Personal property ?

I'd like to muddy the waters a bit...and forgive my rant...it may seem off topic...but may make some sense...

Along with flying my drone, I'm a professional photographer and have been for the past 30+ years.

Do you have any idea how many people with cameras are out shooting jobs that 'should' belong to experienced professionals?

I see amateurs all the time shooting weddings, portraits, etc., without honestly fully knowing what they're doing, besides pushing the shutter button, and taking money for it.
They're not the least bit afraid, and should be. There's a lot that can go wrong, and a lot they're not prepared to handle.

I'm not saying you can't go to someone's wedding or event and take some good photos, and with today's technology. It's very easy to get a good quality photo, however, working to professional standards and charging money for it should mean that you will not just happen to catch a few good shots, but consistently deliver throughout the job nothing but first rate images.

Imagine someone setting up shop as a barber without a license...just a pair of clippers and a scissor...oh...I'll give it a try...I watched someone cut hair once...it'll grow back!

I have seen people with drones doing the same thing. I feel the FAA license is like door locks. Locks are for honest people. Those who are licensed should act accordingly. Those who are not will do as they please, regardless and not worry UNTIL they get told otherwise.

Sadly there's no way to stop it. People are driving without drivers' licenses, car insurance, vehicle inspections/registrations for a variety of reason as well, and until they get caught, they will continue to do so.

You make a lot of sense. The problem is some people are flat out against any rules/regulations even if they are for the betterment of the public.

Your "door locks" analogy is spot on.

Get ur real estate license. Also you can take pictures and movies of your own property without one. However if ur fearful of repercussions get a 107. I have talked to several people on this site and I'm starting to find it disturbing. There are people with their 107 ticket who have no idea of how air space around a airport works such as the upside down wedding cake Class C airspace. Flying an aircraft also requires green blinking lights on the left and red blinking lights on the right. It's an FAA law and because of that people need to fly their drones as such and never turn it where green is in back and red is in front. This provides other aircraft including airplanes the direction of the aircraft. There's so many rules that 107 Pilots wave in non 107 Pilot faces and not have a clue about flying in air space. That's why I suggest highly they should get their private pilot certificate before they can fly a drone. Until that is done the FAA will not focus on drones. I'm fearful for the day we're terrorists start using these drones as bombs Etc. It's a whole new world. But honestly I have not found one 107 ticket holder who knows anything about airspace. DRC PhD

I would not agree on your statement that you couldn’t find one part 107 ticket holder who knows airspace. There are high numbers of rated pilots, including myself, that have a part 107 license AND actually know the different airspace. Another comment was made that 107 operators should be PPL licensed at a minimum. When I got my PPL some 30 years ago it costed around $5000. Today that number is well over $10k. Would maybe a SLA certification be out of the ballpark, maybe not. A sport license only costa a fraction and still gives a good aeronautical knowledge level. Now if someone intends on flying under 107 more in-depth that taking pictures of a house for real-estate, that is where TOP level certifications come in. It covers more in-depth regulation and safety procedures. I paid $350 for my TOP level 1 and $1200 for level 2. There was a lot of information that was well worth the training. It’s the people that go out and buy a DJI spark drone for a $100 and decide to venture out taking pictures for their neighbor the real-estate agent because the agent can’t afford $75 for an actual licensed pilot. If the agent gets caught, they can get hefty fines along with the fake pilot. So until the people that hire Jimmy the kid next door with a Walmart drone starts getting convicted and fined like crazy, it’s only adding fuel to a danger fire. A DJI spark is unlikely to really hurt someone, but a Matrice 600 that can weigh up to 50# could actually kill someone or cause a manned aircraft to crash in a horrific accident. Only then will law makers take a more serious look at drones beyond the look and see approach currently in progress.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigAl07

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mattnn