Phantom 3 standard over water?

I have a phantom 3 standred and would like to fly over a few lakes but would like some feed back from other with experience. Any tip?? Or advice?
First and foremost, do not attempt to land in the water. Other than that, you should be good to go.

Personally, water scares me and as such, I avoid, oceans, lakes, streams, even bathtubs. In the event of a malfunction, I want the wreckage to send in to DJI. I would have a difficult, if not impossible task convincing DJI it was a mechanical failure if I can't produce the AC for them to examine. Water losses are not covered under DJI Care.

Now since the P3S does not use the vision positioning the P3 Advanced and Pros use, you won't need to worry about the water messing with the sensors. I would keep a reasonable altitude and not venture out so far as to not be able to make it back. Flying over water should give you decent range so I wouldn't worry too much about losing signal. Nevertheless, check your RTH setting just be certain it's set to return to home and not hover or land.

Biggest thing is making sure that your props are tight, don't do stupid things like high-speed, low-altitude water passes, and return with a safe amount of battery left.

Reactions: JSKCKNIT
I have a phantom 3 standred and would like to fly over a few lakes but would like some feed back from other with experience. Any tip?? Or advice?

I've flown my P3S over large bodies of freshwater several times without any major issues. It can be very unnerving at first but, if you take some precautions, you should be fine. Most of these are just common sense for any flight. Pre-flight MUST be done and any warnings must be resolved before flying off. Do not launch from concrete docks or any type of dock that could contain metal reinforcement. Your compass should already have been calibrated in a neutral area before leaving your home. Any new compass errors should be resolved by moving to a neutral area rather than recalibrate the compass at the spot with errors. Make sure the home point is set before flying. Fly only with a fully charged battery that you're confident of. Make sure the battery is securely locked in place. Make sure your RTH settings are set correctly. Get some practice flying in ATTI mode before you fly over water, just in case. I highly recommend flying VLOS at all times. Maintain enough altitude and avoid flying close to the water surface. Know your battery status and don't attempt to fly beyond remaining battery power. If something does go wrong, stay calm, don't panic, make sure RTH engages, and trust your bird to return home safely. If you have to crash, crash on land - you have a better chance of recovery. Water is not your friend. Make sure your contact information (phone# and FAA registration#) is visible on your Phantom. Other pilots can likely add to this list. Flying over water can be a real adrenaline rush. Good luck.

Your Phantom will fly over water just as it does over solid ground.
It won't know what's under it and there's nothing about flying over water that's any different to flying anywhere else.
My Phantom spends most of it's flying time over deep water and does a great job out there.

Your compass should already have been calibrated in a neutral area before leaving your home. Any new compass errors should be resolved by moving to a neutral area rather than recalibrate the compass at the spot with errors.
There should never be any need to calibrate the Phantom's compass before a flight.
If your Phantom is flying straight and hovers without slowly spiralling around, leave the compass alone.

Water is great because there’s a lot less to run into ....

Check return to home is set
If it’s windy fly into and return with the wind
Watch for birds on the water as they will fly up into you
Fly with enough height to feel comfortable
when time is up to return home RTH

There should never be any need to calibrate the Phantom's compass before a flight.
If your Phantom is flying straight and hovers without slowly spiralling around, leave the compass alone.

My point was, the compass should have been calibrated inititally in a spot known to be clear from interference, not to recalibrate it before each flight. My apologies if that wasn't clear.

first learn how to fly the drone and be comfortable with low altitude passes. practice over grass incase you crash. start at about 20 feet with no obstacles, practice turning and coming back to home, youll need to learn how to fly the drone without looking at the camera (preferably) because the standard has no sensors. when i fly on the beaches out here in FL, were always looking at huge wind gusts sometimes 15 to 20mph, alot of people wouldnt fly in those conditions but this drone can handle a lot. you also will need to compensate for the wind at times (even with gps enabled) because the standard will drop altitude on its own if its windy enough. so you increase vertical speed slightly and horizontal on full, youll see she will hold steady and firm. but dont attempt low passes at first, fly high and practice, practice, practice...also be prepared for a crash sooner or later, its inevitable. happens to the best of us.

Reactions: Neon Euc
That's a very confusing post
first learn how to fly the drone and be comfortable with low altitude passes.
I'm not sure what low altitude passes has to do with flying above water ???
youll need to learn how to fly the drone without looking at the camera (preferably) because the standard has no sensors.
Perhaps you meant it has no obstacle avoidance sensors - the Standard has plenty of other sensors.
Over water is a great place to fly because there's nothing to hit so obstacle avoidance is no use there anyway.
The screen has so much important information, I wouldn't recommend not looking at the screen
you also will need to compensate for the wind at times (even with gps enabled) because the standard will drop altitude on its own if its windy enough.
I've not seen any Phantom lose altitude because of wind or any real need to compensate for anything.
also be prepared for a crash sooner or later, its inevitable. happens to the best of us.
Crashing is not inevitable but over water is probably the safest place to fly.
Most crashes are due to flying too close to obstacles like houses and trees.
Over water completely avoids those hazards.

1. Your 1st time out will be nerve-racking
  2. Altitude is your friend
  3. Take off and hover over land for about 20 seconds or so to verify your Phantom is stable
  4. Pay attention to the winds over the water and at your desired altitude
  5. If you fly out with the wind at your back, make sure you have enough battery to return with the head wind.
  6. Enjoy!!

I’ve used mine over water a number of times including doing video’s of my grandkids waterskiing. The Standard does a great job and I’m flying it from the shore so VLOS, but also using my iPad to keep the shot in the camera’s field of view. Very happy with the results.

I fly mine over the river here, and no issues. At least water is level, the land can go up and down in elevation quite a bit and if you're not careful - you have problems hitting a hill or a tree if you're not experienced.

As others have said, begin your trip INTO the wind, so when you return, the wind helps you out and saves your battery power. I've heard too many horror stories of "auto-lands" in the water due to people flying with the wind at first, then the wind drains their battery too soon on the way back and the drone goes into "submarine mode."

Reactions: Neon Euc
First and foremost, do not attempt to land in the water. Other than that, you should be good to go.

Personally, water scares me and as such, I avoid, oceans, lakes, streams, even bathtubs. In the event of a malfunction, I want the wreckage to send in to DJI. I would have a difficult, if not impossible task convincing DJI it was a mechanical failure if I can't produce the AC for them to examine. Water losses are not covered under DJI Care.

Now since the P3S does not use the vision positioning the P3 Advanced and Pros use, you won't need to worry about the water messing with the sensors. I would keep a reasonable altitude and not venture out so far as to not be able to make it back. Flying over water should give you decent range so I wouldn't worry too much about losing signal. Nevertheless, check your RTH setting just be certain it's set to return to home and not hover or land.
You mean it wont float. Lol.
I fly over water all the time, I live next to a small lake and a great river runs t
ok thanks

I fly mine over the river here, and no issues. At least water is level, the land can go up and down in elevation quite a bit and if you're not careful - you have problems hitting a hill or a tree if you're not experienced.

As others have said, begin your trip INTO the wind, so when you return, the wind helps you out and saves your battery power. I've heard too many horror stories of "auto-lands" in the water due to people flying with the wind at first, then the wind drains their battery too soon on the way back and the drone goes into "submarine mode."
My scary moment was at my sisters home and I launched the drone within 10 feet of her pool and it ended up on RTH and it was going to land in the pool. I had to jump into the pool and hand catch the drone.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT