Part 107 waiver info needed

Reaction score
Hey guys, are waivers granted for a particular purpose or project, or can I just seek a blanket waiver for various commercial operations? How long is the process? Can I file it myself, or do I need an attorney? Any other advice or info? Thanks.

I've got a part 107 certificate as of last week. Most of my downtown is in class D airspace, and so I didn't know the best way to be able to conduct operations there. Do I need CT clearance for each flight, or can I get a blanket exemption? That was the thrust of my question.

For class D airspace, you will have to go through the webpage waiver/authorization process. You can request a certain location with a radius around it that should cover most if not all of a downtown location. Going to take some time. For the class D airspace, does it go to the ground in town? If not, youre good if you stay below the floor. If it does, then you will need the waiver. You can request it for some period of time. My first authorization was for 3 months, then requested a waiver to cover the same area for up to 2 years. Under the terms, I still had to notify the appropriate air traffic control before flying there.

Reactions: Nickster
I've changed the title of the thread to be more accurate and removed reference to 333 Exemption

I have an approved daylight waiver to fly at night good for 2 years, and I applied for an airspace waiver for a local Class D airport asking for 2 years as well. The city I live in just released a UAS facility map for the airport in question, so I anticipate an answer any day now.

The night waiver took every bit of 90 days, and I'm going on at least 60 days for the airspace waiver.

You can go here: ArcGIS Web Application

See if the airport you are looking for a waiver for has an altitude map created for it. If so, approvals are supposed to be pretty quick (I've heard as short as 30 days). Best to ask for the max of 2 years...if they don't like it, they will shorten it. I've heard from a few people that have waivers they place other requirements on it and might require a call to the tower for each flight, but it will depend completely on the airport.

Last edited:
There is a difference between Airspace Authorization and Airspace Waiver and they handled be two different depts within the FAA. Airspace Waivers require more justification. See this link - Waiver Safety Explanation Guidelines for Part 107 Waiver Applications

Airspace Authorizations require less justification and are usually approved quicker, but are only good for 6 months. Go to my original post above for how to get an Authorization...NOT a Waiver.

Once the new LAANC system becomes active the current process for obtaining authorizations and waivers should become obsolete. Next couple of years, fingers crossed within the next year.
Coming This Fall: Automated Airspace Authorization at U.S. Airports - AirMap

Do I need CT clearance for each flight, or can I get a blanket exemption?
You won't know if you have to contact the Control Tower before each flight until you receive the actual authorization. The Provisions section of the Airspace Authorization FAA Form 7711 will let you know if you need to notify the tower each time or not. Go to this link to see how to file for an Authorization..NOT a Waiver. If you file the way I indicate at this thread you can get the entire Class D minus an inner no fly zone near the runway/final environment.
Part 107? Here's how to file for Airspace Authorizations

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl