Phantom 1.1.1 with P2V props - Gain adjustment?

Yes, the ones in the second row marked 'atti'. Lower all except vertical, that's what I did anyway.

Without this mod, in GPS mode it over-compensates. It just doesn't fly stable, constantly bumbling around n as it over-corrects.

I don't know how else to say it.

Glad I did this, huge difference.

dbcch said:
Yes, the ones in the second row marked 'atti'. Lower all except vertical, that's what I did anyway.

Without this mod, in GPS mode it over-compensates. It just doesn't fly stable, constantly bumbling around n as it over-corrects.

I don't know how else to say it.

Glad I did this, huge difference.
OK-can you copy your numbers somehow, or post a screenshot, so I can see which ones you changed, and to what?
Thanks
I'm not sure my "rate cut" will make a difference.....?? seems like you need to adjust the gains?

hmmm, id be interested in exact numbers and screenshots maybe as well. I started another thread today cause I just slapped on vision props and it seems too "peppy"

hmmm, I am reading this articly http://www.dslrpros.com/Blog/tabid/...arbon-fiber-props/language/en-US/Default.aspx I know this is for the 9 inch carbon fiber vision props, I bought the 9 inch white plastic vision props for my original phantom, so the numbers wont be perfect, but I figure its a ballpark.

Anyways it says in that article to use
(Pitch / Roll / Yaw / Vertical) set at (190 / 190 / 150 / 150) and the (Attitude) set at (70 / 70).
Currently I am set at 125 / 125/ 100/ 100 and attitude 100/100

that means I am INCREASING the first 4 values? If I am complaining that it seems too "peppy" would I want to start by decreasing values? Yes the last values, the attitude values are being decreased from 100 to 70, is that more the source of what causes the peppyness? I am thinking I will try leaving the first four at 125 /125/ 100/ 100 and then attitude at 70 /70 and experimenting from there.

MILLER4PRESIDENT2020 said:
hmmm, I am reading this articly http://www.dslrpros.com/Blog/tabid/...arbon-fiber-props/language/en-US/Default.aspx I know this is for the 9 inch carbon fiber vision props, I bought the 9 inch white plastic vision props for my original phantom, so the numbers wont be perfect, but I figure its a ballpark.

Anyways it says in that article to use
(Pitch / Roll / Yaw / Vertical) set at (190 / 190 / 150 / 150) and the (Attitude) set at (70 / 70).
Currently I am set at 125 / 125/ 100/ 100 and attitude 100/100

that means I am INCREASING the first 4 values? If I am complaining that it seems too "peppy" would I want to start by decreasing values? Yes the last values, the attitude values are being decreased from 100 to 70, is that more the source of what causes the peppyness? I am thinking I will try leaving the first four at 125 /125/ 100/ 100 and then attitude at 70 /70 and experimenting from there.

Almost nobody uses the old dslr gain settings. They were intended for a specific package, and even then the consensus is that is they're not any kind of "ideal" or "default" settings for 9" props.

well its freezing cold out and its going to be a pain running in and out then rehooking the phantom up to the computer but I just tried this and it seemed better.
PITCH ROLL YAW VERTI ATT ATT
100, 100, 100, 100, 70, 70.

I am not so much concerned with the reaction speed of left right forward backward, that was fine, its the fact that the phantom seemed to tap dance around just to maintain a hover. I take it those characteristics are effected by the last two ATTITUDE numbers which i decreased to 70. I'll experiment some more and report back

well its freezing cold out and its going to be a pain running in and out then rehooking the phantom up to the computer but I just tried this and it seemed better.

I am not so much concerned with the reaction speed of left right forward backward, that was fine, its the fact that the phantom seemed to tap dance around just to maintain a hover. I take it those characteristics are effected by the last two ATTITUDE numbers which i decreased to 70. I'll experiment some more and report back

Are you making individual gain changes in Assistant and then running outside to test, rinse repeat?

I don't know your setup but if you can, set your x1 to a specific gain channel and you can make adjustments in real-time as you fly. It's the single best way to reliably test changes.

ElGuano said:

Are you making individual gain changes in Assistant and then running outside to test, rinse repeat?

I don't know your setup but if you can, set your x1 to a specific gain channel and you can make adjustments in real-time as you fly. It's the single best way to reliably test changes.
ya, is X1 referring to a custom transmitter like futaba? I am just using the stock transmitter

ElGuano said:

ya, is X1 referring to a custom transmitter like futaba? I am just using the stock transmitter
Stock, but you need the gimbal tilt lever installed (or a screwdriver).

i dont have the controllable gimbal installed but i think i see what you are talking about, If I get rid of IOC on my left toggle switch, I can now assign it to have varying percentage values for a particular axis, in this case Ill use ATT, so I dont have to keep running inside and out. I think thats what I just did. I assigned ATT to X2 so now when I move it shows values of something like 200% 110% and 65% on the Naza screen. Let me run out and see if that has any effect.

That's the idea but you want a smooth rolling pot rather than a toggle switch since you need a lot more granularity when adjusting your gains. It's worth getting a gimbal tilt lever just for that, though in a pinch you could find a small screwdriver that fits and turns the pot (though that makes control a bit of a 3-handed affair.

Before I went flying today, I increased the gains on the Phantom 1 back closer to defaults. BIG mistake. It flew pretty darn terrible. You can see the extreme roll, for instance.. HUGE angle. That's what happens when the gains are too high.

However, I'm posting because, despite:

1. It being way too 'jumpy' and over-correcting due to gains too high for 9" props
2. A terrible pilot (my wife), flying INSANELY aggressive, left/right/up/down .. total chaos
3. NO Gimbal
4. NO vibration absorbers
5. And even props not in great shape.

Despite ALL THAT.. The video doesn't have ANY of the famous 'Jello Effect' !

Camera is Hero3+ Black.

So, maybe the larger props help mitigate the jello effect on the Phantom 1?!?

Again, Phantom 1 with GoPro using standard mount and wife controlling, so NOT ME flying like a crazy person.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6raDfqxgSs[/youtube]

Thanks for posting-interesting.
Would you mind posting the gain values you had before, that worked better, and the gain values you used for this video?
Obviously you don't have the Zen gimbal, and FPV-which adds weight, so your Phantom is going to be lighter than what I'm flying.

Do you have the capabilities of using the 7th channel on a remote(like the gimbal tilt lever), to manually adjust the gains in real time?

I still don't have my Vision props. But, I've discovered how to manually adjust the gains with the X1 channel(VR knob), on my Futaba remote.
It would be helpful for those with less experience to go through the steps some of you used, to manually adjust the gains, using the X1/7th channels method.
I've been told to start with Attitude as my first adjustment-in GPS mode. I'm going to assume that if it's good in GPS mode, I should make the same gain value in attitude mode?

Also, I'd like to compile a list of those Phantom 1/2 drivers that are currently using Vision props, the options they have on their aircraft-like FPV, Zen, iOSD mini, etc..and also the weight of the aircraft, with battery.

It's nice to see that the aircraft is "controllable" with factory gain settings. That said-it looks to me like a base line of around 100 for everything to start might be prudent. However, with that set-you will only get to a max positive valued of 200-and some I've talked to needed more than 200 in the yaw axis.

So, as I sit here, looking at the State where my props were shipped from-on a very slow Donkey......I'll await the results from others.
Perhaps, once I get my props, I can do a video on the steps I took, to arrive at my final numbers.
Thanks for your contribution.

dbcch said:
Before I went flying today, I increased the gains on the Phantom 1 back closer to defaults. BIG mistake. It flew pretty darn terrible. You can see the extreme roll, for instance.. HUGE angle. That's what happens when the gains are too high.

However, I'm posting because, despite:

1. It being way too 'jumpy' and over-correcting due to gains too high for 9" props
2. A terrible pilot (my wife), flying INSANELY aggressive, left/right/up/down .. total chaos
3. NO Gimbal
4. NO vibration absorbers
5. And even props not in great shape.

Despite ALL THAT.. The video doesn't have ANY of the famous 'Jello Effect' !

Camera is Hero3+ Black.

So, maybe the larger props help mitigate the jello effect on the Phantom 1?!?

Again, Phantom 1 with GoPro using standard mount and wife controlling, so NOT ME flying like a crazy person.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6raDfqxgSs[/youtube]

Why do you have the prop guards on with the larger props?

FlyingFanta said:

First, those are the Phantom 2 prop guards designed for 9" propellers. They are NOT the old prop guards that wouldn't even cover the 9" props. These are longer, thinner..

Why have them at all? This is my wife flying, she's still learning ;p. I don't have them on my P2V.

Here's a video from my P2V to make up for that horrendous one from my wife:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjJIgZdK9_8[/youtube]

CunningStuntFlyer said:
FlyingFanta said:

It's a TN hillbilly thing.

Really? Like I just said, those are the PROPER prop guards for 9" props.

And, like I said, with the wife flying this Phantom 1, she needs them.

Maybe if you spent less time throwing out slurs, you'd know that Phantom 2 (9") prop guards do exist, and can be slapped on a Phantom 1 just fine.

CunningStuntFlyer said:
dbcch said:
Here's a video from my P2V to make up for that horrendous one from my wife:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjJIgZdK9_8[/youtube]

Ouch. That's really jerky and unstable as well.

It's not a professional video. It's a hobby, fun flight. Obviously. It was also fairly windy.

Ignorant trolls.

CunningStuntFlyer didn't even know that they made prop guards for 9" props, lol .. silly trolls.

See, isn't going off topic, insulting people over *nothing*, fun?

Ugh, what am I doing, arguing with 15 year olds.

This is just a hobby, I'm just talking. Not professional video.

The point was that the 9" props may do something to improve the infamous 'jello effect', even though it's no longer an issue for anyone with a decent setup. I had expected extreme jello on a stock Phantom /w GoPro thrown on. Oh well, never mind. Go get back to your homework.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik