Phantom 3 STANDARD antenna upgrade

Hello Everyone!

My itelite antenna has just arrived from dbs-mod, I'm looking forward to upgrade my Phantom 3 standard:)
My question: is it recommended to use better quality cables instead of what was in the package from DBS?

I found these:
SMA to uFL/u.FL/IPX/IPEX RF Adapter Cable

Any suggestion for the rp-sma cable?

The fpvlr shipping cost to Europe is 50 $...it is a joke.

Thanks for any help!

Regards:
Robert
The supplied cables are pretty low quality. I would get better ones if your budget allows. Ask @dirkclod where he sourced his from. ;)

Reactions: dirkclod

that is so true, I'm thinking about buying the dbs also for this reason... let us know how do you feel after the installation. I would first try with the stock cables and then if you are not satisfied maybe you can buy some better cables

Hello Everyone!

My itelite antenna has just arrived from dbs-mod, I'm looking forward to upgrade my Phantom 3 standard:)
My question: is it recommended to use better quality cables instead of what was in the package from DBS?

I found these:

Thanks for any help!

Regards:
Robert
Here are the places to buy 8-inch internal and 4-inch external quality cables.
Internal - 2 x 8 Inch Mini PCI IPX U.FL to RP-SMA Antenna WiFi Pigtail RG178 Cable RF USA
External - RG402 Semi flexible cable SMA plug to RP-SMA male 90 degree Right Angle Low Loss

Hello Everyone!

I found these:

Thanks for any help!

Regards:
Robert
If your talking about those Black ones I ditched them after I tried them with these U.FL to RP-SMA FEMALE 8" -20cm for rc control but the one in your link looks the same . I just found in Mine the more insulation the farther I went .

Update:
I swapped the Samsung S5 Active for an Nvidia Shield tablet and it seems to have a more reliable connection. On my last video I flew 4800' and today I got 8100'. I still has 5 bars but it lost connection shortly after the screenshot.

2016-01-17 09.55.44.png

Oops, deleted the post instead of editing it.

Found 1 screenshot pic of the best flight i had on the P3S. Unfortunately at the end of the flight i had great connection but a group of people stopped right in front of me with one of them on their cell phone and i lost signal right when they moved in front of me. Not sure how much further i wouldve got if those people didnt stand in front of my antenna.
View attachment 39759
What antenna do you have?

What antenna do you have?

I used to have the dbsmods antenna, i no longer have the P3S though, returned it and got the P3A when it went on sale.

I used to have the dbsmods antenna, i no longer have the P3S though, returned it and got the P3A when it went on sale.
How'd you return it post-mod?

How'd you return it post-mod?

my buddy with a p3s wanted an upgraded antenna so he bought mine and gave me his so i can return it with an untouched remote. also had the inspire 1 tablet mount on it and i gave him a steep discount on the antenna so it was a good deal for him.

i figured i would eventually want to buy amps and stuff so with the money i wouldve spent upgrading, i just went with the p3a.

Reactions: BigHorny
my buddy with a p3s wanted an upgraded antenna so he bought mine and gave me his so i can return it with an untouched remote. also had the inspire 1 tablet mount on it and i gave him a steep discount on the antenna so it was a good deal for him.

i figured i would eventually want to buy amps and stuff so with the money i wouldve spent upgrading, i just went with the p3a.
It's good to have friends. :)

I went with the DBS ItElite and it seems to work pretty well. The internal cables that came with the antenna were too short to run them to the top of the controller so I had to put the connectors out the bottom. That required longer external cables that had right angle connectors on both ends. I got them on Ebay - they are the blue cables and are much stronger than what comes with the antenna. When I went to unplug the original TX cable inside the controller (after carefully removing the glue) the ring that the connector grabs to hold it in place came right off the board with the cable. I used almost no force to remove it - it literally fell off the board. Not a big deal though, just soldered a small jumper from the ground of the new connector to a ground on the board and stuck the connector on the pin and dropped a few drops of hot glue to hold it in place. Works just fine.

Update:
I swapped the Samsung S5 Active for an Nvidia Shield tablet and it seems to have a more reliable connection. On my last video I flew 4800' and today I got 8100'. I still has 5 bars but it lost connection shortly after the screenshot.

Hm...interesting So you just have a DBS Mods (ITElite panel) and no extra amps with stock bird and almost DOUBLED your range just using a different DEVICE? I too have noticed some interesting differences between my iPhone vs. Nexus 7 tablet-the Nexus seems to cut out earlier and more often. Not sure WHY the device would matter-but it apparently does somehow? Wonder if anyone could shed light on this? Obviously iPhone has Wifi/4G whereas the Nexus has only Wifi-wondering if that affects the signal in any way?

Finally I decided what to do, I'm waiting for 2x6dbi antennas that I will use to improve 2.4 ghz fpv and another one 14dbi panel antenna for the rc. I will mod the connections the same way you do for the dbs, but in the first place I will try with this cheap solution that costs about 35EUR in total. Speaking with another italian guy on a facebook group, he told me that he tried both the dbs and that other solution and they works pretty similar.

So, I will let you know if it is true when the packages arrives

[file]2 x 6dbi 2.4 ghz antennas|none[/file]

[file]5.8 ghz 14dbi panel antenna|none[/file]

I went with the DBS ItElite and it seems to work pretty well. The internal cables that came with the antenna were too short to run them to the top of the controller so I had to put the connectors out the bottom. That required longer external cables that had right angle connectors on both ends. I got them on Ebay - they are the blue cables and are much stronger than what comes with the antenna. When I went to unplug the original TX cable inside the controller (after carefully removing the glue) the ring that the connector grabs to hold it in place came right off the board with the cable. I used almost no force to remove it - it literally fell off the board. Not a big deal though, just soldered a small jumper from the ground of the new connector to a ground on the board and stuck the connector on the pin and dropped a few drops of hot glue to hold it in place. Works just fine.

Could You link please the blue external cable from ebay? Thanks!

I want to run my wires from the board through the antenna hole directly to the panel. I know I need U.FL to the board, and then RP-SMA female on the other end to screw onto the DBS panel? Is this correct? Also, what length would I need to go from the board directly to the panel without much slack in the wires?

Thanks guys!

I want to run my wires from the board through the antenna hole directly to the panel. I know I need U.FL to the board, and then RP-SMA female on the other end to screw onto the DBS panel? Is this correct? Also, what length would I need to go from the board directly to the panel without much slack in the wires?

Thanks guys!
Tony,
I just did the exact same thing and I think you actually need a U.FL to SMA Male connector to go directly to the ITELITE antenna from the board, and they need to be at least 8 inches long. I haven't tested it since I got the new cables, but I believe them to be correct and it attaches fine.

Here's what I used: SMA male plug right angle to IPX U.fl 8" pigtail SOLD IN TEN PACK

Thanks guys!

That was my plan as well, but I just went ahead and ordered the DBS kit for the standard and installed it the way it was designed. There is plenty of length on the cables though if you wanted to avoid drilling the holes and just make the connections inside of the TX. I thought about doing that but now that I have drilled the holes and mounted the kit, I'm happy with it. DBS made a big difference in signal strength so I'm happy with the results as well. If I get some decent weather, I will see just how much of a difference it did make. If I get a mile, I will be happy.

Hm...interesting So you just have a DBS Mods (ITElite panel) and no extra amps with stock bird and almost DOUBLED your range just using a different DEVICE? I too have noticed some interesting differences between my iPhone vs. Nexus 7 tablet-the Nexus seems to cut out earlier and more often. Not sure WHY the device would matter-but it apparently does somehow? Wonder if anyone could shed light on this? Obviously iPhone has Wifi/4G whereas the Nexus has only Wifi-wondering if that affects the signal in any way?

I'm not sure how the device and signal are related but it seems to be. I flew in my neighborhood and flew 2000' away over houses before losing connection. It wasn't even close to that before.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart