P4P v1 Gimbal Overload

Reaction score
I've got a problem lol.... Took my P4P v1 out for what was supposed to be just a short relaxing flight around the backyard but boy was I wrong. Before I could even get airborn I got an error in DJIGO4 reading 'gimbal overload' everything still seemed to be working as it should (still had full control of the gimbal and all camera functions) so I proceeded to takeoff. I climbed to about 100ft and I noticed something wasn't right. The camera had a noticeably bad side to side wiggle that was getting progressively worse. I landed to investigate further, not sure exactly what but its definitely a significant problem. I've NEVER crashed my bird or even come close, never even so much as a hard landing. My bird has led a very charmed life as a well taken care of pampered princess lol. Maybe not quite a princess but you get the picture. I took it inside and connected to my desktop and DJI assistant 2 and tried a gimbal calibration which didn't fix it so that brings me here fingers crossed its not something too serious lol. Has anyone else had this issue or know where I should even start in terms of troubleshooting? Any help is always greatly appreciated....
Thanks

Jody

Interesting... I just had the same experience with my P4P v1. I was flying sideways against a strong headwind, and suddenly the camera flopped to one side, and I started getting 'Gimbal motor overloaded' error messages. Now any video I shoot is unusable with the drone in motion. With the drone powered on, the gimbal can easily be pushed to on side but not the other, and when pushed to the floppy side, it oscillates several times before settling down to straight ahead.

I was pretty sure this requires repairs. Most likely, the gimbal yaw motor needs replacing, but I still have an active Care Refresh policy. Initially I got a standard message from DJI saying that repairs are on hold, but when I contacted Customer Care and politely pointed out that I had a Care Refresh policy, they immediately emailed me a prepaid UPS shipping label. About an hour ago I dropped off the P4P at the local UPS store for the long drive to Cali.

hqdefault.jpg

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Mine behaved a little differently, in that it didn't shake like yours. If you pushed to the left, it would flop to the left, then re-center with a couple of damped oscillations.

In any event, it was received by DJI Service in Cerritos on Thursday last week, 6 days after I dropped it off at UPS. Monday this week, they decided to replace the whole thing with a brand new P4P, which will be delivered to my house in New England tomorrow, Friday. That's exactly 2 weeks including coast-to-coast shipping both ways, during a pandemic. I must say, at least with regards to my own experience with DJI service, this is the usual. I'm running 3 for 3 in perfect customer service over 3 years. Can't go wrong with that.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic