Phantom 3 Advanced Image Sharpness

Reaction score
Hi,

My Phantom 3 Advanced was delivered yesterday, amazing bit of kit.

However, I have noticed in images and videos that one side of the image is sharper than the other? The left side of the image appears to be a lot sharper than the right, is this normal?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rtcjcme34oh4tez/DJITest3.JPG?dl=0

The linked photo shows what I'm experiencing. Would really appreciate peoples opinions/ thoughts. Thank you.

Yes, sticker has been removed and also had a very very good look at the lens with an LED torch for any marks/ imperfections. Lens looks perfect which is what makes things confusing!?

It is quite common for wide angle lenses to be slightly off centre. Even though these lenses are tiny they are quite complex and made up from several pieces of glass cemented together. It doesn't take much to be slightly off.

Not this again! I had to send my P2 Vision (original not plus) camera back twice before I got one with both sides in focus. This example isn't as grossly bad as either of mine but it's not great...

In your opinions do you think this is a hardware issue with the camera then?

Would you send the Phantom back for a replacement in the hope it cures it? appreciate all of your advice, thanks.

It depends on how important high resolution is to you. It probably wouldn't be very visible in video on a standard resolution screen but once you know the problem is there it is always quite going to be a bit annoying.

Thank you all for your input.

I noticed the difference in sharpness as soon as I first reviewed the footage. I think I will contact the company I bought it from for an exchange (hopefully they will have one in stock though :-/ )

Maybe I'm losing my eyesight but I don't see much of a difference between the left and right of your pic?

Maybe I'm losing my eyesight but I don't see much of a difference between the left and right of your pic?

When looking at the original file (you might have to download it, I can't really see it when just viewing it on DropBox) You can see the cars at the bottom left are really really sharp but towards the centre to top right of the screen the image looks quite a bit softer.

I don't know, If people say this is normal for the Phantoms then obviously I'm just being a bit too picky and have to live with it if it's highly likely a replacement unit would produce the same kind of images.

When looking at the original file (you might have to download it, I can't really see it when just viewing it on DropBox) You can see the cars at the bottom left are really really sharp but towards the centre to top right of the screen the image looks quite a bit softer.

I don't know, If people say this is normal for the Phantoms then obviously I'm just being a bit too picky and have to live with it if it's highly likely a replacement unit would produce the same kind of images.
I see it right where you describe. Take a few more test shots before coming to a conclusion, but I'm leaning toward something being off in the camera. I had to take my P2 camera apart and focus it myself.

I see it right where you describe. Take a few more test shots before coming to a conclusion, but I'm leaning toward something being off in the camera. I had to take my P2 camera apart and focus it myself.

Thanks. I'll take some more test shots and then go from there..

I could see the traffic bollard out of focus on the right when zoomed in but had nothing on the left side that was at the same distance. Can you take another pic with 2 similar subjects that are the extreme left and right of the pic and both being the same distance away from the p3 if you get what I mean mate

The upper right is definitely blurry compared to the left side. I would like to see more pictures to eliminate motion and distance. Perhaps a picture of the side of a building that took up the whole frame. Then you could compare details like bricks, windows, etc...
If there is a problem, don't settle for putting up with it, return it and get an exchange or repair.

UK weather is pretty crappy today, very windy. So I have taken a few test shots while sitting the Phantom on a stool and taking the photos from the App as normal.

a photo of a wall shows the centre and top right as blurry

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cmmjhyselpk9ro6/DJI_0009.JPG?dl=0

and a photo from last night (static hover) shows an incredibly sharp left but blurry centre again.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vu4sib0skx03dp2/DJI_0005.JPG?dl=0

If you think I'm being too picky here, just say. The lens is spotless from marks/ dust and fingerprints. I'm used to using DSLR's and GoPro's and would expect a bit of distortion/ blur/ weakness at the corners, but this just seems very obvious to me each time I look at the image full size on a large iMac.

Also, really appreciate all your input, from other Phantom users who can tell me if this is normal behaviour or not. I posted this on the DJI forum and not a single person replied. Thanks

I took a photo this morning and it seem to be pretty even throughout left to right in middle of lens.

I need to take another with it pointing towards the ground.

DJI_0006.JPG

I took a photo this morning and it seem to be pretty even throughout left to right in middle of lens.

I need to take another with it pointing towards the ground.

View attachment 18790

Wow, that's the kind of image quality I was expecting. Incredible photo!

I have just updated the firmware, If the weather permits a test flight later I'll give that a go, but if I still get the same results I'll contact the seller I bought it from on Monday for a replacement/ repair.

Thank you all for your help.

I kinda see it now. It's not perfect and I'd probably be happy with it but video is my main thing. Did you send the pics to dji support telling them of your issues? Do that and let us know what they say. Use some extracts of other owners responses to your post and see what they say. If you send it back you are probably looking at a 6 week turnaround. Can someone tag bladestrike or Tahoe Ed to see what their opinion is?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.