P4P or Mavic

Reaction score
I've almost saved enough $$$ to buy either a P4P or a Mavic. I already have a P3S and a P4.

I'm interested in what you guys see as the pros and cons of each. From what I've been able to glean, the P4P has a better camera and 5 direction obstacle avoidance. The Mavic is more compact and has a higher cool factor (IMO).

Casey Neistat made a pretty good comparison between the two here:

His verdict was that the P4P gives better footage but only slightly, the Mavic was easier to use so he would most likely go for that.

I'm interested in what you guys see as the pros and cons of each.
Which features are most important to you? That should really be your deciding factor.

5 direction obstacle avoidance
The P4P can only sense obstacles in 4 directions (all sides). And, when not flying in Tripod Mode or Beginner Mode, it'll only sense obstacles to the front or rear.

P4p is my first drone so sadly I have nothing to compare it to, but for it's camera alone I'd recommend it mate. I took the following photo as an 8 photo panorama (2x4) with each shot a 5 exposure hdr, so it's basically a 40 shot stitch! The latest firmware has introduced gimbal lock during a bracketed shot too so it's improved further. The only caveat being the fact you can't just throw it in a small bag like the mavic. As for obstacle avoidance, all 5 sensors only work in beginner and tripod mode, but if you're shooting through woodland slow and smooth I suppose it's a godsend!
So if portability is required, get the mavic, taking it out on a day trip will be a no brainier.
94945c1966d3dd69c33ab1c7ffd180ec.jpg

Since you already have nice "beginner" and "intermediate" quads to enjoy, I would wait for a bit for the DJI new model reveal, most likely next month, as I suspect there will be some nice features to consider (i.e. maybe a Mavic with 5 way avoidance, better camera, etc..).

Since getting a backpack for my P4P I almost never fly the Mavic. The camera on the Mavic is simply too poor. I only use the Mavic in two situations now:

1. When I'm doing something that requires a real backpack full of gear and the Mavic is all I can fit.

2. When I'm flying somewhere with many people around and want to be more stealth - the Mavic is significantly quieter than any Phantom model.

Had to sell my mavic due to the poor camera quality. I value image quality over portability. What is the use of convenience if the output of the camera is unusable? However, that's just me.

Reactions: AyeYo
Casey Neistat made a pretty good comparison between the two here:

His verdict was that the P4P gives better footage but only slightly, the Mavic was easier to use so he would most likely go for that.
Nice Video, but he was using a P4, not P4P....

So after lots of thinking, using the adage that the camera you have with you is better than the camera you don't have with you, and just for the cool factor, I've just ordered a new Mavic from the DJI store. Now I'm going to save up my pennies for the P5 when it's released...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Helen Y West