P4P video glitch and green screen using I-Pad Mini

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a P4P with very few flights on it. I got her our of the case yesterday to do a photo shoot this morning, and after updating firmware and the DJI Go app, I dound the aircraft virtually unusable. It flies fine, but the video on the Ipad mini was freezing up, going to a full green screen, and generally not usable. Very frustrating. Tried goggles instead and video was better but had so much latency I could not do the shoot with them either.
I put it away and used my Mavic for the shoot.

I know this issue was posted back in 2017, but I read all those threads and tried the suggestions with no improvement.

Here is some info:
Latest DJI firmware on P4P and goggles
Most recent update on DJIGo app on Ipad mini
I-pad MIni 4 is a dedicated device, only a few apps loaded (114 GB of 128 GB available)
No other apps running at the time
Tried with and without Airplane mode (no difference)
Turned off video caching - no improvement
Video recording at 1080/60.
Image transmission set to Auto, but tried custom with no difference (at lowest setting)
Tried 3 different flying locations with no discernable difference (magnetic interference is possible as it's an urban environment, but odds are low. These are places I have flown before, and also my Mavic works fine there)
I am a Litchi user, but have not tried it yet for this issue.

Is the Go app just too much for the Ipad mini? I heard some say this but did not see a final result.

iPad mini 4 should be good enough for the purpose.

Did you clear the iPad cache through Go4 app?
Play with hardware decoding setting.
Disable cache during video shooting.
Set at least 2GB video cache using Go app.
Check Clear cache automatically.
Clear Video cache.

iPad mini 4 should be good enough for the purpose.

Did you clear the iPad cache through Go4 app?
Play with hardware decoding setting.
Disable cache during video shooting.
Set at least 2GB video cache using Go app.
Check Clear cache automatically.
Clear Video cache.

Thanks for the tips. I disabled the video caching during shooting, but have not done any of the others. I will check those out.

Sorry to say I tried all the above with no change in results.
I found this thread with others having the same issue with other versions of iPad. "Hardware Decoding" option is gone?
Seems that iPhones don’t have the problem because they have a better chip? No help from DJI that I have seen

Hi, I have been having this problem for over a year now with my P4, and no firmware update seems to fix it.
Is it a specific DJI App issue? Has anyone who suffers this had more luck with Litchi?

I wish there was a fix because it really distracts from flying, especially on a commercial job. :(

FWIW, I bought an iPad Mini 4 exclusively for the P4P, but it doesn't have the CPU to run the newest DJI FW, so I've switched to using an iPad 10.5, and an iPhone X. Even with the cache cleared, and the mini set not to cache video, I still get green screens, and black outs. I'm done with iPad Mini 4.

Reactions: ravedog
Update (sorry, should have updated a while back). After my post above in February, I realized that I was in the sun and thought the Ipad Mini might have been suffering from heat. I did a few tests in the days after and found that it worked fine if I keep it cool. If I laid it in the sun for a few minutes before flying, the problem re-appeared. I have disabled video caching, cleared the video cache, and no other apps running. Personally I think the chip is taxed to its limit with DJI Go and being too worm puts it over the top. Hope I can keep it out of the sun going forward.

Personally I think the chip is taxed to its limit with DJI Go and being too worm puts it over the top. Hope I can keep it out of the sun going forward.

Agreed. What I've personally noticed in the past with several different marginal devices is, if their processor gets overtaxed by the Go/Go4 app as often happens, they tend to overheat. Once that happens, device performance and stability suffers and you'll get the all too familiar video feed freezing/lagging/tearing/color bars. What it appears you've done is to indirectly simulate that type of situation. If you can keep the device cool, you may be able to keep it stable enough to avoid the video feed issues. Sometimes, just removing it from its case or protector is enough to reduce the thermal overload. Often, though, that's not a practical solution.

Been struggling with this from day 1. Bought an IPad mini 4 just for this use and having the same issues. I do this for a living so this is not acceptable. Has anyone switched to Litchi? If so, does this eliminate the issues? The is my third DJI drone....and my last. A story for another thread. Fly Well My Friends

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.