long range results and comparable distance to FCC areas.

To be clear I am not saying some folks are not having issues I just don’t believe any output changes are the cause.

Antenna Orientation

First of all make sure you understand correct antenna orientation
See DJI tutorial below

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Next look at your flight environment, Lightbridge is on 2.4Ghz and although it’s a strong link WiFi congested areas will have a large impact on range there are some things you can do to try and get around this.
Look at the HD menu below and see if your getting interference or connection

Clear channels are signified by a Green Bar
Channels in Use or that have interference will show with a Red Bar
Your current channel will show with a Blue Bar

Manual Channel Selection

Next try selecting a clear channel manually by using Custom Channel in DJI Go

Note: if your in the UK or some other countries DJI go will not allow you to select Custom Channels, Change your devices region to USA and the option will now work.

Go to Image Transmission Settings in the main menu and select the HD menu

646AB5C9-A9B4-49B5-986C-0AEBED3BA076_zpsn3q15csy.png

Change Channel Mode to Custom and select a clear channel, you looking for one with a green bar showing its stable, ideally try ch16 if its clear.
Set Transmission Quality to 4Mbps
Test now, If its still no better try the following.

Expand to 32 Channels

This is a channel expansion mod that allows you to select all 32 channels instead of the 8 normal ones available to you and other WiFi devices, this means you can put your connection on a channel thats less likely to be in use no matter where you are, once you have done this follow the process above but this time select a clear channel well out the way of the normal 13-20

Download the Files Here, this file is zipped up and will need to be unzipped.
Dropbox - DJI Config File.rar

Android

Connect your Android device to your computer
Download the attached file DJI.configs
Copy the config file to the root directory of \Android\data\dji.pilot\files
Launch the DJI Go app and you will see that the remote controller now shows support for 32 channels.

iOS

Connect your device to iTunes on your computer
Click ‘Add File’ and copy the file to DJI Go Documents
Launch the app and you should now have the 32 channels available.
Again Note if your in the UK or some other countries DJI go will not allow you to select Custom Channels, Change your devices region to USA the option will now work.

Once you have done this as posted try selecting a clear channels well up the band away from the normal 8 again looking to avoid channels with red bars or are surrounded by red bars, then set Transmission Quality to 4Mbps, you may need to try multiple channels before you find one that’s gives best performance.

DJI Go App

Signal issues can be related to the tablet overheating, Make sure you keep it out of its case and its keep as cool as possible before use, use a sunshade if you can.

Also try with a different device if you have one available.

Comparing 2 Craft

If your comparing 2 craft like the P3 and P4 and are finding the range of the P4 is substantially less than the P3 try the following.

1: Set both craft on custom and select CH16 if clear and set both to the 4Mbps bit rate, Test one craft at a time with the other turned off completely, both controller and craft not in use must be off.

2: If still substantially different try the same but test on 3 separate channels, Bottom, Middle and Top of the channel band and look at the results.

3: Try binding your P3 or Inspire Controller to the P4 and test again as above.

Overall even two identical craft may have slight differences in range, there are many factors that can affect the range of one over another even being tested at the same time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Great summary for optimizing the performance, but the fact is that both the P4 aircraft and the P4 transmitter each have 20% less power output, for video and range control, than the original W323 Phantom 3 Professional with the original GL300A controller.
========
WM330A P4 Aircraft
FCC ID: 2AHAY-WM3301601 .598 Watts v. 0.746 Watts on P3P W323 (80%)
GL300C
P4 Transmitter
FCC ID: SS3-GL3001510 .303 Watts v. 0.380 Watts on P3P GL300A (80%)
=========
Most of the P4 early adopters are the same pilots who purchased the early P3P units with the very best video and best control range, such that they will be disappointed by the range and FPV instability of the P4 at long distance over a mile and anywhere close to the touted 3.1 mile range. The disappointing P4 battery life is a separate issue covered elsewhere.

I myself performed exactly the same test you recommended with my P4 and my P3 over the exact same flight route, within 20 minutes of each other, with identical settings for the channel (30) and FPV bitrate (4 Mbs), using the same windsurfer on each. The P4 entered into RTH at 6700 feet away at 400 feet. The P3P easily flew out 3 miles at 200 feet directly over the same route. Using a modded transmitter, the P4 was then able to fly the same 3 mile route at 200 feet but started intermittently dropping FPV for several seconds past 2 miles. YMMV.

With some of the reports going around I have been having a think and have some suggestions for folks to try if your suffering from poor range. Whilst there have been many changes to the power outputs cross all of DJI craft none of these would result in large differences in flight distance some people are seeing, in fact the Phantom 4 has more output than the last revision of the Phantom 3 so this rules out it being related to that, also what is often forgotten is that the CE region output is about 75% less power than FCC and we are still able to achieve long range results and comparable distance to FCC areas.

To be clear I am not saying some folks are not having issues I just don’t believe any output changes are the cause.

Antenna Orientation

See DJI tutorial below

Next look at your flight environment, Lightbridge is on 2.4Ghz and although it’s a strong link WiFi congested areas will have a large impact on range there are some things you can do to try and get around this.

Manual Channel Selection

Note: if your in the UK or some other countries DJI go will not allow you to select Custom Channels, Change your devices region to USA and the option will now work.

Change Channel Mode to Custom and select a clear channel, you looking for one with a green bar showing its stable, ideally try ch16 if its clear.

Expand to 32 Channels

This is a channel expansion mod that allows you to select all 32 channels instead of the 8 normal ones available to you and other WiFi devices, this means you can put your connection on a channel thats less likely to be in use no matter where you are, once you have done this follow the process above but this time select a clear channel well out the way of the normal 13-20

Android

Launch the DJI Go app and you will see that the remote controller now shows support for 32 channels.

iOS

Again Note if your in the UK or some other countries DJI go will not allow you to select Custom Channels, Change your devices region to USA the option will now work.

Once you have done this as posted try selecting a clear channels well up the band away from the normal 8 again looking to avoid channels with red bars or are surrounded by red bars, then set Transmission Quality to 4Mbps, you may need to try multiple channels before you find one that’s gives best performance.

DJI Go App

Signal issues can be related to the tablet overheating, Make sure you keep it out of its case and its keep as cool as possible before use, use a sunshade if you can.

Comparing 2 Craft

If your comparing 2 craft like the P3 and P4 and are finding the range of the P4 is substantially less than the P3 try the following.

1: Set both craft on custom and select CH16 if clear and set both to the 4Mbps bit rate, Test one craft at a time with the other turned off completely, both controller and craft not in use must be off.

2: If still substantially different try the same but test on 3 separate channels, Bottom, Middle and Top of the channel band and look at the results.

Overall even two identical craft may have slight differences in range, there are many factors that can affect the range of one over another even being tested at the same time.

Where can I find the config file? Everyone who posted the location of it had empty folders...

I see the file in explorer but when I try to add file in my ipad it says I need to "unlock my ios device" help!

Still no luck:-( I tried re-connecting but still got this ... Gyazo - c8fd95f001ec3a39afd82f0e9201f09c.png
So your iPad is properly connected to the computer with the ORIGINAL Apple data connection cable, and on the main IPad screen, after logging in to the iPad, and your iPad screensaver is set to not timeout and engage during the copying, by being set long enough?

It's an Apple permissions issue. I would try an online Apple chat, or research the issue of setting permissions to view your Downloads folder on your iPad from iTunes on your computer. Good luck! It's definitely doable!

Reactions: MexicoDrones
So your iPad is properly connected to the computer with the ORIGINAL Apple data connection cable, and on the main IPad screen, after logging in to the iPad, and your iPad screensaver is set to not timeout and engage during the copying, by being set long enough?

It's an Apple permissions issue. I would try an online Apple chat, or research the issue of setting permissions to view your Downloads folder on your iPad from iTunes on your computer. Good luck! It's definitely doable!

Thanks but yea it is properly connected etc. I can view everything and transfer movies and such. Just not this config file. Also just to confirm...it tells me it is replacing another config file in the folder (I see other files but not this)

Thanks but yea it is properly connected etc. I can view everything and transfer movies and such. Just not this config file. Also just to confirm...it tells me it is replacing another config file in the folder (I see other files but not this)
Yes, let it replace/overwrite the existing file! :cool: I wasn't able to view the actual file itself either, now that I recall, but it is there, and can be replaced by this method. Remember, you also must use Custom Channel to take advantage of the hack. Auto Channel selection can only use the original limited channels.

Reactions: MexicoDrones
Enable hidden files.

Open terminal and paste this

then hold option key and right click on finder, relaunch
Sorry could you explain what you mean by "Open terminal"? What terminal are you referring to? This is probably obvious to many but I am ignorant. thanks

Yes, let it replace/overwrite the existing file! :cool: I wasn't able to view the actual file itself either, now that I recall, but it is there, and can be replaced by this method. Remember, you also must use Custom Channel to take advantage of the hack. Auto Channel selection can only use the original limited channels.
Thanks for confirming this. But yea I could not get beyond here though. It would not let me replace the file after I selected to go ahead and paste. This is where that error message shows up:-(

Antenna Orientation

See DJI tutorial below

Manual Channel Selection

Expand to 32 Channels

Android

iOS

DJI Go App

Comparing 2 Craft

Definitely the best post I've seen on this forum!

Concise and fruitful. True, level headed and as a guy that doesn't care much about range as long as I can get about 300 meters, I'm fine (I mean 300 solid). Thank you.

Just go to your iPhone iPad settings -language area-
and change your area to USA or Uk
and it will unlock the rest of the channels

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Styler Wang
Just go to your iPhone iPad settings -language area-
and change your area to USA or Uk
and it will unlock the rest of the channels

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
Was the channel restriction only a USA restriction?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31