Phantom 3 Professional - which is best monitor to use?

Reaction score
Hi, can anyone tell me which is the best monitor to use? I'm currently using an iPad Mini 1st Gen but having issues with the screen redrawing itself. Keeps going black.

You can find a list of recommended and commonly used tablets and phones here.

KB-Best-Tablets.jpg

Reactions: RunningWithScissors
I was using an Asus Zenpad 8. Just bought a 128gb 9.7 IPad. Incredible difference in stability, clarity and speed. Fits perfectly in the cradle, even with a gel cover on it.

I have the same iPad and tried it but it is not powerful enough to keep up with the video feed. Not willing to pay for a better one just for use with my P3S, so I use my iPhone 8plus.

Hi, can anyone tell me which is the best monitor to use? I'm currently using an iPad Mini 1st Gen

Do you want to stay with Apple devices?... or would you be open to Android suggestions too?

I use a Huawei MediaPad M3 8.4 and like it... good performance for a good price and I like having the GPS

It really is a Ford vs Opel question and so open to personal bias.

The problem with the DJI approved list - is it is old and not updated. There are many new tablets on the market now that leave most of that list in the cold. But there are still some good ones especially if you are in the P3 range of models.

I use the Nexus vers 2 16Gb ..... some call it the 2012 version. I chose it because I tried various phones and other tablets but never had reliable results. The Nexus has had its moments ... it occasionally shuts down for no reason ... like yesterday. But overall - it works well. I would never use it fully for FPV though.

At the end of the day I think it comes down to :

1. iPad or Android
2. Do you want FPV quality or just reasonable video feedback ? I mean by that - best fastest video so FPV is viable.
3. How much you want to pay !

It appears that if you want FPV capability - then iPad seems to be the answer, but only if you cough up the daft sums of money they want !!

Nigel

I use the Nexus vers 2 16Gb ..... some call it the 2012 version. I chose it because I tried various phones and other tablets but never had reliable results. The Nexus has had its moments ... it occasionally shuts down for no reason ... like yesterday. But overall - it works well. I would never use it fully for FPV though.

I assume that you're talking about a Nexus 7? If so, then I'm with you on that. I have a Nexus 7 Vers 2, (also called '2nd Gen(eration) as well), but the year is 2013. (2012 was the 1st generation model, which doesn't work at all/work as well).

I've had none of the problems that you mention using it with my P3P though - and my Nexus 7 2nd Gen (2013) still works perfectly, with both DJI Go and Litchi.

Last edited:
I have the same phantom with an iPad mini 2. After changing the transmission settings to custom the live feed works perfectly

I assume that you're talking about a Nexus 7? If so, then I'm with you on that. I have a Nexus 7 Vers 2, (also called '2nd Gen(eration) as well), but the year is 2013. (2012 was the 1st generation model, which doesn't work at all/work as well).

I've had none of the problems that you mention using it with my P3P though - and my Nexus 7 2nd Gen (2013) still works perfectly, with both DJI Go and Litchi.

I think the confusion comes from idiot sellers who do not use the proper manufacturers ID's .....

I was confused when I found the Nexus 7 Vers 2 16Gb ... because I was looking for the 2012 as listed by various... to find out that 2012 and 2013 were terms NEVER used by Asus / Google themselves officially. They termed them Vers 1, 2 and I think they missed 3 and went straight to 4 ... but don't quote me on that !!

The info also indicated that Vers 1 ... was declared EoL in 2011 with Vers 2 replacing it later in 2012.

I hear that a new version is on its way ... MAYBE !! ... but rumour is that it may not be JV as before.

The main thing I found is that the Nexus benefits from being in Airplane mode and other app Force Closed.

Anyway - point is the Nexus 7 Vers 2 is a good all round unit ... the 16Gb is adequate ... refurbs are about $150 on eBay etc. If I was buying again ? I think I would take the 32Gb version just for that extra capacity ... IF you can find anyone who wants to sell theirs !!

Nigel

Y
I think the confusion comes from idiot sellers who do not use the proper manufacturers ID's .....

I was confused when I found the Nexus 7 Vers 2 16Gb ... because I was looking for the 2012 as listed by various... to find out that 2012 and 2013 were terms NEVER used by Asus / Google themselves officially. They termed them Vers 1, 2 and I think they missed 3 and went straight to 4 ... but don't quote me on that !!

The info also indicated that Vers 1 ... was declared EoL in 2011 with Vers 2 replacing it later in 2012.

I hear that a new version is on its way ... MAYBE !! ... but rumour is that it may not be JV as before.

The main thing I found is that the Nexus benefits from being in Airplane mode and other app Force Closed.

Anyway - point is the Nexus 7 Vers 2 is a good all round unit ... the 16Gb is adequate ... refurbs are about $150 on eBay etc. If I was buying again ? I think I would take the 32Gb version just for that extra capacity ... IF you can find anyone who wants to sell theirs !!

Nigel
Yep - it can get a bit confusing - but generally things tend to get called what going with the flow dictates. The 2nd generation/version was released in July 2013 as far as I can see Nexus 7 (2013) - Wikipedia and The new Nexus 7 vs. last year's model: what's changed? ,so it seems pretty logical to me to refer to it as that.

Anyway, yes, as you say, at least we're both agreed that in the main the Nexus 7 (2nd Generation (2013) works adequately (in your case) and very well (in mine)....

I've got a 32Gb, btw - but sorry, not selling... :)

I post this,this my 10/1 Samsung tab A (sm-p585y)android gps glonass,(coffee maker),payed heaps too.if you don't mind a brick stuck to your remote this works awsome,got neck brace but still heavy,run multiple apps ,dji djigo4 and litchi with a hitch,it's also me tablet for searching and is on cellular network ,never had a issue with flying even when a call comes through, yes I forget airplane mode heaps because no interference from nothing,I think just under 2 years I had this,never had to change and it
20180629_195010.jpg
makes for awsome viewing,just look at docket,it's been 1 year,seems long time but I forget I used the same 8" before it,and I hated looking at little screen ,especially in the settings

Last edited by a moderator:
I think at end of day - it comes down to what you want to do ...

I was happy with a standard sized Smartphone for a while - then had a 5" tablet ... but it kept crashing so i looked around and also at the DJI recc'd list ... the Nexus was at top of Android recc'd.

That's what I bought and I'm glad I did. I have to say - i will never pay the exorbitant price of iPad ... I just cannot justify that. and I detest with a vengeance iTunes and its related software set-up ... talk about locking your poor customer in !!

Nigel

Yes just got a fright again looking at my docket,but this NZ and very expensive for iPad, that's why I invest in this one,when it breaks it better have some gold in there,,
15302637194931092628710.jpg
I'm still going aaaaaarrrrrrrgggggg, :)

Does an Android tablet from 2013 still really work problem free with the latest versions of the GO app?
My iPad mini 2 which was the recommended tablet for the GO app just a couple of years ago is not working anymore with the latest versions of the GO4/GO apps, it says something about “mobile CPU fully loaded”, the video feed lags and gets pixelated all the time. I would also like to buy a good tablet which is also future proof for at least the next few upcoming versions of the GO app, but I’m not willing to pay for an iPad Pro just to use only with my P4, so if there are some a bit cheaper Android tablets out there that are reliable and handles the GO apps without any problems at all, and doesn’t cost too much then i would also like to hear about them?

Dunno about GO4 .... but latest GO before4 works fine with my Nexus vers 2 16Gb .... with latest FW on the P3P.

I just make sure I am in Airplane mode and if I use GO - I Force Stop Litchi ... and vv.

Nigel

Last edited:
Reactions: Jim Canada
Does an Android tablet from 2013 still really work problem free with the latest versions of the GO app?
My iPad mini 2 which was the recommended tablet for the GO app just a couple of years ago is not working anymore with the latest versions of the GO4/GO apps, it says something about “mobile CPU fully loaded”, the video feed lags and gets pixelated all the time. I would also like to buy a good tablet which is also future proof for at least the next few upcoming versions of the GO app, but I’m not willing to pay for an iPad Pro just to use only with my P4, so if there are some a bit cheaper Android tablets out there that are reliable and handles the GO apps without any problems at all, and doesn’t cost too much then i would also like to hear about them?
I used to get the dreaded "mobile CPU fully loaded" message also on my iPad Mini 2. Note that someone posted an excellent link on things to do to your older iPad to make it work with the DJI software. Before doing this list of things, my picture would freeze and go black all the time. It was unusable. I was ready to buy a new iPad 4, when I saw this link. After following all the instructions, making all the suggested changes, my old iPad 2 mini works great with both my Phantom 3 Advanced and my Mavic Pro. Sooooo happy! Here's the link for the iPad settings: Install DJI GO on an Apple Tablet or Phone (Step-by-Step Guide) - Phantom Help

Reactions: msinger

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor