Phantom 2 5200 mah mod 100% battery reset

Reaction score
I modified the Phantom 2 to use standard Lipo batteries but Can't figure out how to reset the original board that I took out from the factory battery. I have done it in the past but can't remember how I did it. I think it has something to do with holding the power button while plugging in the jst connector then unplugging the connector while still holding button. I can't remember if that was the procedure or not so that the fully charged battery shows 100% battery like the battery actually is. any help or links would be appreciated

Reactions: thaixeon76
Found this Procedure but not if this will do what I need it to do:

Steps to Power-On:

1. Power-On the Remote Control
2. Connect the LiPo balance cable
3. Power-On the Smart Battery board
4. Connect the Lipo XT60
5. Wait for GPS Fix and flight!

Steps to Reset the Smart Battery board:
1. Push and hold the buttom
2. Connect the LiPo Balance cable
3. Disconnect the LiPo Balance cable and release the button

Any Ideas other than this method?

FWIW I don't recall any method to reset the/a DJI battery data [board].
Maybe that's just me.

One problem with your list above is... there is no 'LiPo balance cable' for any Phantom since the intro of the P2 (maybe for FC40, P1, etc.)???

Those earlier a/c use off-the-shelf LiPos IIRC.

Reactions: yorlik
I have already completed the battery mod with the removed smart board and added the jst cable for balance. its just that the smart board reads that the battery is only 50% when it is actually 100% charged.

Attachments

• 20180130_191039.jpg
    20180130_191039.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 2,836
  • 20180130_191112.jpg
    20180130_191112.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 1,839
I figured it out. Hold the power button and plug in JST connector then unplug within 2 seconds while still holding button then let go of button and memory will reset letting it know the true percentage of battery.

I figured it out. Hold the power button and plug in JST connector then unplug within 2 seconds while still holding button then let go of button and memory will reset letting it know the true percentage of battery.

If you wired the balance socket and battery info wires correctly it should read the full charge of the battery.without your workaround. From the photos, you posted it appears you have the longer battery of the two 5200 mAh 3s batteries that Turnigy makes. The shorter battery is more the size of the OEM unit. Here is the size:10.5mm (L) x 3.3mm (H) x 4.3mm (W). I had ordered the wrong battery the first time and sent it back for the correct one. Also with the shorter battery, you can use the OEM battery cap but it would have to be held on with a velcro strap because the cap locks are not strong enough to hold it in place.

Since 5400 mAh aftermarket were so cheap I never completed the modification.

If you wired the balance socket and battery info wires correctly it should read the full charge of the battery.without your workaround. From the photos, you posted it appears you have the longer battery of the two 5200 mAh 3s batteries that Turnigy makes. The shorter battery is more the size of the OEM unit. Here is the size:10.5mm (L) x 3.3mm (H) x 4.3mm (W). I had ordered the wrong battery the first time and sent it back for the correct one. Also with the shorter battery, you can use the OEM battery cap but it would have to be held on with a velcro strap because the cap locks are not strong enough to hold it in place.

Since 5400 mAh aftermarket were so cheap I never completed the modification.
I printed a cap for it and after i did the reset i got a little over 15 minutes of flight, ill time the next flight to get exact flight time

I printed a cap for it and after i did the reset i got a little over 15 minutes of flight, ill time the next flight to get exact flight time

If you have a gimbal, GoPro, and FPV system including the mini iOSD that is just about the maximum you are going to get per flight due to the weight of the P2. If you have the newer 2312 motors and 9450 props you may get a few minutes more in flight time depending on how you're flying.

If you have a gimbal, GoPro, and FPV system including the mini iOSD that is just about the maximum you are going to get per flight due to the weight of the P2. If you have the newer 2312 motors and 9450 props you may get a few minutes more in flight time depending on how you're flying.
I was getting 10 minutes of flight with same setup using a brand new stock battery and 15 minutes plus using 5200mah battery. Id say thats an improvement plus i will get more flight time over the next 2 flights after the smart board recognizes the new battery size. The board updates per previous flight which it updates its "fuel gage" as something different. Ill post later on results

I was getting 10 minutes of flight with same setup using a brand new stock battery and 15 minutes plus using 5200mah battery. Id say thats an improvement plus i will get more flight time over the next 2 flights after the smart board recognizes the new battery size. The board updates per previous flight which it updates its "fuel gage" as something different. Ill post later on results

If the you battery claim is a new stock battery and the model number is 733496 an original and was replace by PH2 around mid-2015. I normally flew and landed when the battery was at 8 percent and with new OEM from takeoff to landing 15 minutes. But again it all depends on how you flying and if you are hotdogging the less airtime you'll have.

Tried holding the button and plugging in the balance plug, still get the one flashing LED. Any other ways to get it to recognize the new battery capacity?

Reactions: skrilla269
Tried holding the button and plugging in the balance plug, still get the one flashing LED. Any other ways to get it to recognize the new battery capacity?
found this BUT think it's for batt FW reset
If your battery is bricked by the recent FW update AND you do not wish to pursue DJI support warranty OR you are outside the 3 months Battery Warranty Period, here’s a tip on resetting the battery’s IC FW.
Disclaimer: please only attempt to do this if you are confident and know exactly what you are doing. Be careful not to Short the red and black wires. Proceed at your own risk.
1. Carefully detach the battery’s top cover – a fine knife or flat head screw driver will allow you to easily unclip the cover.
2. Gently disconnect the balance plug / loom to the IC. Let it sits unplugged for 60min.
3. Reattach the plug / loom.
4. Fully charge your battery and do two full cycle at low level hover.
5. Condition your battery and you are good to go.
This will reset and fix all batt bricked by FW.
Enjoy and Safe flying
Lynh Phan

FWIW I don't recall any method to reset the/a DJI battery data [board].
Maybe that's just me.

One problem with your list above is... there is no 'LiPo balance cable' for any Phantom since the intro of the P2 (maybe for FC40, P1, etc.)???

Those earlier a/c use off-the-shelf LiPos IIRC.
hey N017RW how do I get 8K post and 3000 likes

You sure enjoy posting all over this thread for someone that calls this model stupid. Maybe you would get more "likes" if you rephrase your opinions. The ESC will not burn up and I am getting 25 minute flights with these batteries and mods.

He gets those figures by knowing what he's talking about.

He gets those figures by knowing what he's talking about.
Exactly, and you get one "like" for helping earlier in the thread instead of bashing like this other guy. Thanks again for your help a few months back.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.