P4 Pro - first flight image information (keep reading)

Reaction score
First flight today and although it was cloudy and overcast, it did give me an opportunity to check out the files (sizes, quality, etc). Some facts:

- DNG from camera to card - 35.8mb
- DNG opened into Photoshop from Lightroom to edit - 101.1mb
- DNG export to highest quality JPG from Lightroom - averaging 12-14mb (but the attached JPG is slightly less due to some cropping).

Here is one edited shot and the original DNG from it. All settings were stock EXCEPT I went -1 on sharpness to be safe.

Dropbox - Phantom 4 Pro image samples

Flying was really no different than the P4 EXCEPT it does seem to be more stable on hover. Stable like, Mavic stable. I got out a good ways and never had a hiccup on reception (where I specifically know I have hiccups with my Inspire Pro and P4).

I am not sure that I ever noticed it with any other DJI product but I did notice today that the shutter button on the controller has a half-press option (like a regular camera would have for setting focus). If that was in previous models, I simply missed it.

I received an error of "high wind interference please ensure your flight path is safe" or something similar. I've never seen that one before (and there was ZERO wind).

Once you take a still shot, the selector highlight for ISO, shutter or f/stop goes away. You have to press the wheel again to engage one of them (vs. it staying on the same setting from the previous shot).

I do like the camera a lot and the stability/agility has only improved over the P4. Hope this was helpful.

Thanks for that input, nice to hear. Can you disclose how far you flew away from home point to the place you usually have hiccups with P4 and Inspire? Is this near building/homes or out in the open such as hills or fields?

Did you have it set to AUTO channel, or did you pick a custom channel? If it was custom, what bit rate were you set to? 4mbps?

It was out over a river. I would say the hiccups from where I was would normally have started around 1500ft BUT there are a few train tracks that run along the river and I chalk a lot of it up to that. I would say I easily made it 2500 feet and had plenty left. I will certainly be testing long range capabilities when I can get to a rural setting.

It was out over a river. I would say the hiccups from where I was would normally have started around 1500ft BUT there are a few train tracks that run along the river and I chalk a lot of it up to that. I would say I easily made it 2500 feet and had plenty left. I will certainly be testing long range capabilities when I can get to a rural setting.
That would be great. Please include details about if you use a windsurfer, or plain stock controller setup.

Thanks for that...the file looks great. I know its early days for you but do you think the camera is noticeably better for stills?
I'm not sure why this is even a question.

A 1" sensor will be night and day better than the P4/P3P sensor and optics. Don't over think it. It's not even an issue.

Reactions: hidaven
First flight today and although it was cloudy and overcast, it did give me an opportunity to check out the files (sizes, quality, etc). Some facts:

- DNG export to highest quality JPG from Lightroom - averaging 12-14mb (but the attached JPG is slightly less due to some cropping).

Here is one edited shot and the original DNG from it. All settings were stock EXCEPT I went -1 on sharpness to be safe.

Dropbox - Phantom 4 Pro image samples

Flying was really no different than the P4 EXCEPT it does seem to be more stable on hover. Stable like, Mavic stable. I got out a good ways and never had a hiccup on reception (where I specifically know I have hiccups with my Inspire Pro and P4).

I am not sure that I ever noticed it with any other DJI product but I did notice today that the shutter button on the controller has a half-press option (like a regular camera would have for setting focus). If that was in previous models, I simply missed it.

I received an error of "high wind interference please ensure your flight path is safe" or something similar. I've never seen that one before (and there was ZERO wind).

Once you take a still shot, the selector highlight for ISO, shutter or f/stop goes away. You have to press the wheel again to engage one of them (vs. it staying on the same setting from the previous shot).

I do like the camera a lot and the stability/agility has only improved over the P4. Hope this was helpful.

Curious what the half press of the shutter button does. Its it for focusing?

The manual describes the shutter button as being "two stage" but it does not explain the stages at all. It seems like it would be a half press to focus though.

great input ... thanks for the sample images!

Thanks for this. Love seeing the raw files, and always like peeking into someone else's workflow.

Thanks for those posted images. Are there any other images from the P4P posted here in full size and with a high shutter speed? (1/500th or more)

Curious what the half press of the shutter button does. Its it for focusing?
Here is a video that shows what the focusing and half press does. There is an assisted zoom option in the settings
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Excellent post. Thank you

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic