P4p remote controller battery

Reaction score
I haven't flown in two months. I was shocked to have my rc beeping at me that the battery was down to 6% when I turned everything on today. It's charging back up just fine but I'm still surprised over it. I left it at around 30% two months ago. Does the rc have an auto discharge like the drone batteries? Does the one push power button reset a timer like the drone batteries? Conversely, I haven't flown my p3a in a year and that rc has plenty of charge still on it. Weird...

Yeah more weirdness. It quits charging at 2 flashing lights. Not sure what up.

Can a needed firmware update on the rc stop it from charging?

Reactions: Astrix
I think its a dead battery. Sending it in to drone nerds, where I bought it last year. 150 to fix it.

Keep charging the battery, hope it recovers. You left the battery at 30% charge and due to its internal discharge, it got reduced to 6%

6% is not ZERO and your battery can still revive.

The battery charging goes off at around 50% and in the app the percentage drops very quickly from there just sitting and watching it without even flying. I don't believe that the remote battery should drop like a stone from sitting idle even for 8 weeks. Looks like at least a bad battery.

I've been curious about the battery in the P4P+ RC. After reading/hearing of similar issues, I've decided to charge it when it shows 40% or less charge remaining. It's only had three charges this way, but so far, so good.

Experienced same issue twice. Once with p4, and last month with p4p. I took time to do some research on the net and came across a youtube video. The guy use a heat gun to heat up the soldering on RC board. Surprising it worked for me and a lot of people.

It certainly seems possible that the battery level reading could be misleading at best or just plain wrong at worst. The RC battery is a slightly different use lipo, not high current, and not super resilient in nature. I wouldn't put it away for more than 4 weeks at less than 65% without checking it and I would want it to be closer to 75% if it was going into any kind of longer term storage.

Reactions: John Locke
Keep charging the battery, hope it recovers. You left the battery at 30% charge and due to its internal discharge, it got reduced to 6%
I'm quite sure the RC battery doesn't include auto discharge. None of my RCs have ever exhibited auto discharge behavior with long term storage. Do remember where you heard that?

I think it's more likely the OP has a hardware problem. Storing the RC at 30% is a bad idea IMO, potentially contributing to the cause of the problem. Lithium batteries don't like to sit long term when discharged that much.

Last edited:
John not sure alokbhargava was saying RC has 'auto discharge' I read it as 'naturally discharged' internally over time. Anyhow curious how one knows it's down to 6% - that's quite specific? Agree, Lithium batteries should be stored between 40-60% charge - many posts on the chemistry of these batteries around.

John not sure alokbhargava was saying RC has 'auto discharge' I read it as 'naturally discharged' internally over time. Anyhow curious how one knows it's down to 6% - that's quite specific? Agree, Lithium batteries should be stored between 40-60% charge - many posts on the chemistry of these batteries around.
I think Litchi tells the exact percentage. That's what I assume the OP referring to.

Last edited:
Reactions: Loz
I'm guessing it was 30%. It likely was more. That said, it's not normal for the remote battery drop like a stone in storage, ime. I think the battery is shot. The remote is off to drone nerds repair. We'll see.

I'm guessing it was 30%. It likely was more. That said, it's not normal for the remote battery drop like a stone in storage, ime. I think the battery is shot. The remote is off to drone nerds repair. We'll see.
If you were guessing at 30%, how may LEDs did you consider to be 30%? Were there any LED's lighting up when you tested it by fast pushing the button to derive a 6% number?

I didn’t say that RC has auto discharge circuits. It’s my observation that when you leave your RC for long, battery discharges to lower values. Not sure if that’s true for brand new batteries or it’s there in all batteries left connected to electronic switches.

I didn’t say that RC has auto discharge circuits. It’s my observation that when you leave your RC for long, battery discharges to lower values. Not sure if that’s true for brand new batteries or it’s there in all batteries left connected to electronic switches.
OK, sorry for the misunderstanding. I read too much into your statement I guess.

After thinking more about this more, the OP saying he was guessing at 30%, it could be he had one LED showing which was interpreted as 30%. But one LED could be much less, I'm not sure. I have never let any of my RC's get below 2 LEDs of charge, so I don't know what happens when it discharges all the way, other than the GO4 app warning you with a red banner the RC battery is getting low. I don't know how many LEDs mean low battery, but I assume it's one LED when the RED banner appears in the GO4 app. I've seen that shown in this forum, but I've never experienced it. I would think the LED should blink when it's too low for comfort, but again, I don't know because I've never been there. The OPs interpretation of the LEDs for 30% and 6% has me a bit curious.

It's common knowledge that if the flight battery charge gets too low from sitting too long, the battery won't take a charge. I think that's because the "smarts" in the battery need a certain level of voltage to turn on the charge circuit, I would assume. It's known that when you get a battery that's so discharged that it won't take a charge, it can be revived with a little work. You have to take the battery apart and manually charge each cell of the battery by bypassing all of the charging "smarts", putting a charge directly to the wires coming direct from the cells. Once you charge each cell to a nominal level, the flight battery will charge normally again in the traditional way. There is a guy on ebay that sells NEW batteries in this "won't charge" condition for about $35/ea. If you take them apart and manually charge the cells, you can revive the battery and have a perfectly good battery for cheap.

However, in the RC, since the battery doesn't have same "smarts" of the flight battery, it's unclear if the battery gets into this same type of "won't charge" state or not. Since the RC is so easy to open up, easier than a flight battery, I would have suggested the OP try to jump start the battery manually in an attempt to revive it, just to see what happens. However, to do this you need a charger with the right capability (voltage) to charge a single cell at a time. In the case of the RC battery I'm not sure if individual cells are easily accessible like in the flight battery that supports equalization of the cells during charge. You might have to unwrap the battery to access individual cells.

When I turned on the remote initially, one led was blinking and the remote was beeping constantly. I knew it was at 6% because I turned the bird on and opened the app to see the remote battery was down to 6%. That alone is not right. I believe at least a cell went bad. I have never ever had a remote drop to nothing like that. Eight weeks is long for it to sit, butt not that long. This is a battery that was charged maybe 4 times and I always charged it around the 50% level because it takes too long to charge if it gets lower. I think it's more accurate to say it was at around 40% when I last flew it. It's a new bird for me and I haven't flown it much but enough to keep it happy and healthy between flights. This was the longest it sat due to winter weather. Plenty of people report bad batteries in their p4p remotes. Im guessing that's it. When charging it, it quit at 2 blinking leds which took around 2hrs. Then it would try to continue when i unplugged and replugged the charger but would quit. The next morning it actually was blinking 3 LEDs so I thought maybe I would get lucky, but it quit again. That's when I boxed it and sent it off to repair. I don't like guessing when flying. A proper fix is a must.

The battery charging goes off at around 50% and in the app the percentage drops very quickly from there just sitting and watching it without even flying. I don't believe that the remote battery should drop like a stone from sitting idle even for 8 weeks. Looks like at least a bad battery.
My P4 remote does this also ,I've been told that it’s a board in the remote.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT