Phantom 3 Standard problems

Reaction score
Hi everyone! New member here, I've had my standard for 1 year so far, I am happy with this drone but have some minor issues. 2 questions, is there a add on sensor or something to upgrade the gps to make RTH more accurate and is there something like the bottom sensors on Phantom 3 pro you can get for my standard. Thanks, hoping for replies :)

Last edited:
Hi everyone! New member here, I've had my standard for 1 year so far, I am happy with this drone but have some minor issues. 2 questions, is there a add on sensor or something to upgrade the gps to make RTH more accurate and is there something like the bottom sensors on Phantom 3 pro you can get for my standard. Thanks, hoping for replies :)

There are no GPS or bottom sensors upgradable things for the standard. If you want something better considering upgrade to the Advanced or professional version. They are getting cheaper, specially the official refurbished versions.

Hi, when I click the return to home button, it doesn't land exactly where it took off from, it will be 5-7 meters away from the take off point

Hi, when I click the return to home button, it doesn't land exactly where it took off from, it will be 5-7 meters away from the take off point
Take over control from RTH and land manually, you can get it to land wherever you want then. The standard does not have GLONAS support so will not perform with the same precision. The error you are quoting is within the realm of consumer grade GPS accuracy.

Reactions: Pharm
Take over control from RTH and land manually, you can get it to land wherever you want then. The standard does not have GLONAS support so will not perform with the same precision. The error you are quoting is within the realm of consumer grade GPS accuracy.
I agreed with you, I never take off or land using the automated option. I always do both manually and it is more smoothly.

I get the feeling that you are trying to use RTH as the thought of Auto Landing on your take off point like your front porch or Picnic table. :)

If so, RTH is/was designed to be a fail safe if you loose sight, or connection with your Phantom, it will Return to Home the shortest route.

If I'm wrong please update me / us with more questions.

If I'm correct, please check out this thread, update me / us with more questions. :)

Best Method to RTH?

Rod

Agree with above, it's just to get it home. Pin point accuracy I wouldn't be concerned about.

Even with Glonass support you will never get pinpoint RTH landing, if you do it's only by chance. Glonass only gives access to more satellites, it does not necessarily increase accuracy (but it may increase signal reliability in the case that any of the DOD satellites should be unusable). Most cell phones have Glonass support - you can still only count on 15 foot accuracy on average. For anything more you would need survey-grade GPS receivers using a static base station and RTK. Sub-meter accuracy will never be achieved with the GPS in the Phantom series, and I would never prefer an auto-landing to one that I could control myself.

Even with Glonass support you will never get pinpoint RTH landing, if you do it's only by chance. Glonass only gives access to more satellites, it does not necessarily increase accuracy (but it may increase signal reliability in the case that any of the DOD satellites should be unusable). Most cell phones have Glonass support - you can still only count on 15 foot accuracy on average. For anything more you would need survey-grade GPS receivers using a static base station and RTK. Sub-meter accuracy will never be achieved with the GPS in the Phantom series, and I would never prefer an auto-landing to one that I could control myself.
I certainly didn't suggest GLONAS support will provide pin point accuracy, in fact my recomendation was that where a precision landing is important you should be manually flying the AC rather than relying on RTH (the obvious exception is the P4P which relies on images acquired of the launch point to land). In many cases GLONAS will provide higher accuracy, this is most evident in areas where natural and ir man made structures limit satellite visibility.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj