Phantom 3 Emergency Stop button?

If landing, yes. You should not push the right stick down. If just doing a CSC for emergency purposes, then skip the throttle down and go directly to the corners.

If landing, yes. You should not push the right stick down. If just doing a CSC for emergency purposes, then skip the throttle down and go directly to the corners.

You are awear that does make the motors rev up slightly on one side.

What does? I mentioned two different methods.

What does? I mentioned two different methods.

But I just now took P3 out on the porch and fired it up and threw about 10 CSCs at it. Under such a controlled situation discovered that CSC both sticks down and to the center causes one of the right hand propellers to speed up. CSC down and to the outside causes one of the left hand propellers to speed up. Both actions take between 1 and 1.5 seconds to actually shut the motors off, hard to hit the stopwatch with toe at same time. Did it once with the bird about 6" off the deck and sure glad I have propeller guards on, wasn't hard but tilted to the left and propped up on the guard when it CSC'd.

Highlighted in red, both CSC actions cause an increase in speed of one set of propellers before the shut down occures.

Why are you pushing both sticks down before doing the CSC? You can safely test this with the props off. There is no need to keep them on since you can hear the motors rev up (if they do).

Why are you pushing both sticks down before doing the CSC? You can safely test this with the props off. There is no need to keep them on since you can hear the motors rev up (if they do).

Man, I'm telling ya!

If I do exactly what your illustration with the blue arrows shows, a set of motors rev BEFORE they shut off.

Don't know if it just my P3P or all of them. I can post a video if it is still not clear.

Correct. The motors will most certainly rev if you don't hold the throttle in the full down position before doing the CSC.

Man, I'm telling ya!

If I do exactly what your illustration with the blue arrows shows, a set of motors rev BEFORE they shut off.

Don't know if it just my P3P or all of them. I can post a video if it is still not clear.

You are correct... The motors will rev momentarily. As your sticks travel from center point to CSC position, it has no way of knowing you are headed towards a CSC, so a yaw and bank will occur, hence motor rev So, during the stick travel from neutral, to CSC position..you will notice a rev.

The faster you reach the full CSC position, preferably in a coordinated motion, the sooner the motors will shut down. This natural revving you are experiencing might not be precisely what you'd like...but it is normal behavior...and the best you've got in regards to emergency shut down.

Correct. The motors will most certainly rev if you don't hold the throttle in the full down position before doing the CSC.

So I just recorded this a minute ago. Turn up the volume and listen to the motors. CSC start-idle-CSC-Rev-slight delay-shutdown. Twice.

So I get concurrence by TAZ. And here is a video of exactly what I am talking about, you can hear the motors rev.

So I just recorded this a minute ago. Turn up the volume and listen to the motors. CSC start-idle-CSC-Rev-slight delay-shutdown. Twice.

So I get concurrence by TAZ. And here is a video of exactly what I am talking about, you can hear the motors rev.

So I am pretty sure a mid-air CSC will send the P3 wildly out of control, rolling to the right or rolling to the left. Recovering the thing mid-air from any altitude would be totally in the hands of the flight stabilization software and hardware. It is time for a GoFundMe for a couple experimental units. It's not going to my my P3P, that's for sure. :rolleyes:

So back on topic, This thing needs and EMERGENCY STOP

Last edited:
This thing needs and EMERGENCY STOP
Per your video, the motors stop in about .6 seconds. That doesn't give the Phantom much time to fly wildly out of control. In reality, it's going to drop like a rock.

So I am pretty sure a mid-air CSC will send the P3 wildly out of control, rolling to the right or rolling to the left. Recovering the thing mid-air from any altitude would be totally in the hands of the flight stabilization software and hardware. It is time for a GoFundMe for a couple experimental units. It's not going to my my P3P, that's for sure. :rolleyes:

It has any emergency stop and we have been talking about it.:rolleyes:

So I am pretty sure a mid-air CSC will send the P3 wildly out of control, rolling to the right or rolling to the left.
How long does it take you to move the sticks from the centre to the outside edge?
In an emergency situation you don't ease the sticks gradually.
The motors stop the instant the sticks reach the CSC position.
You aren't going to find anything quicker.
In the instant it takes to flick the sticks to CSC, the Phantom isn't going to go anywhere.
It isn't going to have time to be sent wildly out of control, rolling to the right or rolling to the left.
So back on topic - the Phantom has an emergency stop.

Per your video, the motors stop in about .6 seconds. That doesn't give the Phantom much time to fly wildly out of control. In reality, it's going to drop like a rock.

Not to good with this "Customer Support" concept are you @msinger

I think if I am flying 5 feet from a high tension line carrying 100KV and the bird flies uncontrollably a foot or two any direction and I cannot stop it in less than 0.6 seconds it is defined as wildly out of control. Maybe it is just me. shrug

How long does it take you to move the sticks from the centre to the outside edge?
In an emergency situation you don't ease the sticks gradually.
The motors stop the instant the sticks reach the CSC position.
You aren't going to find anything quicker.
In the instant it takes to flick the sticks to CSC, the Phantom isn't going to go anywhere.
It isn't going to have time to be sent wildly out of control, rolling to the right or rolling to the left.
So back on topic - the Phantom has an emergency stop.

Hate to tell ya @Meta but if you watch the video I posted it probably takes 100 milliseconds or less for my fingers to move the sticks to CSC and an additional 600 milliseconds for the motors to shut down and that is with one set of motors at an increased RPM. That is not instantaneous. If I were simply flying in an open field I agree with you, it would be defined as "instantaneous" but I am talking about using the Phantom in a more controlled manner with stricter requirements. If it can't do it fine. If it can and I don't know about it, well that is why I am asking. I don't want to have to spend my time engineering something if it already has such a thing.

Hate to tell ya @Meta but if you watch the video I posted it probably takes 100 milliseconds or less for my fingers to move the sticks to CSC and an additional 600 milliseconds for the motors to shut down
Hate to tell you but what you are counting is the time for the motors to come to a full stop.
If you CSC in the air, gravity will do its thing and the Phantom will begin to fall like a stone well before the motors stop spinning.

CSC is as close to instant as you will find. Whatever kind of switch you used the motors at high revs will take some time to come to a stop but the Phantom is falling well before that.

Hate to tell you but what you are counting is the time for the motors to come to a full stop.
If you CSC in the air, gravity will do its thing and the Phantom will begin to fall like a stone well before the motors stop spinning.

CSC is as close to instant as you will find. Whatever kind of switch you used the motors at high revs will take some time to come to a stop but the Phantom is falling well before that.

Tomorrow I will test that theory.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik