Phantom 3 remote charging issue

Reaction score
Hi, recently bought a P3 second hand and have replaced the battery in the remote with no success in charging it. Has anyone tried to remove the existing charging plug and putting in a separate charger for the remote battery rather than trying to fix the generic pcb issue?

Reactions: RodPad
Hi, recently bought a P3 second hand and have replaced the battery in the remote with no success in charging it. Has anyone tried to remove the existing charging plug and putting in a separate charger for the remote battery rather than trying to fix the generic pcb issue?
Hi BRad,
If you have a voltmeter at hand, try seeing if there are any voltage coming though the at battery connections.

Welcome to the Forum!

What model of a P3?

Rod ..

Reactions: Bradsphantom
Thanks, I will get back to your tomorrow if another member doesn't reply.

BTW these forums are !!

Rod ..

Crap, I spaced out today, did you get anywhere?

I guess the "GL300C controller." confused me I was going to look it up

Confused where the USB part came in. P3A's have a charging port on the right side. but I have seen posts where there trying to charge from USB type port that is supposed to go to your mobile device?

Rod ..

Not much progress. I tested the battery port on pcb at 8.43 in 2 pairs of pins. 8.35 with battery plugged in and lights stop blinking.= battery volts. Funny thing I gave up yesterday and left all unplugged and battery today plugged in showed 3.5 lights on controller and 34% on app from 2% yesterday when I gave up. Seems electronic in nature. I’ve found how to roll back firmware updates on the controller so I’ll try that. But I think the easiest option might be an external charging plug direct to battery and skip the DJI pcb

Not much progress. I tested the battery port on pcb at 8.43 in 2 pairs of pins. 8.35 with battery plugged in and lights stop blinking.= battery volts. Funny thing I gave up yesterday and left all unplugged and battery today plugged in showed 3.5 lights on controller and 34% on app from 2% yesterday when I gave up. Seems electronic in nature. I’ve found how to roll back firmware updates on the controller so I’ll try that. But I think the easiest option might be an external charging plug direct to battery and skip the DJI pcb
Your past my help, you know more about this then I do.
If we keep the thread a live, somebody may help out.
I will try to think of somebody. 👌

Rod ..

This might be an option. After a trip to a local RC Shop I explained what I thought I could do by adding an external charger. He tested the new battery and said it’s fully charged at 8.36volts. This lead us to the conclusion that the remote is charging but isn’t calibrated to actual battery capacity. I’ve found the above video but am yet to do it. I’ve put the remote back together with a cover over the beeper and just used 2 full flight batteries with remote beeping low controller battery warning going off. It didn’t go fly or turn off. I figure if the remotes saying it’s flat all the time the charger will be putting volts to the battery whiles plugged in. i may in the future try this trick if it stops showing any charge via the led lights.

OMG!
Haven't watched the video yet, I have two P3A, P3S and a P2V+ Remote, never seen a P4, is there something I can test on mine?

Rod ..

@Starz
Are you one the guys I was going to look for?

Rod ..

As you have found out the issue is not the battery charging, it is the circuit that monitors the battery to deter how many leds to light and whether to annunciate the low battery warning. There is a small smt ic that can be reflowed to rectify this issue, but not always 100% effective. (the problem can recur due to the crappy no lead solder). So adding an external charge circuit is not going to help. If you have soldering skills give it a try, if not I could give it a go for ya the only charge would be shipping. Let me know. Al

P..S. This is a well known issue caused by poor quality production techniques compliments of our friends at DJI.
Where are some facts that are on this known issue?
I would like to know, I forgot I have another P3A remote. I used P3A package came with a remote with a broken antenna, I never needed it.

I will go see if I can charge it right now. :) 👌

I will give an update soon.

Rod ..

It appears your posting a P4 Remote, I have never seen one, that's is what messed me up earlier.
The name of the thread is?

Anyways, I got side tracked, it was official dead I hooked it up to a charger. Logged on to start an update.

All good with me. :) 👌

Rod ..

Reactions: Mark The Droner

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl