Phantom 4 Advanced - Almost Fly Away in High Winds. Keen for an expert to look at flight data.

Reaction score
After reviewing my flight records. My error in judgment came from not checking the change in wind speed.

IMG_7774.jpg
IMG_7775.jpg

Here is Phanton help flight URL from uploaded flight data.

Here is a YouTube clip of flight recorded.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Here is the shots I got before the flight went sour.

DJI_0117.jpg
DJI_0133.jpg

Anyone with advice. ?

The most obvious is don’t fly when winds exceed the drones tolerance. Interested in how the GPS error occurred and the rest of the flight was in Atti mode. Fortunately I’d had enough experience to turn the camera toward me and push forward 100% on the stick and then lower enough to hand grab and CSC.

Reactions: sdileon
After reviewing my flight records. My error in judgment came from not checking the change in wind speed.

Here is Phanton help flight URL from uploaded flight data.
https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogView...k and then lower enough to hand grab and CSC.
Looking at your data, at 3:57, the drone is hovering at 80 feet without any joystick input but it's having to actively fly at 0-0.7 mph to maintain its position, which indicates a significant wind at that height.
The roll data also shows the drone leaning into the wind to fight against it.
At 7:38.9 there is an unexplained drop in GPS satellites from 20-zero, which leaves the drone in atti mode without horizontal position holding for 5 seconds.
When GPS sats appear to come back to normal, the GPS Level stays at zero indicating the flight controller does not have confidence in the GPS position data.
GPS continues to drop in and out but GPS level stays at zero and the drone is in Atti Mode for much of the flight and controllable but subject to being blown around and it has no "brakes".

Throughout the flight there are numerous warning messages saying:
GPS data error. Please contact DJI Support.​
GPS disconnected.​
Satellite Positioning Off. Fly with caution​
There is a hardware fault with the GPS receiver.
The drone never attempted to "fly away" and was controllable at all times.

Try a test flight in calm conditions and if it is still there it will require fixing.
Maybe it's just a loose connection (?) or perhaps it's more serious than that.

Reactions: RodPad
Wow, That's Extremely Detailed and very accurate as to what was happening after loss of GPS. Drone has been Packed away until I can test in Calm conditions. This drone is only 1 week old. So maybe a good Idea to contact DJI Support with this Data? OR will it be incriminating.

Appreciate your very Knowlegable response to this Event. Thank you. Meta4.

Reactions: Meta4
Wow, That's Extremely Detailed and very accurate as to what was happening after loss of GPS. Drone has been Packed away until I can test in Calm conditions. This drone is only 1 week old. So maybe a good Idea to contact DJI Support with this Data? OR will it be incriminating.

Appreciate your very Knowlegable response to this Event. Thank you. Meta4.
You obviously handles it well to manage it on that flight.
A simple test flight in calm conditions should be no problem and would indicate whether it was a one-off or a real issue.
I can't see anything incriminating in the data.
It could only further support a case for repair if that's needed.

I just tested takeoff and landing only 3 times and GPS was working well. Is it something I should still take up with DJI ?

Since it took 7 minutes to fail in the flight above, I'd be hesitant to give it a pass until it proves it can do a whole battery.
You’re absolutely right. My initial test was just to check systems and launch and land. Wind started to pick up. So next time I’ll do a full flight plan and really test out a full battery. Just to see if GPS errors occur again in a safe environment.

ps ... just saw your question on that other forum.
GPS works find in the middle of a cyclone, just as it does in calm weather.
It has zero effect on GPS.
It’s a concern if it turns out to be a hardware issue. No flights and contact with DJI.

@ozboyblu,

WOW!

It did say contact DJI Support, If it crashes later is DJI going to say you ignored the warnings?

Satellite signals dropping to zero, flight log states GPS disconnected.

You made two posts before I finished mine. ;)

Rod

@Meta4,
GPS disconnected?

Have seen anything like this before?
In other words, can this be anything but a hardware problem?

Rod

@ozboyblu,

WOW!

It did say contact DJI Support, If it crashes later is DJI going to say you ignored the warnings?

Satellite signals dropping to zero, flight log states GPS disconnected.

You made two posts before I finished mine. ;)

Rod
Their are multiple warnings one is also GPS error land and restart drone. So I’m not really ignoring their instructions.

No GPS is no great problem in an open area with no/light wind.
It's not going to cause the drone to crash - it's just the same as switching to atti mode.
@Meta4,
GPS disconnected?
Have seen anything like this before?
In other words, can this be anything but a hardware problem?
I guess it's either just a loose GPS connection or an intermittently bad receiver, with the loose connection probably the most likely.

@ozboyblu ..This could indeed be hardware or wiring related. However, the data indicates @~85 seconds in to the flight, the IMU indicated a positioning error which remained for the entire flight. That could be the root of the issue. If that is the case, an IMU and compass re-cal could be all you need to clear that. Only a suggestion for something you can try.

1571500696231.png

@ozboyblu ..This could indeed be hardware or wiring related. However, the data indicates @~85 seconds in to the flight, the IMU indicated a positioning error which remained for the entire flight. That could be the root of the issue. If that is the case, an IMU and compass re-cal could be all you need to clear that. Only a suggestion for something you can try.

View attachment 115098
That’s great information. Thank you for this. I’ll be sure to recalibrate IMU and compass before I test again in calm conditions. Hopefully the GPS error is a once off. If it occurs again most likely will be hardware related. Eg a loose connection or 3 in 1 board.

@ozboyblu,
You have been a member over a year.
You must have had some other flying experiences?

When I viewed the flight log.
P-GPS / ATTI, In and Out, and you brought it home!! ;)

WOW

Rod

Reactions: ozboyblu
@ozboyblu,
You have been a member over a year.
You must have had some other flying experiences?

When I viewed the flight log.
P-GPS / ATTI, In and Out, and you brought it home!! ;)

WOW

Rod
Yeah my first drone 2017 was a phantom 3 std had it 10 mths before I sold it and bought a spark combo. Then only a week ago got an amazing deal on the P4A.

So the previous experience of flying the P3S and Spark. Really helped put my situation with all the errors. Can’t say I didn’t panic, but 5 mins of returning the aircraft back to me in tough conditions is something I’ll remember for a long time. I’m extremely grateful I got it back in one piece.

I have recalibrated the IMU and Compass. Will fly again when calm conditions are available to test for GPS errors.

3C67517B-8559-4533-8A3E-E97485C4707C.png
261D7638-C4CC-4C3B-91C0-6E9CC29A5CDA.png

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic