P4P Pano Mode Review | tl;dr I'm impressed

Love the idea of this new in-house Pano function, but it's sorta basic until you can do AEB panos with this thing... sounds like that is not supported by the Pano shooting mode?
Correct, no AEB support during pano modes. You can try to do it manually...depends on how stable the AC is and how fast moving objects like clouds are...would be great to have the AEB capability.

Correct, no AEB support during pano modes. You can try to do it manually...depends on how stable the AC is and how fast moving objects like clouds are...would be great to have the AEB capability.

Bummer. I currently shoot manual AEB pano runs but it's somewhat limited, there's always sort of a gamble on setting it up, and they get exponentially complicated if you want to do anything other than pan left to right (or vice versa). Wish there was an automated AEB pano...!

Reactions: DaRana
Bummer. I currently shoot manual AEB pano runs but it's somewhat limited, there's always sort of a gamble on setting it up, and they get exponentially complicated if you want to do anything other than pan left to right (or vice versa). Wish there was an automated AEB pano...!
Hopefully it will come to be in a future FW. There is a third party app in beta testing now called DronePan that supports AEB during auto pano capture, but there is no info on how soon it might be released. You can try the beta by contacting the developers through their Facebook group, just search for DonePan. There IS a release of DronePan but it doesn't work with the P4 series, just older ones like the P3 series.

This thread is great, learning about 360-panos och little planet from each other! You are so helpful Jeremy, I have to add something. :)
When I edit 360-panos I always struggle to fill the hole at the top, I use different methods in PS. But yesterday I saw this video on Youtube,
Look at 4:30 and thereafter. With this method it has become easier to fill the hole in a nice way.

This thread is great, learning about 360-panos och little planet from each other! You are so helpful Jeremy, I have to add something. :)
When I edit 360-panos I always struggle to fill the hole at the top, I use different methods in PS. But yesterday I saw this video on Youtube.
Look at 4:30 and thereafter. With this method it has become easier to fill the hole in a nice way.

Thanks for sharing the tip @AndersGB ! I’ll definitely take a look at it. I’ve had some trials and tribulations with getting the top filled nicely without a seam so anything helps. Still have to try out using a filter with photoshop CC 2018 pano mode, too, and see if that works. :)

/me adds to checklist.

Reactions: AndersGB
When I edit 360-panos I always struggle to fill the hole at the top, I use different methods in PS. But yesterday I saw this video on Youtube,

So I tried out Photoshop CC 2018 3d pano mode last night. TLDR it was not a success primarily due to unacceptable performance. I’m running it on a high end workstation rig so it shouldn’t be that, tho it was a very large file. With a 1.2gb PSB it took nearly 20 minutes to apply it into a photosphere, then every time I changed view angle, it paused for 5-10 seconds. I did a content aware fill on the top of the sky and that probably took 30 minutes. By comparison, it took 3 minutes when it was flat. The blemish and regular healing brushes were essentially unusable due to the speed. I could not get it to do a shift-clicked long line along a seam left after the content aware fill.

Now the good news was that if Incan figure out the performance, it worked great (eventually). The content aware fill in the sky was performed with it actually wrapped so the content awareness was logical and seamless! So that was impressive and cool. But I never did get it to fully work and gave up, just going and finishing up the pano with regular flat mode.

Anywho, here’s the shot from last night - click through for full photosphere viewable in browser.

Sunset Photosphere - Spring is coming - JeremyPollack.net

PANO10003-180411__pano--export-thumb.jpg

Last edited:
Unfortunately it looks like the pano mode was only added to the Pro not the Pro+. I say that from searching for a few mins, can’t find anywhere that says it was definitely released for the Pro+. They are the same bird (unlike the advance) so in theory I would think it should work if you connects a Pro remote with an iOS/Android device. But obviously that’s not a good option. :/
Hi
They are now in the process of beta testing pano mode for the P4A as well.

Cheers

Reactions: lolo780
IMG_0890.JPG
Never too old to learn new tricks! :) Just think of a new tool as just a new toy to play with. :)

Now you've got me thinking of maybe throwing together a few blog posts and/or videos on some of these tools and workflows. Let's just say what I've described here is just the tip of my workflow geekery. Be curious if that would be of interest @flyboy73 ?
I'd be interested. I started shooting 360vr panos for my architectural work in 2008.
But interest dropped off for (in my clients) when easy video clips became an option with less time/expense.
But have been doing 2-9 frame panos in Lightroom for several years and love them.
Now with a new P4p, I'd be interested to see what could be done.
Here's a 3 row, 9 frame pano I did with my P3p- shot maually and stitched in Lightroom.

Reactions: DaRana and flyboy73

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20