Phantom 2 Catastrophic Failure after Firmware 3.06

Walter said:
http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/08/03/review-using-the-dji-phantom-2-vision-camera-drone-with-apples-iphone

I bet a few million people read this.

Great crash analysis by those guys..

I just got off the phone with a girl who found my P2 after it tumbled over her in the surf today. Obviously the label with my phone number stayed on. I can't say that for the camera, gimbal, landing gear, props, VTX.
I asked her to send me some photos of it. It is pretty trashed from being in the Salt Water and Surf and not much left.

I will probably have her mail it back to me as it is an hour and a half drive to get it.

wkf94025 said:
Navman said:
Wish they would fix this as it's meant to fly with the GoPro

It's tells me if I forgot to turn on recording rather than spend 10 minutes getting the perfect footage only to land and find out I took a stupid pill first thing in the morning

I agree that having the option of red recording circle on the screen, not in the way of other important iOSD fields, would have avoided my experiencing the stupid pill loss you described. It WAS great footage, trust me. :oops:

Easy fix... set the Gopro to 'One Button On' in the settings and when you power the Phantom up the Gopro will start recording. ;)

@ Xrover - use a water retrieval device on the next one. I have one that deploys a 100' kevlar line that floats up to the surface. Lightweight and small.

EMCSQUAR said:
ToddSmi said:
If it was a battery related problem (which seems very likely IMHO), voltage is the key. The P2 has a hidden third low battery threshold in addition to the 1st and 2nd level warnings (has always had this - unrelated to the firmware update). This uses 10.65V as its threshold. Both this voltage threshold and the 2nd Level Low Battery Warning will trigger auto-landing. Altitude theoretically can be maintained if necessary by pushing up on the throttle stick, but this is dependent on the health of the battery. In your case, it seems as though the first two battery warnings were never hit because it just went from typical voltage reading to a low voltage reading really fast (not uncommon with a bad battery cell). At first you were able to fight the altitude loss somewhat by using full throttle, but due to the defective battery it eventually could no longer provide enough power to the motors and "dropped" as you described it. If any of us were in your shoes that day, our model would have experienced the same fate. I don't know if it will help, but if I were you I would petition DJI to see if they will step up for you given all the evidence points to this being a result of a bad battery.

I'd be interested to where you obtained this "hidden 3rd low battery threshold" information. I've done alot of testing and have flown well below 10.65. Aa a matter of fact, my 1st level on my current P2 is 10.6, 2nd level is 10.2 and have flown it with warnings off to 9.9. Could you provide where you obtained this information?

Sure...next to last paragraph on bottom of page:
http://wiki.dji.com/en/index.php/Phantom_2-Flight

I'm sorry to hear this - it must suck big-time, hope they'll fix this issue soon!

I just got my Phantom 2 yesterday, I'm not sure I even dare to fly it now :S

If driving it in ATT mode instead of GPS mode - will this prevent it from doing a random fly-away or crash?

Are all you guys flying 3.06 now?
Do you notice any differences in throttle response?

Tobbsie said:

If driving it in ATT mode instead of GPS mode - will this prevent it from doing a random fly-away or crash?

How much RC experience do you have? If you haven't flown RC helis before, ATTI mode is much more likely to cause you to crash than to prevent it. I really would start off with GPS mode if I were you.

Tobbsie said:
I'm sorry to hear this - it must suck big-time, hope they'll fix this issue soon!

If you are new to Multirotors I would suggest you start getting comfortable flying it in Phantom Mode instead of Naza Mode. The I would keep the right side toggle switch in the up position (Full GPS Mode) Don't fly Atti Mode until you are really familiar with the Copter.

I would not upgrade to 3.06 at this point. Fly with the Firmware it came with...... For now.

It seems to me, after reading all these stories, that 3.06 has some kind of bug that has failed communication with some of the batteries. Making the Phantom think the battery is very low and causing auto-descend. Not one of the two user lowbat levels, but the emergency level.
I wonder if anyone who recovered their P2, preferably not wet, did some accurate measurements of actual battery voltages, comparing to what the OSD is showing, both percentage, voltage, possibly Assistant readings.
I read somewhere that there are two "versions" of the same battery. Possibly the newer ones have faulty smart "communication".
It also looks like the newer Phantom 2s are affected, or those who recently bought new batteries.

I heard that there was some talk that batteries from about 6 months ago might have an issue with some bad cells.

It could be that the combination of 3.06 with bad batteries causes this. Whereas left with 3.04, the battery might keep going for some time, just one day the Phantom would drop from the sky without any other behavior (which has been reported too).
Either way, DJI really needs to solve this, because I'm sure Jhook was annoying, but not as annoying and dangerous as a couple pounds falling from the sky.

Fyod said:
It could be that the combination of 3.06 with bad batteries causes this. Whereas left with 3.04, the battery might keep going for some time, just one day the Phantom would drop from the sky without any other behavior (which has been reported too).
Either way, DJI really needs to solve this, because I'm sure Jhook was annoying, but not as annoying and dangerous as a couple pounds falling from the sky.

I will take a Drunken Sparrow over a Pelican any Day!! :?

EMCSQUAR said:
To OP: Sorry to hear of your loss. By your description it almost sounds like VRS. Theonly way to recover from VRS is to move in any direction, but giving more throttle when it's in VRS just amplifies the effect. Just a thought.

Since you were involved with the beta testing, I'm sure Andy (director of sales) will make your situation right.

I dont think it was VRS. Vortex Ring State is accompanied in nearly every single case with a rapid gyration and loss of apparent control as the autopilot desperately tries to dampen out the out of thrust balance condition. The resulting extra torque causes the craft to spin rapidly too in many cases. This holds true for ANY multirotor of any size. My first VRS panic was a near hit, (which is what a near miss REALLY is) where just prior to recovery my phantom smacked into the ground chopping off 1/4" of the prop in the AIR from the rapid gyration. It then bounced off the ground and flew perfectly level and sounded no different until it landed and I saw the missing end of the prop. In any case, after that I came up with a VRS recovery method which is outlined elsewhere on the forums here and so far, knock on polystyrene, I have fully recovered in every single subsequent case prior to any impact. I have induced it intentionally to test the process (and my faith!) and VRS IS fully recoverable. I have induced it about 5-6 times with rapid descents in gusty winds and had VRS onset at least 25 times so far. If you look it up here on the forum you will find the process. Ok thats enough on that... Getting back to his problem with his lost phantom...

So based on my experience with VRS, this failure as described doesnt sound at all like VRS but sounds like an auto descent issue triggered perhaps by a software error associated with shutting down the RTH on Low batt feature? Worth a test to see with a tethered craft and a tension meter measuring lift. If I had one to spare I would certainly do this. I always have to know I can feel comfortable flying equipment over water especially since I am doing that later this month when I chase a 90 foot schooner up to a half mile off shore as they make sail as part of the schooner company's promotional video. As far as the apparent gradual auto descent, I have to think that the iosd was properly reporting battery strength but it IS possible that the DISTANCE from the home location could have triggered the auto descent via the battery calculation it seems. Let me know what you all think but a NEW process might be to find out the triggers in the software and then live within those margins. I am sure with testing we can figure this out.

One workaround however might be to quickly flop into ATT mode and back to GPS to see if that will reset that trigger. I know I read that switching modes DOES affect how the craft responds in original mode for some reason. Alternatively the failsafe select might also do this since it would try to then climb. If the delay for the climb is too great I would think that the ATT mode would be the best bet. The HARDEST part is keeping your cool when its happening... Just like with VRS, which induces CRS (cant remember sh--), its easy to lose it. I just kept practicing in my office with the controller in my hands. Visualized the VRS onset and made it instinct to move the craft and do the recovery manuever. When it happened instinct takes over. For the uncommanded auto descent there must be a way to override the software. Perhaps having Manual mode on that S1 switch? In the worst case that would dump all the programming right?

This raises an interesting question for me: does all the RTH and auto-landing behavior go out the window when you switch to Manual mode? If so, might be worth practicing Manual mode over some soft grass.

Kelly

Easy fix... set the Gopro to 'One Button On' in the settings and when you power the Phantom up the Gopro will start recording. ;)

Holy Fornicate! I was not aware of this!! :shock:
Tip of the day for me. Thanks!

Submariner said:

That's One way of doing it. I like confirmation on my iosd that it is recording and if the GoPro just stops recording randomly (which it does) I want to see it on the osd. I guess I'm Old Fashion ;) but I want as much pertinent info in my face when I'm shootin!

hsestes said:
Has anyone seen any strange behavior with their 3-D gimbal after upgrading to firmware 3.06? It was working fine before the upgrade and now after the upgrade it almost appears as if the motors are in a bind?

I had an issue but an advanced calibration of the P2 seemed to solve this problem. My 3D was wigging out pretty hard until I recal'd. Not sure if two really are related, however.

Wow, so many issues with all these Firmware upgrades. No Thanks....I'll stay on 1.08 forever probably. I just don't see any realistic benefit to upgrading the firmware. I've just had great experience with 1.08, absolutely no issues after many many flights.

stewdaddy said:
Wow, so many issues with all these Firmware upgrades. No Thanks....I'll stay on 1.08 forever probably. I just don't see any realistic benefit to upgrading the firmware. I've just had great experience with 1.08, absolutely no issues after many many flights.

If you are happy with your Phantom then don't update the Firmware unless you really need to.

Xrover said:
Submariner said:

That's One way of doing it. I like confirmation on my iosd that it is recording and if the GoPro just stops recording randomly (which it does) I want to see it on the osd. I guess I'm Old Fashion ;) but I want as much pertinent info in my face when I'm shootin!

Agreed xrover, info shouldn't be on top of other info as the P2 was made to fly a GoPro.

One button is an option but to be filling up the SD card while waiting for the Phantom to aquire Sats. doing the compass dance is a waste IMHO.

In addition, I'm old School thinking in feet not meters, mph vs meter per second.. checked the speedometer on my truck today, couldn't find meter per second... :shock:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers