P4P is way better than P4? But is it worth it?

Reaction score
So, DJI have really stepped up a gear with the release of Phantom 4 Pro, Mavic Pro and Inspire 2.

I currently own a P4 and a newly (just arrived yesterday) Mavic Pro! Finally!

Now the question is, is it worth upgrading to P4P? I want to get the people who have P4 in the past or now and P4P opinion. It will almost cost twice as much. I have got footage of the P4 below but what I want to know is the 4k 60fps/mechanical shutter/change of aperture, are they really worth the money? They all really sounded appealing! But is it worth the money? how much better will that change the footage that i could get?

You and others here would notice the difference most likely but the average viewer may not.

A camera is a tool, nothing more for me personally. A great camera means nothing without a story to tell with it. If that upgraded camera on the Pro will add to your story in a way that your current one just simply cannot, then the upgrade has merit. If all you want is the absolute best and cost is not an obstacle, then the upgrade has merit.

From my perspective personally, what you seem to have now is perfectly capable if you use the tool the way it was intended (and you seem like you can).

Your P4 footage looks really good as far as I can tell on my phone's screen.

Now the question is, is it worth upgrading to P4P? I want to get the people who have P4 in the past or now and P4P opinion. It will almost cost twice as much. I have got footage of the P4 below but what I want to know is the 4k 60fps/mechanical shutter/change of aperture, are they really worth the money? They all really sounded appealing! But is it worth the money? how much better will that change the footage that i could get?
It all depends on what your requirements are.
Only you can decide whether it would make enough difference to you and your work to justify the price.
The camera is the big difference with a big increase in resolution and dynamic range.
For still photographers, that's what it's all about and the new machine is definitely worth it for still photographers wanting to create the best images.

I'm giddy over the P4P, but I haven't bought yet, primarily due to the lackluster range from the reports I've seen. Here's how I look at this situation:

1. I rarely shoot photos, but that might change. The new sensor has the most value IMO for increased photo clarity and resolution.
2. I rarely shoot 4K video because 98% of the people seeing my videos don't have a 4K method to view (TV or computer). So I always shoot 1080, today. This might change in a year.
3. All the other P4P features don't have much value to me (rear and side OA, new profile tracking, tripod).
4. The 10% larger battery I like, and I have already bought one for my P4.
5. Given the 3 antennas I ASSUME is uses for control signal (2.4Ghz and 5.8Ghz) and the video signal (2.4Ghz), that makes me believe that an antenna modification would need 3 antennas. Itelite is rumored to have a new antenna for P4P coming out in January, which I ASSUME will need 3 SMA connectors for the antenna wires. If that's true, boosting with 3 amplifiers would be even more bulky. Yuck.
6. P4P doesn't support 2X zoom yet, and I use that all the time while flying my P4 (only supported on iOS today). I would miss that feature.

Although I would love to buy a P4P to have an additional expense to write off this year, I'll be waiting for:

1. 2X zoom support on Android as well as iOS.
2. CrystalSky 7.9" tablet
3. Itelite antenna solution, so I know what's involved.
4. I may wait for P5, but I doubt if that will occur until Fall 2017 IMO.

It's more likely I'll buy a Mavic in the next week, since traveling would be easier with my drone.

Reactions: hotashes
I upgraded from P4 to p4p. I'm no professional but I'm glad I did it. The extra 10mph in P-GPS mode is super worth it along with the camera. Other good upgrades too. For me mine goes farther than my P4 did in my area. I've had mine out over 11,000 feet, haven't pushed farther yet.

I've only made one video after 8 months of owning my P4, and the actual flying, other than FPV, doesn't interest me very much. I'm satisfied with my images and video quality, and I don't like the idea I have to touch the screen to focus. Since I'm flying a lot of Litchi missions where my RC is disconnected from my bird for minutes at a time, focusing is a problem. Also, I like flying distance runs so a P4P battery would allow me to reach out farther but without the expense of a P4P.

I'm not against the P4P other than it probably will still be susceptible to airframe cracks like other Phantoms. My great hope in the drone world is that the P5 will have an airframe which will greatly resist cracks, especially when taken care of. So...I would be on the fence between the P4 and P4P if I had to replace my P4 since the P5 may be released a few months from now. If information comes out that it will have the same type of plastic airframe as the P4/P4P, I will probably stay with the P4, especially since the prices keep falling.

Reactions: snowghost
I have ap4p and it works great exelent vidro.
glad I bought it.
also have a p3p and p4

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20