Phantom 1.1.1 with P2V props - Gain adjustment?

I currently have the Phantom FC40 which comes with the self-tightening 8" props. I was getting some decent flying time with the stock lipo (9 min - I am conservative..lol). I took the time to read most of this forum as I was curious if I could increase my flight time and performance by going to the 9" Phantom 2 props. As most people have seen on this forum, this is a large mix of pilots that experience no differences and some with extreme on the 9" props so I thought I won't know until I give it a try.
I actually purchased a F450 ARF kit with the new E300 system and used the 9" gray DJI props that came with the kit. They spun right on after balancing with no issues.
Was a little nervous at first during take off but I glad to report that the Phantom flew great with only one difference. As expected with wider props did give more lift so it would gradually rise at mid throttle stick where the 8" props held. Getting better at understanding the gains on this so all I did was decrease the vertical gain until I was able to get a steady hover at mid stick. Did the trick and flies faster and seems more stable with the new 9" props. I will back up other pilots that these props WILL increase your flight times. I went from 9 minutes on the 8" props (DJI Lipo landing at resting voltage of 3.78) to 11 min 30 seconds on the 9" props.
Again I can't guarantee your Phantom won't wig out like others report but you simply won't know unitl you give it a try.

9443 props
I've just got these props http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2912690144...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I know they're clones and have O-XOXO stamped on the blade, they're very flexible towards the tip and needed a little balancing (took 20 minutes to do)
not really test flying conditions today in the SW UK but you all know how it is, must get out and try these
rolleyes.gif

it was very gusty so I flew in the corner of my garden partly out of the strongest gust, I've read so much about lowering/raising the gains but I left the gains as were for my V 1.1.1, I had 2 flights using my cheapest lipos, zippy 2200mah, my phantom v1.1.1 AUW is 1223 gms
before using the standard 8" props with these lipos I was lucky to get 4.20 mins, (these lipos have never been very good) with the turnigy and phantom I've been getting around 6 mins,) today with the new 9443 props using the zippys the first flight was 6.37 min second flight was 6.59 mins, (that's over 2 mins extra with no gain change) bearing in mind that with the gusty conditions I couldn't keep it in a hover so using a bit more power from the lipo.
at no time did I feel the need to play with the gain settings as it flew just the same as the standard 8" props, maybe it's the extra flex at the tip of the props that helps to makes it fly steady??
so when it's calm again I'll use the zippys again to see what results I get, I wonder what time I'll get with my Giant Power 2800mah where I was getting 8 mins time,, maybe 10 mins?? (BTW the giant power lipos fit the V1.1.1 better than the turnigy/zippy 2200mah do except that the wires go in first)

Last edited:
9443 props
I've just got these props http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2912690144...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I know they're clones and have O-XOXO stamped on the blade, they're very flexible towards the tip and needed a little balancing (took 20 minutes to do)
not really test flying conditions today in the SW UK but you all know how it is, must get out and try these
rolleyes.gif

it was very gusty so I flew in the corner of my garden partly out of the strongest gust, I've read so much about lowering/raising the gains but I left the gains as were for my V 1.1.1, I had 2 flights using my cheapest lipos, zippy 2200mah, my phantom v1.1.1 AUW is 1223 gms
before using the standard 8" props with these lipos I was lucky to get 4.20 mins, (these lipos have never been very good) with the turnigy and phantom I've been getting around 6 mins,) today with the new 9443 props using the zippys the first flight was 6.37 min second flight was 6.59 mins, (that's over 2 mins extra with no gain change) bearing in mind that with the gusty conditions I couldn't keep it in a hover so using a bit more power from the lipo.
at no time did I feel the need to play with the gain settings as it flew just the same as the standard 8" props, maybe it's the extra flex at the tip of the props that helps to makes it fly steady??
so when it's calm again I'll use the zippys again to see what results I get, I wonder what time I'll get with my Giant Power 2800mah where I was getting 8 mins time,, maybe 10 mins?? (BTW the giant power lipos fit the V1.1.1 better than the turnigy/zippy 2200mah do except that the wires go in first)

Welcome to the party teccer,
My signature has a search link which you may like.

That's one heavy bird you've got. DJI says Max weight <1200 grams. No wonder you get such short flight times. What is your elevation above sea level?

There should be no gain adjustment needed.

The larger props should help, but the XOXO props perform very poorly compared to DJI props.

Welcome to the party teccer,
My signature has a search link which you may like.

That's one heavy bird you've got. DJI says Max weight <1200 grams. No wonder you get such short flight times. What is your elevation above sea level?

There should be no gain adjustment needed.

The larger props should help, but the XOXO props perform very poorly compared to DJI props.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ok I can see where your coming from but as I see it if I want to fly FPV I don't have any choice as I need my gimbal / boscam anti vibration plate/TX simple osd / (lipo power only showing) camera foxtech horyzon HD, (1/3rd the weight of a gopro), the only thing I could remove is the prop guards which I do not want to as I'm sure they have saved me a few new props on landing/tipping. I could remove the gimbal and go back to my static camera holder that would save me about 190-200 gms but the video quality would not be as good.

I've read about lots of other guys with AUW over the recommended weight and they just put up with it, so it's up to me now to decide what to do, one thing I don't like is on take-off it tips forwards and I have to give it over 1/2 TH to get it up in the air then I can lower the TH back to just below 1/2, ( I do know it tips forwards on take-off because the gimbal is not at COG) so I do actually give a slight back on the right stick for take-off, maybe raise the gains on the altitude a little?
my elevation above sea level is around 400 to 500 ft.
what difference do the DJI props make, or is this just sales talk, mine are 100% balanced now, on this forum I read it's not worth paying the extra for dji props when these are as good.
==========================================================================

just had a flight using my giant power 2800mah lipo and got 10 minutes before S/L, well pleased with that:D.............when I first had my phantom using the phantom lipo the quad absolutely stock the most I got was around 13-14 minutes so with all the attachments on it now 10 minutes is good enough for me.

Last edited:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ok I can see where your coming from but as I see it if I want to fly FPV I don't have any choice as I need my gimbal / boscam anti vibration plate/TX simple osd / (lipo power only showing) camera foxtech horyzon HD, (1/3rd the weight of a gopro), the only thing I could remove is the prop guards which I do not want to as I'm sure they have saved me a few new props on landing/tipping. I could remove the gimbal and go back to my static camera holder that would save me about 190-200 gms but the video quality would not be as good.

I've read about lots of other guys with AUW over the recommended weight and they just put up with it, so it's up to me now to decide what to do, one thing I don't like is on take-off it tips forwards and I have to give it over 1/2 TH to get it up in the air then I can lower the TH back to just below 1/2, ( I do know it tips forwards on take-off because the gimbal is not at COG) so I do actually give a slight back on the right stick for take-off, maybe raise the gains on the altitude a little?
my elevation above sea level is around 400 to 500 ft.
what difference do the DJI props make, or is this just sales talk, mine are 100% balanced now, on this forum I read it's not worth paying the extra for dji props when these are as good.
==========================================================================

just had a flight using my giant power 2800mah lipo and got 10 minutes before S/L, well pleased with that:D.............when I first had my phantom using the phantom lipo the quad absolutely stock the most I got was around 13-14 minutes so with all the attachments on it now 10 minutes is good enough for me.

I'm going to start at the end of your reply.
New batteries like to be used to 1/2 their capacity for the first 10 uses. Some folks say it makes them last longer.

You are virtually at Sea Level and your flight times at your Gross Weight sound about right.

I don't sell diddlie. It's not sales talk. I fly a heavy... not as heavy as yours, FC40 from elevations ranging from 4,500 to 8,000 feet. I've tried the props and tested some XOXO props. They are crap. It's almost all opinion here, and I have mine. My testing of props is not opinion, it's fact. The 9443 XOXO props I tested, performed slightly better than DJI 8050 props.

Yep, you've got your COG way forward... most folks do, including me. Quit fiddling around on takeoff. Goose it and get it away from the ground. I also add some back stick at liftoff.

What is AUW?

