Phantom 4 batteries - what do you do?

Reaction score
I have a question, what if you guys took a 5-10 min flight with your P4 when battery was at a 100%, and when you are done with flying you have about 50-60% battery left. Do you then charge the battery from 50-60% (depends on how “short” was your flight) to 100% or take it down on your next flight to 15% or percent when you charge it normally to 100%? I heard it is bad for batteries to charge them when they have 50-60-70% to 100, I heard that you should drain it to 10-15-20% after a long (example 25 min) flight and then normally charge it back to 100%. But then, charging the battery from half charged to full charged makes the battery last longer than if you drain it always to 10-20% and then charge it to 100%. What are your opinions?

Reactions: shadow1
.............Bottom Line....what ever you decide to do about the drones batterys:rolleyes:....Never Ever Recharge them un tell they are cooled
to room temperature !

I know theirs More "guro's" here too.......But i like the Msingers ideas and i take them 100%....plus many many others here too !

Thanks to all mods and helpful members for the last year here on PP....you sure have helped me immensely ! :)

I have a question, what if you guys took a 5-10 min flight with your P4 when battery was at a 100%, and when you are done with flying you have about 50-60% battery left. Do you then charge the battery from 50-60% (depends on how “short” was your flight) to 100% or take it down on your next flight to 15% or percent when you charge it normally to 100%? I heard it is bad for batteries to charge them when they have 50-60-70% to 100, I heard that you should drain it to 10-15-20% after a long (example 25 min) flight and then normally charge it back to 100%. But then, charging the battery from half charged to full charged makes the battery last longer than if you drain it always to 10-20% and then charge it to 100%. What are your opinions?
You heard wrong.
The batteries have no memory and it's quite safe to charge them from any level.
There's also no need to run them down.
Here are the two principles that are important.
1. It's bad for the battery to leave it stored at 100% or very low.
2. It's asking for trouble flying with a battery that's been sitting around partly charged.
Only fly with a full battery.

Your batteries willl self-discharge to a safe storage level (around 50%) and you can set the number of days to discharge.
After flying, if you aren't going to fly again the next day, charge to about 50% and leave then.

If I fly down to around 50% to 60% I leave them as they are in the store range. Charge to 100% on fly day. Never store long term drained or fully charge. If the battery is fully charged and I plan to fly in the week I leave them charged, fly them down to around 20% let cool then storage charge using dji hub to 50-60 (third light starts to blink) and store in a cool place. My 4 batteries have well over 100 cycles and are 2.5 years old and still light up all 4 lights for battery life and I get the same fly times. Like Meta4 said they have no memory (somewhat like me at times)...Always take off with a full charge.

Reactions: Quamera
And also how about adding : That 10 days is default setting for the auto discharge by Dji......its been said here that the best setting for the batterys is to be set to auto discharge is 3 days NOT 10 as the default dji setting is ! This all relates to a battery thats charged to 100%" ! to set it to 3 days....you need to go in the Dji Go app...click upper right corner to bring UP settings screen then scroll to batterys settings....Good Luck to you.

MSinger in the link provided above might have included what i did.Oh well if he did here it is again i checked the link and never
seen what i posted so it be !

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl