phantom 3 crash with upset gimbal (video included)

Reaction score
So an out of nowhere breeze crashed my phantom 3 4K. I replaced 2 of the propellors and everything appears to work fine. Video and camera work great, except the camera will start twitching every now and then. Sometimes it goes minutes without doing it but then once it does it, it doesn't stop.

here is a video of the issue

I already took the backplate off of the motor and made sure that horizon screw was properly aligned as well as an IMU and gimbal calibration.

Any ideas?

I might also add that when it is flying/operating, it's completely level and everything functions normal. It just randomly twitches like it has tourettes every now and again.

Welcome to the Forum!
That's all I got :rolleyes:

Haven't seen that one before, maybe try a IMU and Gimbal cal again?
If your not getting any errors, then it seems like there is something telling to make that moment.
I just watched it again, it always moves the same direction?
Its telling you lets go out side, :rolleyes:

Rod

I'm actually browsing through them at the moment.

Rod

I see some that do a similar thing but can't seem to find any with a solved fix!

Hello,
That is a new one on me, but the gimbals usually go limp like that when motor overload, or friction ( something rubbing on something or binding against something )

Please scrutinize gimbal CLOSELY, for unseen damage, nick in the ribbon, all ribbon connections are FULLY inserted and locked down!

If still no avail, and gimbal looks good, I'd say gimbal roll board potentiometer may have suffered damage;
This part:
image.png

Here is a link ( I've seen them cheaper, so please search ) this is just an example.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/131989010214

I cannot see anything else that could be wrong? Keep us updated on your fix!

Hope this helps, and Good Luck!
J Dot
:cool:

Take care, Fly Safe!

Reactions: dirkclod and RodPad
Hey CodyL,
Sorry I was late to the thread. Been very busy with repairs lately.
As JDot mentions, check all of your connections and inspect the ribbon cable closely.
Also inspect the main data cable coming from the video logic board above the gimbal going into the phantom.
Are you getting any error messages in the go app for this issue? If it is a overload issue, it would show up in the app most likely.
One other thing, If the the aircraft had a significant jolt from the crash, there could be a possible loose or broken connection at the main controller board inside the aircraft.
That would take some time and knowledge of removing the top shell to do the inspection.
If you suspect it to be the roll sensor chip as JDot mentions above, no need to purchase online as a have a ton of these. The Sensor chip is the same on 2 axis of the gimbal.
Just PM me if you are interested. I will give it to you for free. All I ask is that you just pay the shipping for it. Good Luck!
BTW, If you have already resolved the issue by now as of this post, then happy flying my friend.:cool:,,
BB..

Last edited:
Reactions: RodPad

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav