Personal property ?

Reaction score
Hi all, can someone use their own aerial photography to help sell their personal property without a 107 ?

Hi all, can someone use their own aerial photography to help sell their personal property without a 107 ?
Why not?
Although there will probably be some hard liners who want to make out that it's commercial, what matters is the flying, not what the photo is ultimately used for.

You can not. If your photography is used to promote the sale of your property, that would be considered commercial and require a 107.

You can not. If your photography is used to promote the sale of your property, that would be considered commercial and require a 107.

Nothing it's your personal property, no one's paying you. 107 applies being paid for aerial shots. Drc phd

Reactions: Phill2
With the above comments, it's obviously nebulous as to the rules of flying drones. I've had the police department over because I was coming to land in my backyard so descending over the houses across the street over 100 ft agl. In notime the police joined me telling me im breaking the law. I asked which one? They replied they didnt know. The neighbor believes his property begins at the level of grass straight down to hell, and straight up to heaven, infinity. I was not bothering anyone and I continue to fly at 100 ft for my approach across the street. Here's my rules that I think are creepy and should be banned. Hovering over school playgrounds looking at children. Over sumner time public swimming pools on women in skimpy bikinis. Yet if I'm at the pool I can take all the pictures I want from my cam on android phone. So the caveat is over crowds must be avoided. What is considered a crowd. 10, 100, 1000 people. With drones rapidly filling the skies it's said less than half of them are registered with the faa. One person flies thru class c airspace over 6000ft. The answer, is all drone pilots should have at least a private pilots license, which will cost them several thousand dollars. A perspective then from a real pilots perspective would make them more prone to adhering to the rules. So they don't lose their expensive pilots license and no drone flying. On another note on airspace, party balloons can go up in a bundle to several thousand feet. I was on a approach into kgrr descending thru 5500 ft in a pilatus and getting vectored for the approach. I asked approach did the see the balloons on radar, they said no. At the speed I was moving running into those balloons could of killed my engine and a helium inspired fire on the aircraft. I missed the balloons by 50ft off my wingtip. I deviated at the last second thank God. Tcas will not pick it up. Let's not focus on part 107 and money. Just make the process more difficult and respected. Drc phd

But it’s associated with selling the property...

Get ur real estate license. Also you can take pictures and movies of your own property without one. However if ur fearful of repercussions get a 107. I have talked to several people on this site and I'm starting to find it disturbing. There are people with their 107 ticket who have no idea of how air space around a airport works such as the upside down wedding cake Class C airspace. Flying an aircraft also requires green blinking lights on the left and red blinking lights on the right. It's an FAA law and because of that people need to fly their drones as such and never turn it where green is in back and red is in front. This provides other aircraft including airplanes the direction of the aircraft. There's so many rules that 107 Pilots wave in non 107 Pilot faces and not have a clue about flying in air space. That's why I suggest highly they should get their private pilot certificate before they can fly a drone. Until that is done the FAA will not focus on drones. I'm fearful for the day we're terrorists start using these drones as bombs Etc. It's a whole new world. But honestly I have not found one 107 ticket holder who knows anything about airspace. DRC PhD

Why not?
Although there will probably be some hard liners who want to make out that it's commercial, what matters is the flying, not what the photo is ultimately used for.
I believe that commercial requires being paid for the service

It never ceases to amaze me how much opinion you get in these forums. And so little fact. Like much of social media, it appears to be deteriorating into an Insult-o-Rama. That is sad.

REVENUE - You show any type of profit whatsoever, any revenue actually, profitable or not, and the photography must be done by a UAV licensed pilot. It is really simple. I’ve seen fools on Craig’s list say things like, “I’m not charging for the flying and drone work, only for the picture”. Now, the odds of getting caught? Low. Penalties if you get caught? High. Kind of what I told my kids when they were just starting to drive in regards to drinking and driving. Getting away with something a hundred times won’t matter the first time you don’t.

I just love the realtors too. First ones to disregard a license for drone photography. Also first ones to raise Cain if you tried selling a home without the proper licensing.

Slamming UAV Licensed Pilots “Just those damned asswipes that spent money to get their licenses.” Yep. I have a UAV License, I only spent a few hundred, not thousands, but still. And I am a licensed auctioneer too. So if I see you out there passing yourself off as a pilot or an auctioneer, I will drop a dime on you in a minute. Absolutely. Fools who don’t have a clue of what we are allowed to do or not do or who choose to ignore rules much less common sense hurt the entire community.

Flying over people/crowds. According to the FAA, flying over a person means a cylinder extending vertically over their person to an unspecified height. If they spread their arms out, the cylinder just got wider. Watch yourself on this one. The webinar I watched had a link to some pretty gruesome pics of UAV/human interactions.

Lights on UAV, green and red? Aircraft and boats all are required to have directional lights. They indicate the direction of travel to other vessels in the area. But if you know and understand just a little. And admit, as I do right here and now, that I sure don’t know everything, But Drone’s are legally not allowed to be flown over 400 ft agl. Airplanes are not allowed to be flown below 500 ft agl in populated areas. So I don’t see how trying to confuse aircraft directional lights with drone LED lights and say that they are not being used properly as a way of justifying disregarding other laws makes sense. And since legal flight time is over a half hour after sunset, it would never be an issue for a lawfully operated drone.