The items you describe do not add up to being overweight, at least in my mind.
I don't know why you have an anti vibe dampener if you are balancing your props... sounds redundant.
You could go with a lighter gimbal. Walkera has a plastic one out now, I don't think your camera will work with it, your camera sounds too light to keep the gimbal happy. Most gimbals I know of are designed around the size and weight of a GoPro.

If you like guards, keep them. If you must land, vs hand catch, then you need the guards.
I've removed mine and have added at least 1 minute to each flight. For quite some time, I ran into stuff and they were my best friend.

I have said this and I'll say it again. I have never been happy with the way my P1s takeoff in gps mode. The spinup of props is too slow leading to tip overs etc. I have all 3 of my P1s...S1 lower position set to manual. When I take off, I go to manual and props speed up quickly. Once in the air, I go back to gps. I wish I could have S1 set to failsafe but I have to make a choice.

I have said this and I'll say it again. I have never been happy with the way my P1s takeoff in gps mode. The spinup of props is too slow leading to tip overs etc. I have all 3 of my P1s...S1 lower position set to manual. When I take off, I go to manual and props speed up quickly. Once in the air, I go back to gps. I wish I could have S1 set to failsafe but I have to make a choice.

Well, it's my turn. I hate to have to ask this, but I just went through the entire manual in search of "MANUAL MODE" and I can't find a **** thing about it. I see it in the NAZA assistant but without having something to read about it, I'm a bit confused. Any leads?

Well, it's my turn. I hate to have to ask this, but I just went through the entire manual in search of "MANUAL MODE" and I can't find a **** thing about it. I see it in the NAZA assistant but without having something to read about it, I'm a bit confused. Any leads?
When in assistant and setting up S1 switch...Top is GPS...Middle is Atti...Bottom is Atti, Failsafe, or manual. If you put your cursor on the little arrow, a drop down window will appear.

When in assistant and setting up S1 switch...Top is GPS...Middle is Atti...Bottom is Atti, Failsafe, or manual. If you put your cursor on the little arrow, a drop down window will appear.
Yep saw that.
I always thought ATTI and MANUAL were the same thing???

Atti is everything without GPS. Manual..you are on your own. No GPS, NO Gyro, NO sh!t
Thank you sir. Sounds like flying a Hubsan X4. :eek:

[QUOTE="IflyinWY, post: 420523, member: 16597"

What is AUW?
all up weight

The items you describe do not add up to being overweight, at least in my mind.
I don't know why you have an anti vibe dampener if you are balancing your props... sounds redundant.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have to use the dampener because the control board for the gimbal is sandwiched between the 2 dampener plates, the weight of the gimbal + dampener is 213gms
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You could go with a lighter gimbal. Walkera has a plastic one out now, I don't think your camera will work with it, your camera sounds too light to keep the gimbal happy. Most gimbals I know of are designed around the size and weight of a GoPro.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
also I've read about the plastic gimbals not able to work with my light camera
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you like guards, keep them. If you must land, vs hand catch, then you need the guards.
I've removed mine and have added at least 1 minute to each flight. For quite some time, I ran into stuff and they were my best friend.[/QUOTE]

until now I have been hand catching unless it's very gusty then I land, I've had about 8-10 flights with my 9" (9443)props and as I've been testing the extra times I've been landing the quad but now I've sorted that out back to catching, my feelings on prop guards even though they do shorten flying time a bit I feel that they are an added safety measure, just in case :(

about my comment "sales talk" I was not meaning you all I meant was the usual comments about DJI extras.
anyway many thanks for all your input to my post
Cheers ray

Thanks for your reply Ray,

I guess my brain wasn't working very well yesterday, my gimbal has the same thing. :rolleyes:

See Yaa

Thanks for your reply Ray,

I guess my brain wasn't working very well yesterday, my gimbal has the same thing. :rolleyes:

See Yaa

just as a matter of my interest what is the weight including lipo of your phantom with gimbal + camera+ fpv TX etc, but thinking about it if you've got all that on a v2 then I understand that your motors are slightly more powerful, mine is stock v1.1.1 except for the 9" props
ray

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers