Phantom 3P falls out of sky

I was watching my voltage at 30% charge after flying from a fully charged battery and it never went below 3.5 V per cell, even at full throttle. I think the issue is isolated to flying on a not recently charged battery...

I was watching my voltage at 30% charge after flying from a fully charged battery and it never went below 3.5 V per cell, even at full throttle. I think the issue is isolated to flying on a not recently charged battery...
I happen to believe it may be coupled with flying on a battery that has just started the discharge mode, making the voltage sensing go nutty somehow. It's just a guess on my behalf, but there seems to be a pattern of what you're saying, and it might have to do with the discharge routine. I'd have a lot more confidence in my Phantom if DJI would guarantee the new 1.6 firmware CANNOT shut off power during flight, under ANY circumstance. That power shut scheme they implemented is really whacked, and they haven't stated it has been removed. Everyone is still a little paranoid, and we shouldn't have to be. Logically you should be able to fly 5min on a 60% charged battery, but we all know (most of us) that's looking for trouble if you do that with a Phantom 3.

FlyNFrank, have you tested 1.6 to see if taking off on 60% charged battery, starting from off, is safe to fly until the battery meter says 30%? If you have tested the battery reliability of 1.6 firmware, can you share what you have done for testing?

Last edited:
I happen to believe it may be coupled with flying on a battery that has just started the discharge mode, making the voltage sensing go nutty somehow. It's just a guess on my behalf, but there seems to be a pattern of what you're saying, and it might have to do with the discharge routine. I'd have a lot more confidence in my Phantom if DJI would guarantee the new 1.6 firmware CANNOT shut off power during flight, under ANY circumstance. That power shut scheme they implemented is really whacked, and they haven't stated it has been removed. Everyone is still a little paranoid, and we shouldn't have to be. Logically you should be able to fly 5min on a 60% charged battery, but we all know (most of us) that's looking for trouble if you do that with a Phantom 3.

FlyNFrank, have you tested 1.6 to see if taking off on 60% charged battery, starting from off, is safe to fly until the battery meter says 30%? If you have tested the battery reliability of 1.6 firmware, can you share what you have done for testing?

I agree the phantom should never shut off.

From my posts before and work with lipo batteries the results of the test you describe will vary. For example, if you charge a battery up to 100% and fly it down to 60% and turn if off for 5 min and then turn it back on, it may read higher than 60% but I am pretty confident you could fly safely to 30%. If you let 5 days go by it may read even higher and I would definitely not do it. I just flew two battery downs to 28 and 23. I will check what they read tonight just before charging them. I bet it will be higher....if I waited longer it may go as high as 70%

On the motors shutting off there could be more information we do not know that may make sense...it just seems pretty foolish to me to do it only to protect the battery....

So after 4 hours the battery that was at 23% at landing read 20%....kind of surprised me. I think longer time span is required.m to create the error...

Last edited:
You can fly full throttle. Just keep an eye on the battery voltage.

It's a good idea to consider landing when the battery is at about 30% or 3.4V. You should certainly watch the battery voltage though to ensure it does not dip below 3.0V. Even if the battery is at 3.5V while hovering, it could dip below 3.0V if you put it under a lot of stress (e.g. a full throttle steep climb).

This is exactly what I do. I keep an eye on the voltage and if it looks like it's getting anywhere near 3.0v under load, I stop applying full throttle.

I fly full throttle and like to spin mine around like a sports car.

I never even knew you could monitor the battery voltage. let alone know that the unit shuts off if it dips under 3V

They need more clarity for sure.

I fly full throttle and like to spin mine around like a sports car.

I never even knew you could monitor the battery voltage. let alone know that the unit shuts off if it dips under 3V

They need more clarity for sure.
Since DJI is exhibiting at CES this week I'll be quizzing them on this issue. Hopefully I can learn something. They need to provide more detail about the before and after routines to prevent battery damage. If they would simply tell me it's impossible to have automatic power shutdown under any circumstance during flight I'd be happy. I'm OK with power shutdown of the battery if it's not flying.

Here is what the log looks like.
There is a voltage dip at 13v already in the 1st seconds of flight. According to log you took off at 63% i.e your battery was in a charged state of 2785mAh out of possible 4422mAh.
Check the altitude graph you will see you were climbing when power shut down.
You crashed 150meters from your home point. The Phantom fell from 100meteres down - must have made a big splash!
I've seen a lot of similar logs in last 2 to 3 months, not before - so can only assume this is a "bug" in one of the later updates.
You should provide DJI with the log DJIFlightRecord_2015-12-27_[08-41-01].txt that you posted. I believe they should replace it for free as taking off with 63% and crashing due to voltage at below 12v after only 1.30 minutes with a battery temp that is ok indicates there is an error in the software indicating 63% at start of flight. Battery was more like 15% full when you took off.

View attachment 38618
What tool are you using to view the log file?

I was flying my phantom on vacation. I was 300 feet up about 100 feet out. No big deal but i lost signal instantly. It didn't get weak like it normally does when your too far away. It just cut out. Moved my controller to try to get signal. I hear it buzzing out of the sky and into the water. What happened? Will DJI refund me as flyaway if i send my flight log? I have recording up until I lost signal.
If you need a repair shop check out ALLTRONIX at 260-498
I was flying my phantom on vacation. I was 300 feet up about 100 feet out. No big deal but i lost signal instantly. It didn't get weak like it normally does when your too far away. It just cut out. Moved my controller to try to get signal. I hear it buzzing out of the sky and into the water. What happened? Will DJI refund me as flyaway if i send my flight log? I have recording up until I lost signal.
if you need a repair shop call ALLTRONIX at 270-498-6892

Last edited:
Reactions: yawnalot29

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1