Sorry if I misunderstood someone else’s meanings. I’m not trying to be a keyboard hero. But I am frustrated by seeing our opportunities to fly being more restricted every day. The press and the law enforcement authorities are down on drones and it will get worse. And you all see how just a few childish, immature or selfish people can bring the heat down on all of us. Is it really worth it? Does your ego need massaging that much?

There are a lot of areas to be considered and dealt with in regards to UAV laws in the near future. And you can be sure that every single incident where you have a drone flying next to an aircraft on final at a major airport or flying around crowded stadiums will be used to justify more and more restrictions. The public will be whipped into a frenzy. And we all run the risk of having a closet full of expensive equipment we can’t use anymore.

The law is simple. Is the intent of the flight purely recreational? If you took some photos of your home previously while flying recreationally then yes - you can use them. If you want to fly specifically to take photos of your home to help to sell it then no - that's not recreational, and requires a Part 107.

How on earth can those two situations be distinguished, especially with regard to when you took them and your intent at that time? Well that's really difficult, since you can always claim it was the former, and so for one-off events of this kind you can almost certainly claim to be within the law. However, if you want a realtor to use the photos then they might not be comfortable doing so.

LOL "OP" Just go to "Google Earth" and screen capture all the pictures aerial over head pictures that you want......sure its only at the time the satellite did it...and IF you want to go to "street View" and screen capture any house that you want to from any angle on the street too.

With the above comments, it's obviously nebulous as to the rules of flying drones. I've had the police department over because I was coming to land in my backyard so descending over the houses across the street over 100 ft agl. In notime the police joined me telling me im breaking the law. I asked which one? They replied they didnt know. The neighbor believes his property begins at the level of grass straight down to hell, and straight up to heaven, infinity. I was not bothering anyone and I continue to fly at 100 ft for my approach across the street. Here's my rules that I think are creepy and should be banned. Hovering over school playgrounds looking at children. Over sumner time public swimming pools on women in skimpy bikinis. Yet if I'm at the pool I can take all the pictures I want from my cam on android phone. So the caveat is over crowds must be avoided. What is considered a crowd. 10, 100, 1000 people. With drones rapidly filling the skies it's said less than half of them are registered with the faa. One person flies thru class c airspace over 6000ft. The answer, is all drone pilots should have at least a private pilots license, which will cost them several thousand dollars. A perspective then from a real pilots perspective would make them more prone to adhering to the rules. So they don't lose their expensive pilots license and no drone flying. On another note on airspace, party balloons can go up in a bundle to several thousand feet. I was on a approach into kgrr descending thru 5500 ft in a pilatus and getting vectored for the approach. I asked approach did the see the balloons on radar, they said no. At the speed I was moving running into those balloons could of killed my engine and a helium inspired fire on the aircraft. I missed the balloons by 50ft off my wingtip. I deviated at the last second thank God. Tcas will not pick it up. Let's not focus on part 107 and money. Just make the process more difficult and respected. Drc phd

The local cops will always be right. In their own minds. And polite disagreement is one thing. But remember, if you are flying a drone you represent all of us in some way.

But the ONLY authority over national airspace is the FAA period. I should have made a note on this but there was a decision rendered a year or two back in one of the northeast states. A local government decided since regulations prohibit flying drones OVER 400 ft AGL that they would prohibit flights UNDER 400 ft, thereby banning all flights. They were shot down on appeal. Because local authorities cannot pass laws pertaining to national airspace. If anyone has the details in that case, please post it here.

Thanks everyone for your responses, kind of a touchy subject. (lol) . sar104's post cleared some cobwebs out, as l now remember some of the old conversations touching on this area, It's all about the intent at the time of the flight. That being said, one could break out some old footage from the archives, and should be good to go ? Keep yur eyes on the skies flyers !!

When you say “help sell” to the extent that means taking images to suppy to the agent for marketing purposes that would seem to fall squarely within the FAA definition of commercial. An argument the intent was not for commercial purposes would probably prove weak for any images shot after the agent was engaged.

On this matter I have a question. Let me first state I'm in Canada so 107 isnt a law here but, I'm strictly a recreational pilot. Recently a friend asked me if I could shoot some promotional footage of property he bought to turn into a campground. I'm happy to help, at no charge since I dont believe I could legally charge anyway. But would free footage I provide him for promotional use on his own behalf be allowed?

On this matter I have a question. Let me first state I'm in Canada so 107 isnt a law here but, I'm strictly a recreational pilot. Recently a friend asked me if I could shoot some promotional footage of property he bought to turn into a campground. I'm happy to help, at no charge since I dont believe I could legally charge anyway. But would free footage I provide him for promotional use on his own behalf be allowed?
Probably- to the extent it could be argued the nature of the flight falls within “work or research”. You could probably find out under five minutes. The transport Canada website seems pretty good.

Reactions: 3rdof5

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj