Phantom 3 Standard turned itself off and fell about 35 feet.

Reaction score
Sorry haven’t been in the group lately. Anyway all was going well, took some pics, did several takeoffs and landings. My battery was at about 30% and I was getting the warning. I had the drone directly in front of me at about 35 feet. It just stopped in midair and fell straight down onto the pavement ( wish it would have been grass) bending and cracking the landing gear and the camera got busted up good. No idea what happened but I’m looking for replacement parts now. I’ve found everything at a good price except the camera.

yes because my battery is bloated @20% battery the drone turns off in mid air

Sorry haven’t been in the group lately. Anyway all was going well, took some pics, did several takeoffs and landings. My battery was at about 30% and I was getting the warning. I had the drone directly in front of me at about 35 feet. It just stopped in midair and fell straight down onto the pavement ( wish it would have been grass) bending and cracking the landing gear and the camera got busted up good. No idea what happened but I’m looking for replacement parts now. I’ve found everything at a good price except the camera.
Your flight data might help find the cause of the incident.
Go to DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help
Follow the instructions there to upload your flight record from your phone or tablet.
That will give you a detailed report of the flight.
Come back and post a link to the report it gives you.
Or .. just post the txt file here.

I had the exact same thing happen to my first Phantom 3 Standard right at the end of a 6-mile Litchi auto-flight mission. Right after the drone hit the brakes on arrival at the launch site, I switched into GPS mode from F-mode that is used during Litchi missions, and at that very instant the drone went electrically dead, plummeting 140 feet onto the deck and utterly demolishing the camera, while leaving the drone with little visible damage beyond a slightly displaced upper shell.

Never tried to launch the drone after that, and the battery was buried with full military honors right away just in case it was the culprit. The battery level was about 20% at the time of that power blackout, but it was not bloated prior to that crash. Very odd that was. I went ahead and bought a replacement Phantom 3 Standard that has thus far flown and filmed perfectly with no hint of trouble.

Reactions: Phtm3
I had the exact same thing happen to my first Phantom 3 Standard right at the end of a 6-mile Litchi auto-flight mission. Right after the drone hit the brakes on arrival at the launch site, I switched into GPS mode from F-mode that is used during Litchi missions, and at that very instant the drone went electrically dead, plummeting 140 feet onto the deck and utterly demolishing the camera, while leaving the drone with little visible damage beyond a slightly displaced upper shell.

Never tried to launch the drone after that, and the battery was buried with full military honors right away just in case it was the culprit. The battery level was about 20% at the time of that power blackout, but it was not bloated prior to that crash. Very odd that was. I went ahead and bought a replacement Phantom 3 Standard that has thus far flown and filmed perfectly with no hint of trouble.
Very similar to what happened to me. I’m going to try and download that flight data and see if I can get any more info on it. My batteries Are not that old but again I don’t know the shelflife of the batteries. I’m looking for a camera right now and I’ll get it back in the air

Your flight data might help find the cause of the incident.
Go to DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help
Follow the instructions there to upload your flight record from your phone or tablet.
That will give you a detailed report of the flight.
Come back and post a link to the report it gives you.
Or .. just post the txt file here.
I’m not able to see the flight data. I used the DJI GO app. on iPhone 8 and tried to connect that to a Dell laptop but can not see where any of the data is.

Sounds like a battery issue to me. When I get low battery warnings, I land immediately! But that's just me cause I like to be able to fly the drone again in a few days. Battery warnings happen for a reason.

Sounds like a battery issue to me. When I get low battery warnings, I land immediately! But that's just me cause I like to be able to fly the drone again in a few days. Battery warnings happen for a reason.
That’s exactly right.There are settings that you can have your warnings come on sooner or later. I set mine at 30% in the event that I am flying far away from the landing site. I was at the landing site when it happened. I’m still attempting to retrieve the data so I can figure out what happened. But thanks for your input

Reactions: Bone4Drone
Ok i retrieved my flight data. I see there was cell deviation .649 , cell 2 is in red at 2.93. Cell 1 3.57, cell 3 3.58, cell4 3.55. Battery was at 25%.
Can anyone try and help me figure out why this crash occurred?
39.7 foot fall OUCH!

Last edited:
Won’t fly so high next time, less damage that way.

Last edited:
Trying to share the flight log here. not sure how to do it.

file:///C:/Users/Brian-Old-/Desktop/FlightRecords/DJIFlightRecord_2021-11-08_%5B08-29-03%5D.txt
The instructions should tell you how to upload the log for analysis.

At 1156.3 seconds the voltage in cell 2 fell below the critical low voltage level of 3.2 volts.
You continued flying and when the data stops, the voltage is down to 2.9 volts.

A bad battery cell was the cause of the incident.
Cell 2 was bad from the start of the flight data, showing a significantly lower cell voltage than the other cells.

You can see the cell voltages easily here:

At 1156.3 seconds the voltage in cell 2 fell below the critical low voltage level of 3.2 volts.
You continued flying and when the data stops, the voltage is down to 2.9 volts.

A bad battery cell was the cause of the incident.
Cell 2 was bad from the start of the flight data, showing a significantly lower cell voltage than the other cells.

You can see the cell voltages easily here:
Ok. Is individual cell voltage being observed when flying? I only recall battery voltage. Wouldn’t I have to specifically select the screen to see individual cells?

Ok. Is individual cell voltage being observed when flying? I only recall battery voltage. Wouldn’t I have to specifically select the screen to see individual cells?
You can configure to have the average voltage display, but you would have to go to settings and click the battery icon to see the individual cell details

You can configure to have the average voltage display, but you would have to go to settings and click the battery icon to see the individual cell details
So normally if you are flying, are you watching to see if a cell is dropping in voltage? How would someone know if their drone is about to fall out of the sky? My total battery voltage was still good. Just curious…

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31