P4P Shutter Speed Indicator Turns Red on DJI GO Screen - What does it indicate?

Reaction score
What does it mean when the shutter speed indicator turns red as at the top of the attached photo (1/80)? Settings are set to shutter priority and I can change the shutter setting and the indicator turns white again. But what is it telling us when it turns red? It sometimes also changes colors when the scene's lighting changes. Appreciate anyone's insight.

DJI GO Screenshot.png

To my knowledge the red is ready to record video when pressed,the small white cam button with arrow above that red circle will change mode back to photo,its just indercating that recording instead of photo ,,
Screenshot_20200814-081724_Chrome.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: dronesky
To my knowledge the red is ready to record video when pressed,the small white cam button with arrow above that red circle will change mode back to photo,its just indercating that recording instead of photo ,,

Thanks, but I'm asking about the red shutter speed highlighted on the photo below. Red usually means warning. What is it warning us of - too fast, too slow?

InkedDJI GO Screenshot_marked.jpg

Ah sorry misunderstood,,,you set on manual or auto,,have you tryed changing fps,,sd card ok,you have done something in your cam settings for it to be red,,try 1080 at 60 fps

In your case it's warning you of massive "over exposure" as the 1/80 shutter speed is too slow to match the 3200 iso and F2.8 aperture.
If you increase the shutter speed this should reduce the over exposure

Reactions: BigAl07
In your case it's warning you of massive "over exposure" as the 1/80 shutter speed is too slow to match the 3200 iso and F2.8 aperture.
If you increase the shutter speed this should reduce the over exposure

Thanks, Iannes. I use shutter priority when shooting video - the double the fps rule: 30 fps = 1/60 shutter to achieve cinematic motion smoothness. Does it have to be precisely double? Do you know the effect of setting an even faster shutter, say 1/90 or 1/120 with a 30 fps? I suppose I could test it.

Shooting with higher shutter speeds reduces motion blur and creates sharper images. This is a much debated matter of taste. My personal opinion is that for most drone footage higher shutter speed is better, as strobing is rarely an issue with the speeds and distances involved rarely produce it. On the other hand, the clarity of super sharp images produced by higher shutter speeds enhances the drone imGe presentation, especially at 4K resolution.

Your opinions may vary.

As David_ said too much importance is put into so called 'cinematic' mode. As such it is important for movies on a big screen not for the video we used it for. My personal view is going to more sharp pictures thus to shorter shutter speed.
The red appears to warn you that the exposition is not within the normal ranges for the environment which you are filming.
If you switch to the aperture priority then the red coloured numbers will appear at the aperture values.
I prefer auto mode so it is not necessary to manually adjust the setting each time the screen becomes too bright or too dark. During the flight you have too much parameters to follow and too much inputs to to do so usually there is no time to bother with the aperture and exp.time. If somebody can do that then he or she has really outstanding capabilities.

See post #3 on the DJI Forum:

I appreciate the feedback. As practiced by Andy9 above, I'm going back to auto everything exposure settings - particularly for the mostly industrial shooting I do where clients don't know from cinematic EFX.

I have pretty decent luck with iso as low as it goes, aperture as low as it go and leaving the auto adjust the shutter.
When I let the aperture do the auto adjustment I see more of a jump in over all contrast from time to time. Especially when shooting a subject like with all ground background then flying up and getting the sky as a background.
For what it’s worth...

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic