Phantom 3 Standard home point

Reaction score
I have been flying for several years. one thing I need clarified is the home point. I move around town to several locations which are 2 to 4 miles from where I first calibrated the compass and flew.

When I move to other locations will the home point move with me or will the home point stay where I first flew from. If it does move with me, how far would the distance have to move before the home point would move?

Thanks, Joe

When I move to other locations will the home point stay where I first flew from. If it does move with me, how far would the distance have to move before the home point would move?
The home point will automatically be reset when you start the motors as long as your Phantom has a good GPS connection. Look for the "H" symbol on the map in DJI GO to ensure the home point has been set and that it's in the correct location.

When I move to other locations will the home point move with me or will the home point stay where I first flew from. If it does move with me, how far would the distance have to move before the home point would move?e
Your Phantom doesn't save the home point after you switch it off.
It records a new home point every time you power it up.
It doesn't matter how far you move whether it's 3 inches away or 3000 miles.

Calibrating the compass is unrelated to acquiring the home point and is not at all necessary wherever you fly.

The reason I was asking is because once I moved about 100 feet from where I usually fly from a one location and I used return to home and it landed at the previous location, 100 feet from where I took off. perhaps that was a glitch.

Joe

The reason I was asking is because once I moved about 100 feet from where I usually fly from a one location and I used return to home and it landed at the previous location, 100 feet from where I took off. perhaps that was a glitch.

Joe
This could happen if you did not turn off your P3 and then just walked 100 feet away. As noted, the HP is automatically set at start up so if you left it on and walked away the HP would remain set for the original start up spot.

One thing to consider for next time you move from the startup location is that you can manually reset the HP to the P3's new location or reset the home point to your RC's new location if you are using a GPS enabled mobile device.

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
According to the manual "The aircraft will automatically descend and land if Failsafe RTH is triggered when the aircraft is within a 20 meter (65 feet) radius of the Home Point."

Could this have been the cause?

According to the manual "The aircraft will automatically descend and land if Failsafe RTH is triggered when the aircraft is within a 20 meter (65 feet) radius of the Home Point."
Failsafe RTH is only triggered if the remote controller signal is lost for 3+ seconds.

RTH is very reliable and won't perform the way your description reads.
The Phantom gets it's home point where it is powered on (as long as its skyview is not blocked).
Can you give more detail?
Did you power on at your new location or did you walk there with the Phantom which you had powered on at your old location?

If you powered it on at the new location ...
Go to DJI Flight Log Viewer - Phantom Help
Follow the instructions there to upload your flight record from your phone or tablet.
Come back and post a link to the report it gives you and someone might be able to analyse it and give you an understanding of the cause of the incident.

Your Phantom doesn't save the home point after you switch it off.
It records a new home point every time you power it up.
It doesn't matter how far you move whether it's 3 inches away or 3000 miles.

Calibrating the compass is unrelated to acquiring the home point and is not at all necessary wherever you fly.
My P3A literally tells me a new home point has been set... verbally. Does the 3 standard not do this?

DJI Go 3 does it too. But if you move your location during flight and wish the Phantom lands after RTH near you,then you need to update the last home point to your current position,else the Phantom will land on the recorded home point,where the aircraft took off.

My P3S is doing this now , two flights last weekend , two flights this weekend , two batteries used each time , everything powered off and restarted and moved only a few feet to less than 100 meters in distance , home point is not vocalized or shown on map for the second flight , this is on Android latest version of app which of course has the crappy Mapbox map .

home point is not vocalized or shown on map for the second flight

Not hearing the message or not seeing a map doesn't mean that the homepoint hasn't been recorded.
Every time you power on the Phantom, as soon as it gets a GPS location fix, it will record a new home point.
This post tells how you can confirm this: Map

Checking flight logs , it shows the homepoint for both flights but playing the flight logs only the first flight states homepoint recorded , playing the second flight , first thing stated is new RTH height set , it's a oversight / glitch in the app .

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.