P4P v2 Fly away today

I am sorry, but one more comment. "I could have fixed the problem "in flight" by disabling the VPS sensors". That is a good point. I didn't know that was the cause, although it had crossed my mind, but I always thought of that as a pre-flight thing. You are right of course, should have done that mid flight. Didn't think of that. Good feedback

So, this takes me back to why the downward looking sensors thought it was almost on the ground? Why did it start climbing when, while it was out to sea, all I did, as usual, is hit RTH?

Your saying there was an obstruction to the downward looking sensors. This makes sense to me. Lets say they "saw" the bait dropper. In flight I guess it would think it was too close to the ground and so in P-GPS mode starts climbing? Trying to RTH would have the same problem then?
Sorry ... the spreadsheet has 10000 lines of data so I didn't examine everything and stopped when I thought I had enough to explain the issue.
Looking further, I see the VPS was giving incorrect data intermittently until about 10:59, possibly related to the pitch of the aircraft which would mean the sensors were not pointing down vertically and might "see" the obstruction of the bait dropper.
I see an uncommanded climb at 11:13 and while it's hard to explain, it's a reasonable assumption that this is related to the VPS readings.
I'd suggest removing the obstruction to VPS and doing a test flight to confirm that everything else is as it should be.
I suspect it will be.

Obstacle avoidance messages could be triggered by flying towards a low, bright sun.
These come from the forward looking sensors.

But still should have been able to bring it home in ATTI mode.
The intermittent VPS issue was still there in atti mode and preventing descent when it was giving falase altitude readings.

What I want to do is to NOT have to turn off the security features of the drone just to be able to use a bait dropper. That seems unreasonable to me. I don't think the downward looking sensors have a sufficiently wide angle view to see something under the camera, reading the specs. And it has worked over and over. But I am still suspicious that is the cause.
The downward facing sensors aren't really much use, I wouldn't consider them a security feature.
The drone is not always level in flight.
Is bait dropper rigid or does it move?
It could be that when it tilts or rolls that the sensors can "see" it.
Sorry, while you are being so indulgent, would you say my iPad is underpowered, or am I misinterpreting that? Can fly these without any ipad/iphone/android device anyway, so doesn't feel like the iPad can cause problems, yet the error messages about cache full, and the other one about the mobile device, seems point to my ipad.......
Those messages are just letting you know that it has no more room in its cache.
You could clear the cache and/or adjust the settings to stop filling the cache with

Reactions: RodPad
Thank you very much. Yes, my first spreadsheet and it was a big one! The bait dropper is fixed, doesn't move. I have done a few more test flights since then, over shorter distances and over land, with the bait dropper on, and they were all perfect. The design of it is such I can still move it slightly back and still keep the centre of gravity very close the the centre, so I will do that and test it again in the same location and conditions, more or less, as last time, perhaps without the sunset, but sensors still on. I have tested this so much without issue that I am about ready to think flying towards the bright low sun could have triggered it. However, it was flying away from the sun until it overshot and then towards a bright setting sun in trying to go home. I think I'll have to leave this to "clean the sensors, make sure the bait dropper is positioned properley, and test it again". It is a difficult problem to reproduce. Thank you and to all who contributed to working through this, I have learned a lot from the process. Many Thanks

Reactions: RodPad
test it again in the same location and conditions, more or less, as last time, perhaps without the sunset, but sensors still on. I have tested this so much without issue that I am about ready to think flying towards the bright low sun could have triggered it. However, it was flying away from the sun until it overshot and then towards a bright setting sun in trying to go home.
If the sun had any effect it was only on the front sensors and no effect at all on the VPS sensors and the failing to descend problem.

Hi Rod,

Sorry,you have lost me if that was directed at me. This is what happened and I just excruciatingly picked the data out of the flight records, which to be honest, if not for this forum, I didn't know I could do. Fact or Fiction??
Yes, it was directed at U. :)
You weren't giving us any facts, just drama(Fiction). ;)

I finally succeeded. :cool:

Rod

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic