P4P 500m Absolute Altitude limit and Auto RTH Question

Reaction score
I have a question about the how auto RTH feature sees the 500m hard coded altitude limit that I'm afraid to do a test for...

I have a range of small mountains nearby that I'd like to explore but I believe the highest peak is slightly over the 500m firmware altitude limit. My question is this:

Since the P4P only considers altitude above launch point, will the obstacle avoidance algorithm allow the drone to exceed the 500m limit on an auto RTH in order to avoid an obstacle (like a mountain peak). It seems like this would be something it should do, especially since many drone laws consider altitude to be AGL and hopping over a mountain peak or even a building would be perfectly legal.

I'm definitely not planning to test this, but was wanting to know how the drone might behave if I lost signal while the highest peak was potentially between the drone and the home point.

Thanks,
Don

DonT go to find a issues... if you are a 500mt altitude, the drone canT go up more, also with the avoidance obstacle and they not will work and your drone crash in to the tree

I have a question about the how auto RTH feature sees the 500m hard coded altitude limit that I'm afraid to do a test for...

I have a range of small mountains nearby that I'd like to explore but I believe the highest peak is slightly over the 500m firmware altitude limit. My question is this:

Since the P4P only considers altitude above launch point, will the obstacle avoidance algorithm allow the drone to exceed the 500m limit on an auto RTH in order to avoid an obstacle (like a mountain peak). It seems like this would be something it should do, especially since many drone laws consider altitude to be AGL and hopping over a mountain peak or even a building would be perfectly legal.

I'm definitely not planning to test this, but was wanting to know how the drone might behave if I lost signal while the highest peak was potentially between the drone and the home point.

Thanks,
Don

The aircraft knows nothing about AGL or the legality of its situation, only altitude above launch point. If it encounters an obstacle during RTH it will not exceed the set altitude (above launch point) limit. A number of owners have found that out the hard way; it will stop and hover until low battery autoland kicks in.

Could you simply launch from a higher starting point?

More of just a curiosity question. Seems like DJI should allow this since the auto pilot would know it is within a certain distance of a fixed obstacle while in the process of avoiding it.

More of just a curiosity question. Seems like DJI should allow this since the auto pilot would know it is within a certain distance of a fixed obstacle while in the process of avoiding it.

It would not be unreasonable, but it's not how it is implemented.

Thanks,
Don
If you are at 500 ft your Bird will re calculate height to 500m above the altitude of takeoff . I just had a buddy go to Colorado he was at 1200feet he was still able to fly 500m....you are good to go Sir!

If you are at 500 ft your Bird will re calculate height to 500m above the altitude of takeoff . I just had a buddy go to Colorado he was at 1200feet he was still able to fly 500m....you are good to go Sir!

I think the lowest elevation anywhere in Colorado is around 3400 ft, but your point is correct - it's 500 m above takeoff elevation. I interpreted the OP to mean that the obstacle in question may be more than 500 m above his takeoff point, but perhaps he meant 500 m above MSL.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20