Phantom 1.1.1 with P2V props - Gain adjustment?

Reaction score
Hey guys... I know some of you have done this and, besides the increased noise, really like the flight time and flying characteristics of the P2V props (self tightening) on the P1 1.1.x. I have some on order, and B&H shipped them out today.

I have heard that the increased lift will cause the craft to have trouble hovering in place without adjustments to gain. Can anyone comment on this and make recommendations on what I should change in the Naza software?

Thanks!
Adam

I was going to ask the exact same question.

I have a Phantom 1, and also a Phantom 2 Vision.

Like you, I slapped the 9" Phantom 2 self-tightening props on the Phantom 1. It's definitely a lot perkier, and these props do change it's flight characteristics.

I heard a passing comment about someone lowering the gains after such a mod, but would love to hear anyone's advice. Honestly, it's alright as-is though, just a little different.

I'll play with the settings when mine comes in and see what works best. I'm looking forward to getting it.

Right now, I'm painting a new shell to make mine look a little different from the rest :)

i would also be interested in finding out if they work well and might need some adjustment thanks

chrisflyer said:
i would also be interested in finding out if they work well and might need some adjustment thanks

I can tell you already that they do work well. Like I said, the only thing different is they are a little peppier. That's why lowering the gains makes some sense, but it doesn't really matter - it does fly fine with no adjustments.

Oops. Well I ordered a 'set' from B&H which came in today. I forgot a 'set' is 2, one of each direction. So now I have to order another set and wait a week or two.

Whaddyado?! :eek:

dbcch said:
Like you, I slapped the 9" Phantom 2 self-tightening props on the Phantom 1. It's definitely a lot perkier, and these props do change it's flight characteristics.

That's interesting about the larger props being perkier. I thought I read that the increased flight times came at a cost of it being less responsive... *confused*

I have switched to vision style props, I have the eBay clones, original DJI and the carbon version. Everything flies fine with the standard original gains.

adam12hicks said:
I'll play with the settings when mine comes in and see what works best. I'm looking forward to getting it.

Right now, I'm painting a new shell to make mine look a little different from the rest :)

]Hi
I can understand to have a different looking Phantom. Unfortunately the new paint job will not last and the end result is a pitted sad looking Phantom camouflage ,commercial paints do not like plastic!
Please post a photo of your paint job.
Cheers
John

Yeah that's what I'm afraid of. We'll see how it goes. I'm sanding the surface, priming and painting with high quality paint. Hopefully the process will yield a better adhering paint.

FlyingFanta said:
dbcch said:

That's interesting about the larger props being perkier. I thought I read that the increased flight times came at a cost of it being less responsive... *confused*

I don't know, just my experience. Honestly, it makes sense to me - more lift means less power required, and at the same time the increased lift makes it perkier. It's all in how you fly though.

Ton4 said:
I have switched to vision style props, I have the eBay clones, original DJI and the carbon version. Everything flies fine with the standard original gains.
Can anyone tell me where I can buy these Vision Props, in the USA?? I need them to be Non-Self tightening, as I have a Phantom 1.2(all 4 prop nuts are silver-so all 4 props tighten the same way-so no nuts please).

It's Chinese New Years....so basically it will be about 2+ weeks before I ever see any of the Knock off Vision Props-so any help finding them more locally would be much appreciated.

EDIT; Just bought these; http://www.ebay.com/itm/291064304373
Can anyone give me any advise on what to expect after I balance and install these on my Phantom 1.2, as far as the different flight characteristics??? I don't like surprises-especially when it comes to how much I already have invested in my Phantom-so I don't want anything strange to happen while it's a 100 feet up in the air.

You are worrying too much.

Just be cautious when you go to fly it.

Unless you're doing stunts with your Phantom, the changes in flight characteristics aren't extreme enough to be unable to cope with.

All that said, my Phantom is way too 'springy', so I'll be lowering the gains some and report back.

dbcch said:
You are worrying too much.

Just be cautious when you go to fly it.

Unless you're doing stunts with your Phantom, the changes in flight characteristics aren't extreme enough to be unable to cope with.

All that said, my Phantom is way too 'springy', so I'll be lowering the gains some and report back.
Define Springy?
I have dual rates on my remote-so I can cut the gain at the flip of a switch....just wondering what to expect....?

Springy == it reacts fast and strong

So for example instead of gliding to the left, it jumps to the left, ..

dbcch said:
Springy == it reacts fast and strong

So for example instead of gliding to the left, it jumps to the left, ..
OK. So, if your sensivity was reduced to 50% and the maximum rate of travel was 90% instead of 100%(=125 in gain), it would be fine?
That's my 2nd setting for my controls-I haven't touched my gain.

I just experimented with lowering the roll, pitch, and yaw gains - also the attitude gains.

Lowering each 10-20% resulted in much improved flight characteristics, imho.

For instance, before, the roll or pitch would be too great, causing it to really struggle making turns. It worked harder, but didn't go as far.

Basically, by changing props w/o lowering them, it was constantly over-compensating, causing stability problems in-flight..

It's not rocket science, so don't over think it. Try for yourself and see what you like.

dbcch said:
I just experimented with lowering the roll, pitch, and yaw gains - also the attitude gains.

Lowering each 10-20% resulted in much improved flight characteristics, imho.

For instance, before, the roll or pitch would be too great, causing it to really struggle making turns. It worked harder, but didn't go as far.

It's not rocket science, so don't over think it. Try for yourself and see what you like.
OK, so you started with the gains at 125% and adjusted each down 10 to 20%(except throttle?).
It may not be Rocket Science-but for an old guy like me, ya never know. That's why I asked for specific numbers that people are using.

That worked for me.

Especially after lowering the ones on the second row (atti) it also improved flight stability.

Before, it kept over-compensating, causing lots of stability issues. It'd correct one way, but.. oops, too far.. then the other.. etc..

dbcch said:
That worked for me.

Especially after lowering the ones on the second row (atti) it also improved flight stability.

Before, it kept over-compensating, causing lots of stability issues. It'd correct one way, but.. oops, too far.. then the other.. etc..
You mean there's a 2nd set for Atti mode?
How does the aircraft do in GPS mode, if you just leave it alone? Also-is it safe to assume it will take-off, before you get to the half way point with the throttle?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik