P4P flying from inside car?

Reaction score
Hi all,
There's of bunch of threads talking about flying from inside a car (while stationary), and I've also seen a bunch of vids where people are flying while driving (eg follow me mode).

I couldn't see anyone talking about P4P in this case, I presume if it's okay to fly P4/P3 from inside a car P4P will have no problems?

Never tried it but I guess just take normal precautions, take it easy and check signals, keep it in line of sight etc. Anything else to watch out for etc, does windows down or up make a difference at all?

Any help would be great

External antennas make a big difference. It can be done as I do it regularly p3, but any drone will work if signal is good. Extreme caution must be used. I use a 24" monitor in the car which makes video easy to see.

Attachments

• external B.png
    external B.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 765
  • external A.png
    external A.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 745
Wowzers that's awesome Grammatron, what sort of $ for that kind of kit? Is it some special kind of antenna etc? Sorry I'm not up with third party electronics etc

Wowzers that's awesome Grammatron, what sort of $ for that kind of kit? Is it some special kind of antenna etc? Sorry I'm not up with third party electronics etc
Antennas $60 each
Amps $50 each
Batteries $60 each
Injectors $60 each
Cables (10ft) $30 each
Controller install kit $35
Performance - Priceless

I fly from inside my car not infrequently, especially this winter. Windows open or closed makes little diff to signal but I always leave them open as much as I can to ensure I can hear any aircraft. I was actually surprised as how little the signal was attenuated as long as I made a modicum of effort to keep line of site from antennas. Ie not putting it below dash or whatever. Its a nice option, though, for flying from places where it’s perfectly legal to fly standing outside with a big remote and shoulder harness might attract more onlookers than you want to deal with.

I actually modded up my Outback to be a Mobile AeroDrone :) shelving in back, skinny person bed which underwhich my trilodsnand chairs fit, cases fit just right. Having a nice work surface is so much nicer. Also marine playeood on the roof rails for landing and takeoff. I’ve actually flown the Mavic by just reaching it up out of the sunroof and putting it on the wood (which is offset enough to minimize compass interference).
IMG_6695.jpg

Inside, custom shelf. Shaped to fit hardshll Case on left, Mavic Case begind, RRS backpack. I lived in it for a week for the eclipse road trip last August
IMG_6895.jpg

Rooftop platform a la Ansel Adams. Doubles as drone landing pad for when the surrounding ground is not so great.

I fly from inside my car not infrequently, especially this winter. Windows open or closed makes little diff to signal but I always leave them open as much as I can to ensure I can hear any aircraft. I was actually surprised as how little the signal was attenuated as long as I made a modicum of effort to keep line of site from antennas. Ie not putting it below dash or whatever. Its a nice option, though, for flying from places where it’s perfectly legal to fly standing outside with a big remote and shoulder harness might attract more onlookers than you want to deal with.

I actually modded up my Outback to be a Mobile AeroDrone :) shelving in back, skinny person bed which underwhich my trilodsnand chairs fit, cases fit just right. Having a nice work surface is so much nicer. Also marine playeood on the roof rails for landing and takeoff. I’ve actually flown the Mavic by just reaching it up out of the sunroof and putting it on the wood (which is offset enough to minimize compass interference).
View attachment 95284
Inside, custom shelf. Shaped to fit hardshll Case on left, Mavic Case begind, RRS backpack. I lived in it for a week for the eclipse road trip last August
View attachment 95283
Rooftop platform a la Ansel Adams. Doubles as drone landing pad for when the surrounding ground is not so great.
Ansel_Large_1-960x540.jpg

That's awesome. I tried flying from inside a vehicle a couple times with no extra equipment and it was near impossible.

External antennas make a big difference. It can be done as I do it regularly p3, but any drone will work if signal is good. Extreme caution must be used. I use a 24" monitor in the car which makes video easy to see.

Legal, in a rural area, and IF you are not the driver of the car and the driver has no crew role in the flight mission.

Yes. This is precisely the inspiration for the roof. The first time I saw that photo many years ago I immediately knew I needed to set it up. While I was at it I just added a bit more on the inside :)
I didn't think vehicles had enough metal in them to hold up all that equipment?

If my wife saw that setup in our car, she would commit me. lol
Reason no 5645 as to why a Bachelor life is great!

No explanations about ANYTHING.

I just bought a new P4P Pro + and another guitar. The last GF (I terminated that relationship last week) started out SUPER cool, then the change occurs....

Time to fly then guitar with my mates.

Great days!

I didn't think vehicles had enough metal in them to hold up all that equipment?

Plenty probably don't. In fact, in looking I found some unhappy owners of even just the newer model Subaru Outbacks b/c of a change in design to the rails. But my '08 Outback is fine. The rails have three attachment points two the car and they line up well with the frame pillars, and the rails are flat enough that the force is pretty evenly distributed. I don't do burpees on there but no issues -- or hints of them -- to date. Just awesomeness! :)

I just bought a new P4P Pro + and another guitar. The last GF (I terminated that relationship last week) started out SUPER cool, then the change occurs....

Great days!

I keep reading "Time to fly the guitar with my mates"
I mean, that would be an awesome drone! Guitar-drone! You could def start a youtube channel for that one. :)

Hi all,
There's of bunch of threads talking about flying from inside a car (while stationary), and I've also seen a bunch of vids where people are flying while driving (eg follow me mode).

I couldn't see anyone talking about P4P in this case, I presume if it's okay to fly P4/P3 from inside a car P4P will have no problems?

Never tried it but I guess just take normal precautions, take it easy and check signals, keep it in line of sight etc. Anything else to watch out for etc, does windows down or up make a difference at all?

Any help would be great
I was in very bright daylight one day and thought if I just leaned inside my open trunk (boot), I'd get some shade and would be able to see the screen better. No go. I think all the metal around me interfered. So, from a car? I haven't tried it, but I don't think I'll bother for just that reason.

Interesting to see that others have good luck. If I'm near metal, I have problems. Once, at a skate park, I had to go way out in the grass before it worked. Just the metal lips around the park (and maybe rebar in the concrete?) kept me grounded.

If I'm near metal, I have problems. Once, at a skate park, I had to go way out in the grass before it worked. Just the metal lips around the park (and maybe rebar in the concrete?) kept me grounded.
If you launch from concrete on the ground, the rebar in concrete will throw off the sensors. I had the same experience in a friend's backyard on the concrete around their pool. Careful hand launching is often the best choice in such situations. Practice it beforehand. Hold the aircraft level, up off the ground, during boot up, and then use the slider in the app to launch with your left hand, with the RC hanging from a neckstrap, while holding the aircraft out in front of you with your right hand by the side of the right rear skid for best control. When the motors fully spin up, apply left throttle, and let go! Once you master this and hand catching, you can fly from anywhere, and will never experience a flip over upon takeoff or landing, and will not spray dust and debris into the motors or sandblast your lens filter! :cool:

I keep reading "Time to fly the guitar with my mates"
I mean, that would be an awesome drone! Guitar-drone! You could def start a youtube channel for that one. :)
Mate, I struggle with the weight of my Gibson LP whilst playing it. That's been retired now. Rickenbacker's are my thing at the moment...and drones.

I left the "n" out in my sentence, but, love your idea!

Great days!

Let me give you a little lesson, I’ve learned during my travels thru life! I’ve found that you’re better off just settling with someone, because no matter what you find, and grow tired of, you’ll only find another who also has things or problems you can’t deal with! Everyone of them have issues, it’s just a matter of finding that fine balance that you can deal with, otherwise, you’ll conduct that search forever! It’s kinda like taking that four mile flight over a forest, never knowing if you’ll make it back due to battery constraints, wondering which tree will you crash into, so fly wisely, and choose your landing spot!

Reactions: RobertJ
I live in northern Minnesota, where winters are less than hospitable. I was dieing to fly my new P3SE, so I took it to the park and flew till my fingers were numb, landed the drone and sat in the car to warm up my hands. My wife said "why don't you just fly it from inside the car", which was an extremely appealing idea. As soon as my fingers thawed, I tried it and it worked great. I only flew it out in front of the car where I had clear line of sight. I was able to practice POI and waypoint missions without freezing my digits.

Reactions: DaRana

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT