Phantom 3 crashed

Reaction score
Phantom 3 professional just crashed. New firmware, updated pilot app to 1.2.0. Had trouble with flight yesterday, crashed but no damage. Uninstalled and reinstalled v1.2.0, recalibrate Imu and gimbal. It flew ok for a short while and suddenly said No Signal even though I had 12 satellites. IT SUDDENLY WHTH NO WARNING CRASHED, battery level at 50%. Damage to mount holding Camera and Connection with 7 wires from body to Camera Mount is disconnected. Any suggestions as what to do next? Would appreciate any help! Thanks

Last edited:
I've used a good repair guy, if you're interested. I'm a customer (no commercial connection - other than spending too much of my money). Jeremy was impressively honest, prompt and competent. http://www.usdronerepair.com/ - interesting website, too.

Phantom 3 professional just crashed. New firmware, updated pilot app to 1.2.0. Had trouble with flight yesterday, crashed but no damage. Uninstalled and reinstalled v1.2.0, recalibrate Imu and gimbal. It flew ok for a short while and suddenly said No Signal even though I had 12 satellites. IT SUDDENLY WHTH NO WARNING CRASHED, battery level at 50%. Damage to mount holding Camera and Connection with 7 wires from body to Camera Mount is disconnected. Any suggestions as what to do next? Would appreciate any help! Thanks

Report the incident to DJI and submit flight logs. If the crash was the fault of the craft you will get warranty repair work. Otherwise if it's not a warranted repair I'd honstly say it's more cost effective to buy a new bird and use this one as a parts bird, that or part it out. The parts sold out are worth more than the unit as a whole when bought in the package.

On a side note. The app crashing would not cause the Phantom 3 to crash. They're independent systems and you could fly without using the app at all. You just wouldn't have the benefit of the FPV and changing settings on the fly.

Also you didn't leave much information to go on as to the cause of the crash, other than saying "it crashed" and you had "50% battery power" This could have just as easily been a user error related crash as it could have been some sort of system failure.

Hey, thanks for the feedback! Can't see it being a pilot error. I was flying in Safe Mode. Just hovering a few feet up and out. I saw the No Signal flash and then it suddenly dropped and flew right at me! How do I get the flight log out? Thanks

How many cycles of battery were you in. I am starting to think the battery fell at 30 cycles. I will post my flight data to show my battery during crash the other day.

A picture of the damage would help assess options. Little cautious by the "Had trouble with flight yesterday, crashed but no damage." comment. Greatly increases the chances that something went awry during crash 1 causing crash 2.

Losing signal AND suddenly crashing simultaneously sounds like a battery disconnection or critical board failure, however that supposes that the motor just cut out and it plummeted, your comment about it flying right at you indicates something different.

How many cycles of battery were you in. I am starting to think the battery fell at 30 cycles. I will post my flight data to show my battery during crash the other day.

Man, again your 30 cycles idea, no it is not 30 cycles. I saw your log you accelerated your bird as crazy while lifting up. What did you expect from that movement? As one guru here says - it is not a quadcopter, it may look as a drone, but it is not. It is just a flying camera with 4 propellers. Read the forum - most troubles are from moving sticks all the way up or down.

Man, again your 30 cycles idea, no it is not 30 cycles. I saw your log you accelerated your bird as crazy while lifting up. What did you expect from that movement? As one guru here says - it is not a quadcopter, it may look as a drone, but it is not. It is just a flying camera with 4 propellers. Read the forum - most troubles are from moving sticks all the way up or down.
I was just giving my opinion, I did not put my case in other cases but to remind them about the possible outcome of the battery at a particular number of cycles. He did mention he was at about 50% of the battery right? So that was my opinion. About the hard throttle, I do believe that I have to go a bit hard to get it out of ground effect first otherwise it is going to tip over. Secondly, I am sure there are lots and lots of people who would go hard on the movement sticks. It is not a crazy thing to do, it is just one of those things I have been learning to fly since I was a newbie. Once again it was only my humble opinion, please don't get offended as I am still learning everyday and my very first intentions were never to offend you in any way. I would never point out or give any opinions on your threads or posts again in order to avoid any mistakes which I might make later on. Happy flying! :)

Reactions: ScottyT
I was just giving my opinion, I did not put my case in other cases but to remind them about the possible outcome of the battery at a particular number of cycles. He did mention he was at about 50% of the battery right? So that was my opinion. About the hard throttle, I do believe that I have to go a bit hard to get it out of ground effect first otherwise it is going to tip over. Secondly, I am sure there are lots and lots of people who would go hard on the movement sticks. It is not a crazy thing to do, it is just one of those things I have been learning to fly since I was a newbie. Once again it was only my humble opinion, please don't get offended as I am still learning everyday and my very first intentions were never to offend you in any way. I would never point out or give any opinions on your threads or posts again in order to avoid any mistakes which I might make later on. Happy flying! :)

I'm with you there. Pretty standard flying for a lot of people I would imagine. Your actions shouldn't have caused a crash I don't believe. And if it can, DJI should make an announcement on the risks, as surely they have enough crash feedback by now.

And of course it's a quadcopter.

Reactions: zincsoldier
I'm with you there. Pretty standard flying for a lot of people I would imagine. Your actions shouldn't have caused a crash I don't believe. And if it can, DJI should make an announcement on the risks, as surely they have enough crash feedback by now.

And of course it's a quadcopter.
Luckily I have never said it was a drone. Ouch!!! :)

Wow, same thing happened happen to me. Both on the latest firmware. Did a 10 min flight and landed. Did auto take off and it hover there for a min and powered off and dropped. Around 54% on battery. Did see se a hint of low voltage till I picked up and restarted the P3 and finished out the battery checking for damage. Got my RMA and shipping out in the morn. Wonder what DJI will say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow, same thing happened happen to me. Both on the latest firmware. Did a 10 min flight and landed. Did auto take off and it hover there for a min and powered off and dropped. Around 54% on battery. Did see se a hint of low voltage till I picked up and restarted the P3 and finished out the battery checking for damage. Got my RMA and shipping out in the morn. Wonder what DJI will say.

Be interesting to see what they say after reviewing your logs.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of the auto-takeoff on the latest firmware. If I use it I'll push it up higher as it's a little unstable at the start. Same on manual take off actually. After a minute or so I can fly it as close to the ground as I like without issue. VPS turned off.

It should be covered under warranty . Logs show no throttle input . Just forward and backward movement. Then drop

30778862043d879e6b89ae8305eb4ec7.jpg

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic