P4 RC No status light

Reaction score
Hi All,
I have recently updated the firmware on my P4. It was having similar problems to many other P4 pilots after doing the firmware updates. Poor image, green and sometimes purple screen, sometimes the bottom half is solid green, gives warning of weak signal etc. The drone is on the latest firmware for everything including using a new iphone X and the latest app version. Now the big issue is when I turn everything on at the desktop, I get a clear image from the camera to the iphone but I do not have the solid green status light on the RC. With all the research,its indicating the RC is not linked to the drone. So I performed the linking RC (a few times), I downgraded the firmware on the RC and then reconnected to wifi, turned everything on and it immediately told me I needed to upgrade the firmware for the RC. So I updated the RC firmware again and the same thing. No status light on the RC but its obviously linked because all the functions work. I can pan the camera left/right, I can power up the drone (no props - inside), throttle up and move both sticks and all appears to work as it should. I can take photos but when I go to take a video another problem starts. The camera pans full left and then slowly pans back to centre and the video link goes all crazy with the green screen, fuzzy lines, weak signal message etc.
I am reluctant to take it outside and fly given these issues.
I have tried different lightning cables (3 including 1 brand new apple), I have tried 3 different SD cards (2 x 8gb sandisk and 1 16gb)
Has anybody has this problem?

thanks Rob

PS thanks for all the help with my P3P. I installed a new gimbal motherboard and its flying great.

Last edited:
Did you try gimble calibration,any change?what colour you gimble light ?mayby try this manual relinking
Screenshot_20180325-193131.jpg
,Here's a camera light chart aswell,bit unsure at moment of green screen till it paired properly,that could be transmission channel selection
Screenshot_20180331-162452.jpg

Did you try gimble calibration,any change?what colour you gimble light ?mayby try this manual relinkingView attachment 100967 ,Here's a camera light chart aswell,bit unsure at moment of green screen till it paired properly,that could be transmission channel selectionView attachment 100968
Hi Ianzone,
Thanks for your suggestions. I tried the gimbal calibration and it was fine and the RC obviously is talking to the drone. The gimbal light is fixed/solid green as it should be. I did another RC link and noted the blue light comes on and flashes during the linking process for the RC with the usual beeps. At the same time I noted the gimbal light changes from solid green to orange and flashes. Then I press the link button and it changes to solid green as it should. The only light that does not show is the green status light on the RC. Also when I turn off the drone the RC status light comes on solid red as it should, so all in all the only real problem is the missing green light.
I also tried your suggested manual relinking method but could not get the beeps or the process to commence. (I tried a few times)

I think I am going to chance a close proximity flight tomorrow if no rain and see how it responds in the outdoors.

thanks again for your input and suggestions.

Hi Ianzone,
Thanks for your suggestions. I tried the gimbal calibration and it was fine and the RC obviously is talking to the drone. The gimbal light is fixed/solid green as it should be. I did another RC link and noted the blue light comes on and flashes during the linking process for the RC with the usual beeps. At the same time I noted the gimbal light changes from solid green to orange and flashes. Then I press the link button and it changes to solid green as it should. The only light that does not show is the green status light on the RC. Also when I turn off the drone the RC status light comes on solid red as it should, so all in all the only real problem is the missing green light.
I also tried your suggested manual relinking method but could not get the beeps or the process to commence. (I tried a few times)

I think I am going to chance a close proximity flight tomorrow if no rain and see how it responds in the outdoors.

thanks again for your input and suggestions.
Here's a remote light chart,,yes few funny light patterns around,had a search all I could find .2 posts with good result,,one say rc calibration worked and one say unplug rc battery and it worked,,if it work for you choice,,if I find something else I post it
Screenshot_20180708-205425.jpg
,,,,,,,it's not beeping when red ,did the remote get update ok,I don't think it's a firmware issue,is your wifi off,could be conflicting with usb

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, so its been a few days since suggesting I wuld go out and try in the field. Its monsoon season here in Thailand and the weather has been terrible, hence the delays. Well today I went out with wind (18-25kms) and slightly higher gusts but I needed to test the drone. All start up procedures carried out and tested within 300m range to be on the cautious side. Everything works as it should, all stick inputs work, camera stills works but as soon as I try the video its goes green, purple, stalls from live feed, split screens of 2 images and so on. Its very hard to watch. Another point I wanted to confirm was the green RC status light function. Well it never came on during my flight of approx 20mins but I never felt out of control, in fact if I had to guess now whats wrong, I am tipping the green LED might be faulty. The video is another thing but it is getting better as before I had "No Image transmission" and no live feed, so I plan to keep wearing down all the possibilities until I get the thing flying as it should.
Oh one other thing, I tried switching between P, S, & A and each time a little pop-up came on saying I cannot swtich between modes. ???
More research needed here as I wanted to try sport mode.

What happens when you turn the phantom off with the RC still on, do you get a red LED light? if not something is a miss..could be a loose wire connection inside the remote.

What happens when you turn the phantom off with the RC still on, do you get a red LED light? if not something is a miss..could be a loose wire connection inside the remote.

Hi Alan, Thanks for your reply to this unusual situation. Yes the RC status light immediately comes on red when the aircraft is powered down. I did know that from before when I was working through all the possibilities but forgot to mention it in the thread but thanks for raising it in case somebody else thinks to ask.
I am thinking on rolling back the firmware next time I get a day to myself, maybe even a few and then slowly update.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic