P4P Tablet of choice....Do you still need GPS?

Reaction score
One of the features of the P4P different from the P4 is the "Follow Me", which now uses sensors from the drone, rather than a GPS signal for the feature to work. This begs the question, "is the tablet/phone GPS still needed or in what way is it utilized with the P4P.

I'm about the pull the trigger on the P4P, and am considering an Ipad mini 4, for the P4P with Wi-fi + Cellular is an option....But do i need it ?

Are the any features on this new model that specifically benefit from the GPS, or is Wi-fi only, all i need ?

You will need GPS on your mobile device if you want to use the Follow Me feature or be able to reset the home point to the mobile device's current location after taking off. If you don't need to use those features, then there will be no benefit to using a mobile device with a GPS receiver.

You will need GPS on your mobile device if you want to use the Follow Me feature or be able to reset the home point to the mobile device's current location after taking off. If you don't need to use those features, then there will be no benefit to using a mobile device with a GPS receiver.
Didn't DJI say the P4P now uses 'sensors' to track the individual ( ActiveTrack)..and not GPS?...I'm confused about this feature, change from the P4 to P4P.
Top DJI Phantom 4 Pro Intelligent Flight Modes Reviewed

Didn't DJI say the P4P now uses 'sensors' to track the individual..and not GPS?
It sounds like you're referring to the ActiveTrack flight mode.

Follow Me and ActiveTrack are different flight modes. ActiveTrack does not use GPS for tracking.

Follow Me and ActiveTrack are different flight modes. ActiveTrack does not use GPS for tracking.

[" You will need GPS on your mobile device if you want to use the Follow Me"]
Do you have a resource for this claim ?

If you are correct...then the P4P+ DJI 5 inch Display that comes with the plus model...must have GPS????

Reactions: Gcampo
Per the P4P manual:

"Note that Follow Me performance is subject to the GPS accuracy on the mobile device."

Yes, that's what it reads....but has it changed the function for P4P/P4P+ and DJI is just not telling ?

Unfortunately, DJI has that statement as a 'note', in their manual...and make no distinctions for the P4P that this "Follow Me" function even exists in the app.
Its simpy referred to as 'Active Track"....i believe DJI has removed that function only on the P4P or P4P+ and have not addressed the 'NOTE' in their manual. Still researching.

I'm telling you how it works from my own personal experience since I own both a P4 and P4P. I only referenced the manual since you requested some kind of proof.

Reactions: KevMo Photog
I dont think you do need GPS for the follow me to function for P4P/P4P+.
Here is the quote from the manual:

ActiveTrack Intelligent Mode

QUOTE ["This Phantom 4 Pro ActiveTrack intelligent mode allows you to mark and track a moving object on your mobile device screen. It’s the new "Follow Me technology]"UNQUOTE

They have yet to fix the notes in the manual as it applies to P4/P4P/P4P+

Thanks for your posts, it spurred me to go find out....and I am all but convinced its not necessary for that function. DJI just wont say so.

As I stated above, GPS is only required if you want to use the "Follow Me" flight mode. It's not required for the "ActiveTrack" flight mode.

NOT TRUE!..That feature is not offically supported with the P4P or P4P+

ActiveTrack Intelligent Mode

QUOTE ["This Phantom 4 Pro ActiveTrack intelligent mode allows you to mark and track a moving object on your mobile device screen. It’s the new "Follow Me technology]"UNQUOTE

So if its no longer an officially supported mode, it is a legacy function that will eventually be phased out or ignored on the newer models. IE NEW "FOLLOW ME" TECHNOLOGY.

Last edited:
It is true...I'm not faulting your post...it is in agreement with their manual. I'm saying DJI needs to fix the notes and inform people they no longer need a GPS capable tablet for that particular function on P4P or P4P+.

If the P4P says "Follow Me" in the DJI GO App...it should be changed to "Active Track"...because it IS NOT A SEPARATE FUNCTION, as the quote suggests,...it is a NEW FOLLOW ME Technology called "Active Track.

You'll eventually catch up to this.

it IS NOT A SEPARATE FUNCTION
It is in fact a separate function. I guess you'll see first hand what I'm saying when you eventually get a P4P.

Go and try and find ANY reference to 'FOLLOW ME' in the PRO or PRO+ Manual. There is none.
And all you get is that "note" about tablets. And the term NEW TECHNOLOGY means exactly that. As 'follow me" goes its is a legacy of previous models. The manual only supports the term Active Track as that function. The "note", which i believe was only intended for the P4 or P3...DOES NOT APPLY.

Have you ever turned off your GPS on your own phone (since you own a P4P) and tested this theory?
To see if the Follow me works without Active track being on, and with and without GPS on?

ActiveTrack is a flight mode. It's not a setting in DJI GO. It's not possible to use the ActiveTrack flight mode while using Follow Me (or vice versa).

Yeah...i think that's a reasonable assumption. We've established AT is a flight mode.

Where do you "select" the "follow me" (does it say "follow me") function to enable it on the P4P ?

I'm dealing with the original DJI Vision, and do not have the DJI GO app for P4P available.

You cannot use DJI Vision to fly a P4P. You'll need to install DJI GO 4. The flight mode can be switched from the icon on the left side of DJI GO.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic