Phantom 2 - one slow propeller

Reaction score
I just noticed that one of the propellers on the DJI phantom 2 is not spinning as fast as the others. I switched around the white propellers and it seemed to improve a little but looks like it's still slower than the other three. You can see when it's idling, the propeller slows then speeds up and the LED for the propeller blinks. This happens when the battery is around 50% or lower. At full charge it doesn't happen. The phantom is hovering well and flying well it's just that when it's idling that motor is not spinning as fast as the others. Is this a problem, should I be concerned?

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRNFWJgDtM4[/youtube]
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvLyoiFbazw[/youtube]

dtdyer01 said:
Can it fly?

On my videos 1 always looks slower, but that's just how the video looks
https://vimeo.com/87961908 at 2:50 you can really see it. I think its a combination of FPS of the camera and tilt.

It flies and hovers well but you can see it more plainly by naked eye than by video that the front right propeller is idling at a much lower speed. I will see if I can disconnect the zenmuse and use the gopro to do a slow motion video of the idling propeller. I have never used the slow motion before but maybe then we can count the number of rotations or the propeller and see the difference.

I will follow this post as i have a front left that seems like it is slowing down before all others and i have been noticing some slight correction for it in flight. Is there anyway( compressed air?) to blow them out, just to make sure there isn't any little chunk of foam or dust in it?

Chris
F2V - NEWBIE

I've been wondering if it could be dust cuckooclick or if it needs some lubrication but I don't think a motor like this one needs oil, does it?

Oiling the bearings is a matter for some debate. But in your case, you shouldn't be seeing any issues from bearing wear at such an early stage, oil or not. The motor that is slower, does it turn smoothly compared to the others? Can you wiggle the top of the motor more than the others? Can you pull it up at all? Finally, after running it, feel the temperature of it and compare to the others.

It turns as smoothly as the others. If I shut the phantom down it is the first motor to stop spinning. The other 3 motors stop spinning at exactly the same time about a second later. If I spin the motors with my hand I feel that it spins less than the others with the same force (though this may be a bit more subjective). I think it is just slightly harder to turn than the others (by hand).

What do you mean by pulling it up?

I'll have to check on the temperature tomorrow but I believe they're all about the same temperature after a 5 to 10 minute run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Almmohd said:
What do you mean by pulling it up?

I'll have to check on the temperature tomorrow but I believe they're all about the same temperature after a 5 to 10 minute run.

Remove the prop and try to wiggle the top of the motor side to side. Then try to pull it up. You are looking for play in the bearing which would indicate it needs to be replaced. Make sure you take the temps after running the motors under load, i.e. not just idling on the ground.

No I'm not feeling any sort of play on the motor.

I don't have a thermometer to get the temps I just use touch. I'll take another flight tomorrow and see if there's any noticeable temperature difference.

Mmm...I do a novelty pen with a thermometer on it but I'm not sure how accurate it is. I'll have to retrieve it next time I'm in the office.

If there was a bearing or some other friction issue, you'd notice the different temperature by touch alone. No need for a thermometer. Sounds like your motor has a slight difference in rotational resistance but it doesn't sound catastrophic. Just keep an eye on it and check using the methods I described above from time to time.

Report it to your supplier and ask them what to do. If they say keep flying and you have a crash due to motor malfunction you can much easier claim under warranty.

Great idea Big Ben, I think I'm still under 30 days for the purchase too.

Took a video of the props @ 720p 120fps, how the heck do they do those super slow mo vids with the gopro? :?

Feedback from the dealer:

"This is a common occurrence and is not a major issue. If the copter begins to drift while it is hovering then you need to perform the IMU advanced calibration.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZmFlDnpjaM
This is a link for the video so you can review the steps and perform it correctly.
Please let us know if there is anything else we can assist you with."

:|

Sounds like good advice?

Now you have them on record saying it's OK to fly. If the motor malfunctions you are in a stronger position to have any damage repaired under warranty.

BTW. The Motor Idle Speed setting in the Advanced tab of the Assistant software is set to "Recommended"? You could experiment a bit with that setting.

We don't have a motor idle speed setting on the P2. At least, I don't recall seeing it. BTW, good idea on reporting potential issue with vendor.

Hi Almmohd do you have any news or updates on this matter, issue? Is it solved or is there any problem came up?

I have same situation with my Vision plus and don't know what to do?

Thank you in advance!

It's interesting to see that the affected motor also blinks. Did you communicate that with the vendor? Do you notice the blinking during flight? Watching the idle it is clear that the speed changes immediately after a flash of the light.

Perhaps someone else knows, are the lights also controlled by the ESCs?

Edit: Just noticed OP is back in March. :roll:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik