P4P Crash (Please advise)

Reaction score
P4P just fell from 120 FT for no reason that I can determine......

If someone could please advise me regarding my crash. DJI Phantom 4 Pro I have had for 3 years with no problems and hours and hours of flight time logged.

I was testing the "Active Track" following my car at about 120 feet I was switching from "Profile" mode to "Trace" mode and when I pressed the red X to cancel the Active Track the drone just dropped . I do not have any video but I do have the flight log/record. Where and who could I send it and in was type of file to try to determine the cause?

Also....the camera broke off and the shell and one arm is broken however it does power up....I do not have insurance or the DJI coverage.....what do you suggest for repair/replacment ??

I Have the CSV file however I am unable to attache here...... please advise where to send for assistance?

thank you!
(wanting to cry)
P4P Crash.jpg

I Have the CSV file however I am unable to attache here...... please advise where to send for assistance?
Upload your .txt data log to the link below and post a link back here to that to start with and we can take a look. You will most likely need the aircraft .dat but start with this one first. Instructions are on the link.

Log Viewer

Hopefully this is not another battery issue, as has been seen a few times with the P4's. This is as of yet an undetermined failure. But could be an improperly seated battery or any number of different scenarios. From what I have seen from "most" of these data files is inconclusive at best. And this includes the aircraft files as well. Since you mentioned that the aircraft will power up. If the device log ( .txt or .csv) do not reveal anything out of the ordinary, then the aircraft .dat file can be extruded for additional data.

Hopefully this is not another battery issue, as has been seen a few times with the P4's. This is as of yet an undetermined failure. But could be an improperly seated battery or any number of different scenarios. From what I have seen from "most" of these data files is inconclusive at best. And this includes the aircraft files as well. Since you mentioned that the aircraft will power up. If the device log ( .txt or .csv) do not reveal anything out of the ordinary, then the aircraft .dat file can be extruded for additional data.
Thank you for your suggestions, I will look into these.....for now however I need to find a replacement P4P only as I have the controller and many accessories.

Thank you for your suggestions, I will look into these.....for now however I need to find a replacement P4P only as I have the controller and many accessories.

OK...upon further review I believer the Stupid pilot of the drone hit a power line........look close....I should have!
crash.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: tleedom and Meta4
upon further review I believer the stupid pilot of the drone hit a power line
That is possible. Granted the supplied image is what it is, but tracing the power lines ( Not the sun shadows ) it appears that you were clearly underneath ( Or over top ) of the power lines according the the recorded flight path.. Unless your altitude changed before the Red X mark below, there was another issue. Since you obviously looked at the logs, take a look at your attitude values just before the aircraft fell. You should be able to tell if you actually hit the lines or not. Or post the link here and we can tell you.

power lines.png

That is possible. Granted the supplied image is what it is, but tracing the power lines ( Not the sun shadows ) it appears that you were clearly underneath ( Or over top ) of the power lines according the the recorded flight path.. Unless your altitude changed before the Red X mark below, there was another issue. Since you obviously looked at the logs, take a look at your attitude values just before the aircraft fell. You should be able to tell if you actually hit the lines or not. Or post the link here and we can tell you.

View attachment 107847

Thank you for this. I have reviewed the flight log and I was at 121 feet altitude when it shut down and dropped. I know that wire is not that high. The battery had been charged 72 times at this point and I believe still was in good condition. I did perform an abrupt stop with the right stick and suppose the battery could have jarred loose.

This is a real bummer !

I was at 121 feet altitude when it shut down and dropped.
Does the log indicate an abrupt end? Or does the battery show anything unusual. It sure would be nice to see the log rather than this continual guessing. Although, I grant you if this was an abrupt end ( And you have to completely review the .csv to be certain ) then it could be part of the "shutdown" series. If not then there are other possibilities.

One more question. Were there any lights on anywhere on the aircraft and/or the battery when you recovered it?

Thank you for this. I have reviewed the flight log and I was at 121 feet altitude when it shut down and dropped. I know that wire is not that high. The battery had been charged 72 times at this point and I believe still was in good condition. I did perform an abrupt stop with the right stick and suppose the battery could have jarred loose.

This is a real bummer !

This conversation is pointless speculation without the log file that you stated, in your original post, that you were going to provide.

Reactions: tleedom
Don't buy a new P4P. You definitely can repair it yourself for a fraction of the price. Buy a new top shell, a new gimbal yaw arm, a new gimbal ribbon cable and replace them all. Plenty of tutorial on the internet/on this forum

Ok...the rest of the story.....It was cold that day I was controlling from within my car and the bird was active tracking my car while trying to drive down the road, I wasn't watching the bird... The file shows a down-stick which must have happened while trying to drive and clipped the powerline......after 2 years I have become a little over-confident.

The P4P turns on and lights up and connects to the controller, I am trying to sell it all in one package (battery, controller, case, broken bird etc.)

The good news is I found a business that was selling 5 new P4P's in the box for 750 - 800 ....I got the last one for 700 ! I really wanted to move up to the v2.0 but couldn't pass up the deal. So I am back in the air and will be more careful......lesson learned!

The file shows a down-stick which must have happened while trying to drive and clipped the powerline.
What was the down stick value and duration? You can calculate ( and see ) the descent speed. We could give you a more definitive answer with the logs. Until then, as was mentioned above, speculation and discussion of the incident is basically point less.

OP seems to be going out of his way to hide the logs. ;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20