Phantom 3 Standard?

Reaction score
My first post, been here over a year, so go east on me. My wife got me a P3S for Christmas, and my main concern is that I live in the country and have a lot of rolling hills, tall trees along with open pastures. The range on the P3S is only .5 miles. I have flown my brothers P4 in the same area and have not had any signal issues. I have not taken the P3 out of the box yet, on concerns of range, and possibly returning for an upgrade. My question is how limited would my distance be especially with the rolling hills and trees?
Was purchased at Dronesuperstore (Ebay) for $380.
Thanks
VaGlock

My question is how limited would my distance be especially with the rolling hills and trees?
All Phantoms are affected by rolling hills and trees. You should always make sure there are no obstacles between the remote controller and Phantom when flying.

Don’t let things block your line of sight and you will get better range. Doing that, there will be no loss of range because of hills. Understand and don’t get disappointed that your p3 will not go as far as your brother’s p4. Read and you can find ways to make it go farther. Enjoy!

Thanks, just not sure If I will be happy with the 3 after flying the 4, seriously thinking of sending it back and upgrading to a 4. These are refurbished units from a authorized DJI dealer so its $400 more for the upgrade. I have read many threads on this site over the last year about those who were happy they went up to the 4. Also have seen a lot of threads on lack of range of the 3 and the trouble they go through to get that little extra bit of distance.
Thanks again.

I know I really enjoyed flying brothers P4, video and picture were amazing. He also never had concerns about signal loss in the area. We were probably from memory out about a half mile.
Working with seller of P3 on return and upgrade. Hoping it goes smoothly.

There really is no comparison between the P3S and a P4, except maybe on price but, if you're flying out in the country, you might be surprised by the range of the P3S. I do most of my flying out in the country over terrain similar to what you described. I can routinely get 6000 - 7000+ feet with a stock setup. Video feed isn't always flawless at that distance but, it's solid enough for flying. It all comes down to the purpose of your investment and what you hope to get out of it. Good luck with whichever option you choose.

Thanks, I decided to get the P4, sent the P3 back (paid a $75 restocking fee) and ordered the P4. Estimated delivery of Jan 8. Gives me time to do a lot of reading up, this site is full of information for us beginners.

I think you made right choice. If you wee already concerned and in your head, you would have been unhappy or eventually made the move anywhere.
I 1st had a P3s. But i then started all the mods to make it go further. As much as i just like to mod things and make better, it is a huge piece of mind and besides just flying further. It’s nice to be confident that your not gong to disconnect etc... Don’t get me wrong, the P3s is a great bird and debating selling it. Never gave me issues ( that weren’t from my doing) always returned home and did everything i ever asked.
My wife just bought me the Mavic and is amazing.
Enjoy your decision!
Mike

There really is no comparison between the P3S and a P4, except maybe on price but, if you're flying out in the country, you might be surprised by the range of the P3S. I do most of my flying out in the country over terrain similar to what you described. I can routinely get 6000 - 7000+ feet with a stock setup. Video feed isn't always flawless at that distance but, it's solid enough for flying. It all comes down to the purpose of your investment and what you hope to get out of it. Good luck with whichever option you choose.

Are you getting 6000-7000ft on P3S? My best distance flying P3S with parabolic reflector and has been 3800ft. In what conditions are you achieving 6000-7000ft on P3S? Am I doing something wrong? I would like to learn how you are achieving this distance with P3S?

Are you getting 6000-7000ft on P3S? My best distance flying P3S with parabolic reflector and has been 3800ft. In what conditions are you achieving 6000-7000ft on P3S? Am I doing something wrong? I would like to learn how you are achieving this distance with P3S

Yes, I get that type of range on a completely stock PS3, no mods, no boosters, no windsurfers. I can get that type of range out in the country over flat, relatively open, farm fields. My best personal distance was 9200'+ over a lake up on the mountains. Again, a flat, relatively open, sparsely populated area with the same P3S unmodded setup. Back in the suburbs around my home, I get 3500 - 5000 feet.

That is very impressive distance. I suppose it was a bit ignorant of me to over analyze my new top distance of 4100ft considering it was achieved in an area densely populated electrical noise. I appreciate your feedback. As an electrical engineering student who is relatively new to drones, I am very excited to learn about them and experiment. Tomorrow I will be installing the Blue proton range extender by argtek. Looking forward to experimenting with combination of the (2) 2.4ghz omnidirectional 10db wifi and the 5.8ghz 10db transmitter control system omnidirectional antennas. After conclusion with the omnidirectional array I plan to try the included (2) 2.4ghz 7db flat panel wifi and the 5.8ghz 6db controls flat panel combination. I will admit I'm already considering buying 2 additional 2.4ghz 10db flat panels and a 10db 5.8ghz flat panel to use with the kit. I wish the kit were compromised if only 10db components. Although maybe there is some reason for the lower resonant power level of the included flat panels. Either way I'm looking forward to the package being on my doorstep when I get home from work tomorrow. It will give me an hour break from my recently pregnant wife of nothing else. I'll share the results with you as they become available. Thanks for you input. I really appreciate it.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94