Phantom 3 Standard range mod , let's do it together...

Well I took my drone to a guy that does electronic recalibration and repairs he could not get the Sauter to stick the wire to that small chip he was also saying if he knew he could bypass that chip like in the picture somewhere down the line on another component he would but for some reason he cannot get the Sauter to take on that small chip

He was also saying or asking maybe if we remove that Chip he could do it but he said he didn't know what would happen if we totally removed the chip and then crossed those two points

The guy said he might be able to do it if we remove the chip I just wish I could do it myself

I'm going to remove the chip and try to do it I think if I am very careful with a magnifying glass I can at least try

you should just be able to solder a jumper across those pins without removing the chip shouldn't be that hard if you have decent soldering gear.

Thanks I'm going to take it to a man who has the setup and fixes all kinds of micro electronics so hopefully he can do this I had to put a small wire on my meter to test chip it's not easy without a magnifying glass
1044f936b52e19d2e00f18b76204febc.jpg

Hey Supra01, I'm interested if this mod worked for you. Thanks.

Well here is the thing this chip is super small I mean super small I brought it to a guy who is a professional and when I say professional I don't mean just anybody he knows what he's doing he tried to solder it but it's so small he couldn't get it to stick he was also saying that maybe he could remove the chip and do it that way but I don't know this is a picture of the chip to my fingernail it's so small I don't know how to do it but I believe this is what is wrong it makes sense to me and I have tested the antenna signal and it runs thru the chip ! I just know I am just ready to give up with mine that's for sure !!
dc2728a7bd8ccfe77a6334e48b971a85.jpg

I think I'm fixing to get really brave I'm going to get me one of those little magnifying set up's in trying to solder it I don't know if you can remove it and solder across it like in the pic by what the man that knows what he's doing told me and showed me if you can remove the chip without hurting anything then do the Solder across the 2 points I think it might work

Reactions: epicdoom
A long time ago, I was a certified surface mount/board level technician. I'm not sure if I want to remove the chip entirely since there might be other functions that uses it that might get compromised. He did mention about firmware updates (that burned parts of the circuit in there) so I would assume that firmware update process uses that chip. Just saying we might run into firmware updates moving forward.

you should just be able to solder a jumper across those pins without removing the chip shouldn't be that hard if you have decent soldering gear.

Sorry I just seen this today ! Yea that's what I thought too I'm going to try it myself I figure It can't hurt too bad since it's already messed up

before you attempt it read all of this If you lived near me I'd do it for you, this is the best I can do to help you

get a good magnifying device. I solder tiny stuff like this at work and at home using a high end soldering station with reflow station my tips are tiny needle like tips. its an expensive set up and most folks wont have this gear. I use a head set magnifier looking through a desk top magnifier both are ten power each. I can see the grain in the metal components its that powerful. if your hand isn't steady enough build something to rest your hands on to do the job. Prep you will need to pre-tin a tiny wire or component leg such as a through hold resistor leg or lead to use as a jumper, tin each end set everything up for the task, place one end of the tinned jumper on the leg of the chip touch the hot soldering iron to it for a second and pull the iron away lightly tug on the tiny wire if it didn't stick do it again for two seconds repeat for the other leg to complete the jump.

If your soldering iron isn't tiny enough in the tip grab a length of multi stranded wire and strip one of the strands from it wrap it around your soldering irons tip tightly and use the end of the strand to solder with as your tip. sometimes a paperclip will work for this also. make sure you get the iron hot enough that it melts solder as soon as solder touches it this is key to getting it done fast so you don't put to much heat into the chip and fry it. the jumper can be made from a strand of wire or the leg of a through hole resistor or diode if you have some laying around. Before you start use your magnification and a #11 exacto blade to scrape the legs you want to solder to, your trying to insure you remover any coating that may have been put on the board after production, it will look like a clear varnish and shiny, covering all the components. not all places use this to seal boards, but make sure just in case by scrapping the legs with the tip of the exacto blade.

A long time ago, I was a certified surface mount/board level technician. I'm not sure if I want to remove the chip entirely since there might be other functions that uses it that might get compromised. He did mention about firmware updates (that burned parts of the circuit in there) so I would assume that firmware update process uses that chip. Just saying we might run into firmware updates moving forward.

That's a good question I want to know about that also he seems like he knows something or a lot about this I'm going to do it because if I don't it's going to keep doing what it's doing I'm going to take a risk it might also be necessary that we put it at the right firmware that we want but I'm going to try it either way I figure I've got nothing to lose I figure when I'm done I'll either fix it or have a giant paperweight LOL

Just wanted to say that I'm using a cell phone to write all this some of my replies are under some of the wrong post lol

Wish we had the technical specs/schematics for this chip (or the whole circuit board for that matter) to find a better replacement or something. If I remembered correctly, soldering mods like this was a big no no at work since it certainly will compromise the integrity of the circuit board.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31