Phantom 3 Standard falls out of sky and almost injures people

I always make sure to screw my props on extra tight so its a mystery to me.
I think that was your problem, the composite material of the prop hub is very soft, if you put on a props extra tight, you might accidentally cross thread it. I always spin the props on and just tighten it with fingers.

It's also a good idea to have liability insurance. Had you injured someone, you could be liable for some serious money. There was a case in the UK where an out-of-control drone sliced through a baby's eye. It can happen!

Did you inspect your Phantom before taking off to check for any cracks in the shell? It appears it might have been cracked beneath at least one of the motors.

BTW, I realize hindsight is 20/20, but you could have easily avoided this situation by not flying over people.

I'm sorry to read on what happened with your phantom 3.
I was having a hard time choosing between the Phantom 4 and the Typhoon H and the person who recommended the Typhoon H to me had stated they had their Phantom 4 fall out of the sky randomly in San Francisco, Ca. There was no indication it was having issues, other than high winds before it suddenly fell and hit the ground hard.

Plus if it was an engine issue, the other 3 engines wouldn't be able to compensate for that engine fail.

I'm sorry for that happening to you and I would complain to DJI about it! I would also make them compensate me for the drone and leave DJI and move towards a drone that has multiple engines like a Typhoon H.

Speaking from experience with the Typhoon H, one of my blades detatched in the air as I may have not tightened it and the Typhoon kept flying with the other remaining 5 engines going with no problems in 15 mile an hour winds!

Glad no one got hurt and good luck with DJI!

Hi all. I'm still in a state of shock today as I write this. My Phantom 3 standard fell out of the sky as I was coming in to land and very nearly hit some people.

I was flying in Cheoc Van beach in Macau and was coming in to land. According to flight data, the drone was 90 metres up when it suddenly started falling. It landed in a restaurant next to the beach. Luckily a table umbrella slowed it down, but it still managed to smash the glass table and all the plates and glasses on it, as well as ruining the meal of a group of Australians.

I immediately ran into the restaurant was in a state of shock and was praying that I hadn't injured or killed anyone. Luckily no one was hurt. And luckily the restaurant manager did not call the police and was surprisingly reasonable and just asked me to pay the damages.

The group of Australians, who's meal I ruined, were not injured and were extremely understanding, surprisingly. Nonetheless, I paid for their meal and bought them a round of drinks and apologized profusely.

So what should I do as next steps guys? Below here are the photos of my drone (I removed all the propellors except for the one where it seems to have been the problem) and uploaded the flight data video. At the moment, I really don't know what caused the drone to fall out of the sky, but I can say that I saw the propellers were still spinning as it crashed down.

I'm based in Hong Kong and there is a DJI store there. Should I go straight to them or raise it to customer service on their website? If it is found to be DJI's fault, do I have grounds to ask for compensation? I could have severely injured or killed someone, and I had to pay damages to all those involved, and it also put me into a state of shock.

Thanks
I had the same ..Due to coming down in same spot too fast.. Makes a Vortex and you lose all lift..Throttling up don't help once in the vortex.. Best way I found to avoid them is to come down moving, just not on the same spot.. I did have CF props on too. Not sure if the stiffness of them had anything to do with it.. :)

Very nice job of taking responsibility and paying for the Aussies meals & the any damage created. Sorry your drone went down as it did, but you handled it extremely well and took a potentially bad civilian experience, and made it a good civilian experience. Well done.

The same thing happened to me when I took my drone to the park for a test flight, it crash landed on the football pitch I'm just so glad it didn't hit anyone, it could have been a lot worse.
Propeller came off, by chance?

It's also a good idea to have liability insurance. Had you injured someone, you could be liable for some serious money. .....

Does anyone here have experience with purchasing liability damage insurance for their drone(s)? If so, what company, and what was the cost?

Just as a side note, here in the USA some homeowner's insurance policies provide coverage for incidents, accidents, and injuries that happen to non-members of the policy holder's household when a member of that household causes such an event. One of my then-minor-age-but-fully-licensed children was driving our car when a kid in the back seat threw a water balloon out the window. hitting a car and smashing it's windshield. The driver sued the kid's parents AND us too. Our homeowner's insurance paid out over $50,000 to settle our portion of the lawsuit.

If I recall correctly this incident was discussed in an earlier thread- the AC was recovered with a prop missing.

Not sure if I have read that earlier thread about this particular incident, but the video sure looked a lot like what would happen if a prop came off. Had it happen on a different quad - well actually one motor abruptly failed instead of a prop coming off - and those puppies just don't fly right when that happens.

Not sure if I have read that earlier thread about this particular incident, but the video sure looked a lot like what would happen if a prop came off. Had it happen on a different quad - well actually one motor abruptly failed instead of a prop coming off - and those puppies just don't fly right when that happens.
A quad can fly on three props if the flight controller software allows for it, it must yaw to stay level but can be flown to a safe area and landed.

Not for quadcopters, there are not a single one out there that can fly with three. I would love to see one
Macoman I'm sorry you are wrong, in fact any quad can be made to fly well enough to make a controlled landing with a prop lost. Actually they can fly with only one functioning propellor.

I will search for you if need be, I suspect you will be able to find many videos of the feat I proposed without issue. A Zurich based research team developed an algorithm that will allow any mult rotor to continue flight with a missing propellor/propulsion system failure. It won't be elegantt but will allow the AC to be flown to a safe landing site to be recovered with minimal damage.

Macoman I'm sorry you are wrong, in fact any quad can be made to fly well enough to make a controlled landing with a prop lost. Actually they can fly with only one functioning propellor.

I will search for you if need be, I suspect you will be able to find many videos of the feat I proposed without issue. A Zurich based research team developed an algorithm that will allow any mult rotor to continue flight with a missing propellor/propulsion system failure. It won't be elegantt but will allow the AC to be flown to a safe landing site to be recovered with minimal damage.
Watch till the end...

You got to be kidding me? One rotor? How are you going to counteract the torque generated from this one rotor? Your aircraft is going to spin out of control very fast.
Intuitively it might seem impossible but seemingly it is based in the claims of the algorithm developer. Of course it won't be elegant flight although it is highly preferable to a totally uncontrolled rapid decent. The aircraft is allowed to spin in the direction of the generated touque to maintain a close to horizontal attitude, horizontal displacement being provided for by increasing thrust while the functioning rotor is opposite the direction of desired movement.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl