P4P and DJI RE Goggles.

Reaction score
Well, I have been playing around with the P4P and the goggles. I got a couple of Mini to Micro HDMI cables off Amazon, that work really well. About 1.5 meters long, maybe 1.7.
Not so far a stiff, so better than thed Fatshark cable I tried, supposed to be a good match, but strangely, the display was smaller using it. Similar to the Fatshark ND3's, not sure why. Nice display, full screen, great image and easy to fly, takeoff and landing!
Also tried them with USB, now that is sweet, what a pretty view. The extra HUD stuff is welcome and no tablet is OK too.
Also worked well with my Fpv fixed wing on 5.8ghz Analog. They worked well with the Eagle 2 Pro camera at 16x9.
So, very happy so far, looking forward to much more.

Have you tried any other 3rd party goggles with HDMI out with your P4P? I'm looking into it...but think the regular or RE version of the goggles are just far too expensive.

RoOSTA

Last edited:
Have you tried any other 3rd party goggles with HDMI out with your P4P? I'm looking into it...but think the regular or RE version of the goggles are just far too expensive.

RoOSTA
Hi, I did not. but a friend did and did not like the display, felt it was just not worth the $100 he paid for the HDMI Module for the P4P. He had Headplay and HD3's but the HD3's did not display the 720p @ 16x9 native, so it looked all wrong he said. The Headplay's, he liked to use 16x9, but they worked OK with the camera he had. SOOO, I bought his HDMO Module and Fatshark Cable and installed that module on my controller.

As to the price of the RE goggles, well break it down. RE, ready to use for Analog (40 channels) and Digital, does not need a radio module to work, comes with 2 antennas, uses 1 on the goggles. Does 720p or 1080p at 16x9 or 4x3, without image compression and distortion Glasses friendly, diopters for far vision are also available,Cost $550

Fatshark HD3's ($500), no radio, no antenna and a very limited battery that comes without a charger. Can't use glasses, requires expensive custom lenses for far vision and diopters for near vision perhaps to gain focus. So a charger, a diversity radio module set for them plus two antennas and lenses, cost $250+ for comparable performance, so now $750 plus.

RE goggles, weigh in just under 200 grams more, than HD3's ready to use like the RE goggles are. So, a little heavier but the weight is held up by your neck and forehead, not the bridge of your nose. Better soft silicone mask that fits the face with a delicate touch, not a constant weight on your face. The foam used in the adjustable headband, seems to be some kind of memory foam, it adjusts to the contours of your head and you tighten them up just a bit more after a while. Overall comfort, much better than Fatsharks but more balanced in viewing mode, more heavy when raised to look around.

The additional ability to use Occusync Air with the goggles is another plus. But not everyone is into other things FPV, but if you are, then this system is really nice.

I looked at all the alternatives, got to try a few at the club, but the WHITE Dji Goggles were to me the nicest. When I flew the fellows Mavic, with Head Gimble following, it was pretty darned nice. Now I have not done this yet with my P4P, but will soon. Just wanted to have the pure FPV look, so I could practice flying my new fixed wing FPV. But I am sure it will work just as well, but at a higher res of course. The beautiful image in the RE goggles is just, :hearteyes: wonderful. I love the HUD display, it is great. For the DJI drones, the new RE is still the better, because it has new internal designed antennas.

I have seen HD3's (with diversity 2 antennas) compared to these in the field, the RE's (with just 1 small mushroom antenna) are just as good and mostly better. Seems to have better penetration and even the range seems to be a little better. Only downside, 20 milliseconds of latency, which for anyone but a gate flying racer, is not a big deal. ;)

Are they worth it? That is a hard choice, think about it. You get room to expand your hobby, better antennas, great looks, more abilities. Good luck

At $449 (or $399 here on Amazon), the regular DJI Goggles are actually a pretty good value price-wise (and feature-wise). Here are some of the other commonly used FPV goggles/glasses:
Ageed, if you just want them for a DJI quad, then the white ones are just fine and a good price.
I bought the RE Racing bundle, so that I would have everything I needed to get a digital setup for a long distance fixed wing I want to build. You save maybe $200 or so this way, but you get everything including a nice backpack that I really like. :sunglasses:

Are they worth it? That is a hard choice, think about it. You get room to expand your hobby, better antennas, great looks, more abilities. Good luck

I guess if you plan on building or buying other drones or even building one yourself with an analogue transmitter, then yes, this can replace many other inferior goggles out there. However, at the moment, I am thinking from the perspective on a single pilot and for one drone - my P4P. Don't forget the costs involved for the HDMI board to replace inside the controller. I don't doubt the quality of the video transmission; it looks super heavy...but I suppose this is the only one we can buy (or white version) for things like gimbal/head tracking...

At $449 (or $399 here on Amazon), the regular DJI Goggles are actually a pretty good value price-wise (and feature-wise). Here are some of the other commonly used FPV goggles/glasses:

Thanks for the post. I guess if you want head tracking with the gimbal you're stuck with DJI. I just want something thats (at least) going to give me between great video feed transmitting over 2.4-5.8Ghz with FHD, preferably 1080p tat doesn't cost similar price to the DRONE itself!

THESE are the sort of prices you're looking to pay (AUD, where I'm from) just for goggles....and don't forget the HDMI port you need to buy as an ADD On to the controller. The costs are through he roof, might as well buy a 2nd drone! This is why I'm looking into 3rd party.

I guess if you want head tracking with the gimbal you're stuck with DJI.
That's correct.

and don't forget the HDMI port you need to buy as an ADD On to the controller
With the exception of the Epson Moverio BT-300 glasses, Cinemizer glasses, and the DJI Goggles (if you're connecting them via USB), you'll need to install the HDMI Output Module on the Phantom remote controller like this.

Reactions: roosta
I guess if you plan on building or buying other drones or even building one yourself with an analogue transmitter, then yes, this can replace many other inferior goggles out there. However, at the moment, I am thinking from the perspective on a single pilot and for one drone - my P4P. Don't forget the costs involved for the HDMI board to replace inside the controller. I don't doubt the quality of the video transmission; it looks super heavy...but I suppose this is the only one we can buy (or white version) for things like gimbal/head tracking...

Thanks for the post. I guess if you want head tracking with the gimbal you're stuck with DJI. I just want something thats (at least) going to give me between great video feed transmitting over 2.4-5.8Ghz with FHD, preferably 1080p tat doesn't cost similar price to the DRONE itself!

THESE are the sort of prices you're looking to pay (AUD, where I'm from) just for goggles....and don't forget the HDMI port you need to buy as an ADD On to the controller. The costs are through he roof, might as well buy a 2nd drone! This is why I'm looking into 3rd party.
The HDMI port does not give you 1080p, just 720p. The USB connection provides 1080p the best resolution, not the HDMI. So, if you are willing to fly with only goggles, you can get everything with just a USB cable.
Fatsharks, I am not that fond of, they don't produce that great of an image in my opinion. Box goggles are OK, can be fine for what you want, but none of them will connect by USB and give you complete control of your P4P like the DJI goggles.

I really wanted to like the DJI goggles. They worked pretty good using Ocu-Sync wirelessly with my Mavic. Although the head-tracking was novel, but after thoroughly checking out the functionality of that, I would never use that capability. To me head-tracking is a novelty, but that's me.

This real disappointing part is when connected to my P4 RC via HDMI cable, the video was not good, like 540 resolution, whereas the Mavic was clear via wireless Ocu-Sync. I tried everything, thinking it should be easy to make the goggles work via HDMI, because my Headplay goggles worked great via HDMI. Maybe it was a firmware issue in the goggles, wasn't refined yet maybe. I would have kept them just for the Mavic, because it was good clarity, but at the end of one flight my neck hurt, and I never have neck problems. They're just too heavy for me, so I sold them. I've been wanting to try some Eachine Goggles2 to see how those work. I have the Eachine Goggles 1 and they are incompatible with DJI craft, as the OSD is half missing at the top and bottom of the screen. They apparently fixed that in the Googles 2 version, so I'm told.

As for my P4P, I didn't have it when I bought the DJI goggles. But I can't get the HDMI port to work in my GL300F anyway, likely a firmware issue, and I'm not changing firmware from 1.3.509, because I love the freedoms available with that version.

Is there anyone else out there flying P4P with 1.3.509 craft firmware that has the optional HDMI port working properly?

Reactions: CANEKiTA
I really wanted to like the DJI goggles. They worked pretty good using Ocu-Sync wirelessly with my Mavic. Although the head-tracking was novel, but after thoroughly checking out the functionality of that, I would never use that capability. To me head-tracking is a novelty, but that's me.

This real disappointing part is when connected to my P4 RC via HDMI cable, the video was not good, like 540 resolution, whereas the Mavic was clear via wireless Ocu-Sync. I tried everything, thinking it should be easy to make the goggles work via HDMI, because my Headplay goggles worked great via HDMI. Maybe it was a firmware issue in the goggles, wasn't refined yet maybe. I would have kept them just for the Mavic, because it was good clarity, but at the end of one flight my neck hurt, and I never have neck problems. They're just too heavy for me, so I sold them. I've been wanting to try some Eachine Goggles2 to see how those work. I have the Eachine Goggles 1 and they are incompatible with DJI craft, as the OSD is half missing at the top and bottom of the screen. They apparently fixed that in the Googles 2 version, so I'm told.

As for my P4P, I didn't have it when I bought the DJI goggles. But I can't get the HDMI port to work in my GL300F anyway, likely a firmware issue, and I'm not changing firmware from 1.3.509, because I love the freedoms available with that version.

Is there anyone else out there flying P4P with 1.3.509 craft firmware that has the optional HDMI port working properly?
You know, I had a strange experience, I think I mentioned it earlier. I used a HDMI cable from Fatshark that was Male mini to mini with a mini to micro adapter. I only got to use it a couple of times, before my neighbor managed to destroy it. So, I had to replace it. Bought a Mini to Micro HDMI cable (2 of them) off Amazon. Put one on and the video was wonderful and filled the screen.

The Fatshark cable, I did not get full screen for some reason, big but not full. Video quality was a bit grainy to me, but useable. The new cable was a completely view. Now I don't know why this was the case, it was new, I was unfamiliar with them, so maybe I did not select full screen as I thought? But whatever, the video is quite nice to me through the HDMI. The USB link is a bit better, but the 720p, if that is what I see with the HDMI, is pretty darn good.

I have read of issues with cables, thought it was going to be difficult to find the right one. But no, just an ordinary cable and it works great.

Now, the RE goggles are not the same as the regular ones, they say there has been a bit updated inside. So maybe the RE is better? I may get a chance to compare them this weekend, a friend has the white ones. We could link each to the P4P and see if there is any difference.

It will be a busy day Sunday, so I will try. We will be flying some new FPV planes, new means probably have to mess with it.:rolleyes: I will be one of those with a new plane, 1st time I will fly it FPV. I did take it around a bit LOS, it flew well. Now I have to get under the goggles and do it!

I find the P4P flews great using the RE's, either USB or HDMI. I can land or take off easily and flew around trees in the park a low altitude to get a little experience. It was just fun. Much easier I find than with the tablet, better depth perception for some reason.:)

Ah, that clears up a misconception of mine. No HDMI board add-on required for DJI goggles...especially if the USB connection to the RC grants the 1080p. With head tracking that makes things a little more interesting. Thanks Bakersfield Quad and msinger :)

Last edited:
No probl
Ah, that clears up a misconception of mine. No HDMI board add-on required for DJI goggles...especially if the USB connection to the RC grants the 1080p. With head tracking that makes things a little more interesting. Thanks Bakersfield Quad and msinger :)
No problem, it is a bit confusing, not that well documented.

Interesting thread. Id love to go FPV. Currently I have the P4P+

Thought about the Avegant Glyph. The DJI Goggles and the DJI RE edition.

Put simply, like me, just for using with my P4P+ which is recommend? I would like the best resolution. So DJI RE? Could the DJI RE be used just by me for anything else? 3D movies for example?

Best used with HDMI Cable or USB?

Put simply, like me, just for using with my P4P+ which is recommend? I would like the best resolution. So DJI RE? Could the DJI RE be used just by me for anything else? 3D movies for example?

Keep researching, there isn't a simple answer

Yeah I'd like to know more about the RE's "local playback. Off a microSD or cable connected device?

RoOSTA

I'd consider the Epson BT-300 as a lighter more flexible alternative to the DJI goggles, I've been watching all manner of 3d movies on it. I use it on all my drones from the P4P, MP, MPP and Spark

See this review by Ed Ricker

I'm sadly in a position where I'd like to try before I buy, but it's not possible where I am :(

I like Ed Ricker, his reviews are solid.

Thanks for the post. I am in the process of getting the RE for my P4PO. I am glad to find out that the USB connector will work and it is in 1080P. Is this still the case since this post is 3 months old? I dont have a hdmi adapter which is a plus for me if the RE works through USB. Thanks again.

Where are you located

I'm in Melbourne, VIC Australia

I watched many more review videos, read up on the documentation and also sought feedback from sellers in my state - and even though I didn't really get a chance to trial, I ended up taking advantage of an ebay deal to score nearly $200 off a purchase, so I ended up buying a pair. Yet to properly test it myself.

RoOSTA

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik