phantom 3 video problems

Reaction score

can anyone help? Firmware up and downgrade tried, multiple sd cards and or taqblets phones tried, all video resolutions modes etc tried, now what?

Looks like Wi-Fi interference indoors. Is it doing the same outside in open areas with no interference? The P3S is not an indoor machine or even outside if you’re near other Wi-Fi sources.
Is the video from your SD card?

Last edited:
everywhere
I haven’t had my P3S for long, I’ve been flying P4,s. My only issue has been interference on my device, iPad, but not with my recorded SD video. They look great. But since it’s so susceptible to Wi-Fi interference, I only fly it in wide open spaces now. Good luck. Someone will be along to give you the right answer.

thanks for the reply anyhow, signal interference seems to repeat every 10 sec or so, fpv is worse than sd card files so you can imagine my frustration, when iswitch to foto mode everything seems fine, fotos are all good quality and nice crisp fpv, tried it up to 150m high and 450m away no problem.

quick update, went into the countryside, same story, flew 1000m no problem, yet every 9.5 seconds the feed goes haywire for 3.2 seconds. Very specific and very constant. Also extremely vexing.

The P3S will work even in heavy WiFi areas, but what usually happens is jaggy or broken up video feedback to screen ... and / or reduced range before RTH kicks in.

Looking at your video - I would think you may have a cable problem ...

Check the ribbon cable that follows the camera gimbal legs to the camera itself. Be careful - but make sure both ends are plugged in securely ... and no signs of damage to the ribbon.

Just a thought - on the tablet / phone - whatever you use - there is a low resolution copy of the video recorded .... check that to see if its whole or broken up as your SD card video. If that is similar and broken up - then it points to a fundamental fault .... if its a good continuous video then it points to the recording part of the camera unit ...

Question : Have you had this P3S for some time ? Has it previously been recording OK ? Has it taken any knock or bad landing etc. recently ? Did you buy it 2nd hand and this is as received from seller ? Has the P3S been modified with antenna upgrade or other ?

I strongly suggest NOT to try downgrading FW .... its not for the novice to do this and often leads to more trouble than its worth - in fact often 'bricking' the RC or AC .....

I suggest do not play with FW ... maybe another has suggestion to fix. But my general advice - given the complexity of these models - let DJI or approved service fix it ... then you have a warrant'd repair and know model is good to go.

Reactions: RodPad
Thanks for the quick and extensive reply
second hand
ribbon looks ok but i havent disassembled it
footage is bad cache and sd
second hand, been doing this since purchase
antenna upgrade was installed
one antenna cable had become unsoldered, i resoldered it
itelite dbs

Maybe ill disassemble for ribbon cable tonight or hopefully the previous owner will take it back

Keep u posted

I know some will disagree with me, but I think these machines are not really for DIY .....

Buying 2nd hand is not a bad way to get a unit - but you need to make sure it works. Of course there is always the DJI Refurb route as well ... may be a bit more money - BUT you get a warranty unit from DJI ...

If the issue happens at the exact time intervals, and is visible on SD-card (which is close to sensor and doesn't need ribbon), I doubt that.

Since in Ph3 Std both sensor and Ambarella is contained in the moving part of the camera, the issue is definitely there. Easiest fix would be to just replace that whole part.

For specifics - it is hard to tell. Maybe quartz doesn't keep the frequency and that makes the sensor generate signal which is not readable for Ambarella. Maybe one of the connections to Ambarella is weak and too high resistance. Maybe SD-card has an issue, forcing Ambarella to repeat writes, and then Ambarella gets overloaded and cannot keep up with reading the sensor in real time.

I know some will disagree with me

You are probably right here.

but I think these machines are not really for DIY .....

But I'm not sure how exactly do you understand that. Most corporations want you to think their products are somehow so advanced that noone can open it without causing disaster. But all corporations consist of people, and these people were somehow able to make the product.

In case of Chinese drones, automation is actually limited and many tasks are made manually. Real Chinese people are making these drones with their hands.

Make sure your narration isn't hurting the consumer market, or the environment.

The fight for Right To Repair will take years, and corporations will try to convince general public that devices can't be repaired. They will continue introducing solutions which make unauthorized service harder. Even in Ph3 Gimbal, there is an encryption chip - which is normally unused, but makes sure that all chips within the gimbal share the same key, and otherwise puts them into "authority level 0". On newer drones, there are multiple layers of even stricter protection. Not user protection, just a protection of the corporate interests.

This is not benefiting the users.

Last edited:
Reactions: RodPad
so replace the camera or replace a part of the gimbal, one of the boards there?

@akapuch,
Welcome to the Forum!

@quaddamage, @solentlife,
Wow, Good Stuff!!!
thumb-up-terminator pablo M R.jpg

Rod

Solentlife Stated "I think these machines are not really for DIY ..... "
I agree with the statement, because these parts are so small and fragile! ;) :) :rolleyes:

Rod

Quad ... think you misunderstood me ...

When I say DIY ... how often do we read sad stories of people replacing parts and STILL not fixed.

I know 'Right to Repair' is the current phase we are going through ... I don't disagree, I've said for years that all sorts of gear today is built such that if it fails - it often leads to just buy another. Unable to access or change simple parts.

DJI gear is integrated components that replace one part ... another comes up needing replacement ... Of course if you have the knowledge - then fine - DIY. But I don't believe most owners are in that league. I can build a Quad / FPV / all sorts of gear ... but I don't mess about with my P3 ...

As to disagree with me - that's life ...

Sounds like returning it is your best option. Other than that, looks like you have some work ahead of you. Good luck

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94