P4P Speed restriction?

Reaction score
I just received my slightly used P4P this past week. Prior to this I had a P3P so there are some things that I'm learning about the new features.

One item that I've not been able to figure out is what seems like a speed control when in "P" mode. I took it out this past weekend and the max it would do was around 11mph. If I went into Sport mode then it would really take off, but it was severely restrained in P mode.

Any ideas?

P mode will have a reduced speed so that obstacle avoidance can do its job, but 11 mph is not in the ballpark of what it should do in Position mode.
Spec says max is
31 mph in P
45 mph in S
36 mph in A

OK thanks, I'll check with different wind conditions and see if the opposite direction gets me any better. I thought I was in a low wind area and really didn't notice much difference with direction changes, but worth a re-check.

I have similar concerns about my new P4A. Coming off of a p3A that would reliably fly as fast as 40 to 41 MPH, I fully expected that my p4A would easily top that. Considering my p3A did not have a sport mode, as nice and as stable as the p4A flies (not to mention the much improved gimbal and camera), I have to say the flight experience itself is just watered down. Is it indeed governed by DJI? The weight to power ratio with factory props of this quad should yield speeds in the 50+ mph range in sport mode and with OAV turned off, according to my rough calculations. 58 MPH to be exact. Why does DJI feel the need to mother us and limit how fast we fly - even in sport mode? I don't like the trend I am seeing with DJI that seems to be we will bring you more technology and with that comes more limitations and less freedom. I yearn for an American company to come up with a quad as easy to fly as the Phantom, with as good or better a camera and gimbal and instead of computer limiting it's speed based on some unknown reason if we wanted to hurl across the sky at 80 MPH to have a little fun we would do so. Why? Because it was able and we could and it is fun. Apparently the Chinese don't share in those culture traits. It's too bad. It CAN fly faster and they need to remove these speed governors from their software. Who are they protecting? Frankly, let me worry about protecting myself and let me be accountable for how I fly - especially after I drop over $1,000 on a bird like this. FPV racers are 1/2 or less the cost and I am not implying that DJI try to make the Phantom an FPV racer, but what harm would be done to let pilots fly as they see safely fit. Maybe DJI is working behind the scenes with Diane Feinstein on implementing a UAV speed limit in the sky of 45 MPH. Wouldn't surprise me one bit. I rue the day that our US Congress decides to screw this all up by legislating the hobby directly into the grave. DJI, set my Phantom free! Btw, from my calculations the Spark is NOT speed governed, so why the Phantom? I haven't checked numbers on the Inspire but if anyone has any insight on this it sure would be interesting to hear.

I have similar concerns about my new P4A. Coming off of a p3A that would reliably fly as fast as 40 to 41 MPH, I fully expected that my p4A would easily top that.
Your P3 would fly at 35 mph +/- the effects of any wind. Your P4 should be able to match that in P-GPS or reach 45 mph in Sport Mode.
Why does DJI feel the need to mother us and limit how fast we fly - even in sport mode?
Probably because the Phantom isn't made as a racing drone, it's a quality flying camera.
DJI have performed a juggling act balancing battery life, safe flying and photographic needs and come up with something that suits most users and is likely to make it home each flight.
If speed is your main requirement, there are other options that might suit you better.

I yearn for an American company to come up with a quad as easy to fly as the Phantom, with as good or better a camera and gimbal
You might be waiting a long time for that.
And it doesn't matter what country makes the drone, the designers are always going to work to provide what will appeal to the most customers in their market segment so even if you get most of your wish, it still probably won't fulfil all your hopes.
I haven't checked numbers on the Inspire but if anyone has any insight on this it sure would be interesting to hear.
Inspire 2 Max Speed 58 mph or 94 kph(Sport mode)

You might be waiting a long time for that.
And it doesn't matter what country makes the drone, the designers are always going to work to provide what will appeal to the most customers in their market segment so even if you get most of your wish, it still probably won't fulfil all your hopes.
It may not matter to you, but if given the option to purchase a product both designed and built here in the US - I would pay more to have one - even if the product were equivalent. There was a company called TEAL - some kid out of Utah and I haven't heard what happened with him or his company, but it ism certainly tough to break through the near monopoly that DJI has in the UAV market. I love my Phantoms and my Spark, but there is no good reason for the vast majority of quality UAV's to come from China. Besides, competition is always good for the consumer in the final analysis. Anyway, no regrets here....just wishing out loud.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic