P4P Prop Hubs

I'm going to take a slightly bold step forward here, (maybe because I started the thread) and give the PRO hubs a name for our purposes. "Shaft sprung hubs". Does that work?
After all DJI have not made ANY mention of these new shaft sprung hubs. I'm a big fan of these aircraft as most people on the forum are, but over the last few years we all can't help noticing that the props keep coming off. This time it was a "quiet" modification. Hmmmm......

Are those springs free to slide off the shaft?
If they are, can you see if they sit on the motor or does the hub have a plastic flange under them?
You know what I'm thinking here, drilling out hub, Springs from hardware store/Inkpen.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

These springs are special, they have a flange sitting under the hub so no way to slide off.
Like this;
1a44f6af995a0d97e95cb5f4b90c7e03.jpg

My question in this context is whether DJI has discovered weaknesses with the "old" supports. I have not read about cases where the old DJI has failed.

When I searched for these new support being provided by Phantom 4 Pro. I found alternative mounts in aluminum intended for DJI 4 Standard. Is there anyone who has tested these? Something tells me that the original nylon mounts will break off and will save the motor you have an accident

Seller writes that they are CNC made, which I thought seems unlikely based on the images displayed on E-bay. The price does not stand in relation to the CNC machining. Link your These mounts

Actually if you're using DJI blades they will snap off first.

Fantastic by DJI to release a product on the market that you do not get spare parts. I would assume that it's fun to have a DJI 4 Pro with faulty propeller shaft spring. This is amateurish. I have the impression that everything DJI sell so customers must wait in uncertainly. This is somewhat reminiscent Apple's sales philosophy. I am thinking not only in this party. Each Phantom models including Mavric so it often takes a long time before the retailer has the product in stock. Delivery Problems generally is not only for Norway where I come from.

I believe it's just a matter of time before they release the prop hubs for spares. They probably just need all their current stock for production. Once they catch up i'm sure the hubs will be released for spares as well.

Reactions: Norweigan
Are those springs free to slide off the shaft?
If they are, can you see if they sit on the motor or does the hub have a plastic flange under them?
You know what I'm thinking here, drilling out hub, Springs from hardware store/Inkpen.

I think that might be doable. This spring is a nice fit so it would have to be the same diameter etc of course...

I think that might be doable. This spring is a nice fit so it would have to be the same diameter etc of course...

That's what I'm thinking, I know the shaft size is 3MM and I would have to use a scale to measure the stock spring pressure so the replacement spring would have close to equal pressure.
When it's cold and snowy out I have time to tinker, and spare hubs in case I screw up LOL

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Reactions: Norweigan
That's what I'm thinking, I know the shaft size is 3MM and I would have to use a scale to measure the stock spring pressure so the replacement spring would have close to equal pressure.
When it's cold and snowy out I have time to tinker, and spare hubs in case I screw up LOL

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Snow hey.. it's going to be 39deg C tomorrow in Sydney. Ouch the only spring I want is one I can get in!!!

Reactions: elarryland
Sucessful installation and testing! Will I fly without the original springs in the future? NO. I want to find stronger springs with the same outer diameter for the coil. THEN I will fly them. I did fly it in a test and it behaved normally.

Blade Installed without the factory springs:
View media item 3099
Modified Hub:
View media item 3098
Hub with spring. If you use the same spring size I used they friction fit into the bottom of the hub when drilled with a 7/32" Drill bit.

View media item 3097
View media item 3095
View media item 3094
View media item 3093

Reactions: elarryland
I suppose the other thing is money. When they become available, every P4 owner is going to fit these new hubs. It's a no brainer. Anyone want to guess the math?

Hi, it's all good info and I was not aware of the new better design as I have only had the p3, now will be getting the P4. So, from everything I've read the new hubs are an improvement as they secure the props better?

DJI calls them more reliable. For what that's worth. I personally would trust the coil spring to last longer than the flat "blade" style springs myself.

Since they've now become available I did order the P4P prop hubs with the coil spring version. They should deliver soon.

Reactions: RémyHeli
Agree coil spring should less suffer metal fatigue and more balanced lock as centered, as well motor vents now fully open with new design which is a plus.

Kudos DJI !

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl